Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

Bensch88

Jan 15, 2012
Germany
Gotta give credit to the leafs. I thought they were dead and buried but nice comeback so far. Script says the will Lose game 7 cause its written with delicious leafs tears.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
AI isn't taking over the world anytime soon :

Who will be the teams competing in the 2024 Stanley Cup Finals?​

Based on the provided search results, it appears that the teams competing in the 2024 Stanley Cup Finals are not explicitly mentioned. However, we can analyze the information provided to make an educated guess.
The search results include various articles and snippets about the 2024 NHL playoffs, including the first-round schedule, predictions, and team standings. One article mentions that the Boston Bruins and Toronto Maple Leafs will face off in the second round, while another article mentions that the New York Rangers made the playoffs as the Presidents’ Trophy winners.
Based on these snippets, it is possible that the teams competing in the 2024 Stanley Cup Finals could be the Boston Bruins and Toronto Maple Leafs, but this is not explicitly stated.

AI-generated answer. Please verify critical facts.

:huh:

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I main takeaway from the last 2 Leafs-Bruins games is the Bruins loss of top 6 centers has definitely reared its head.
This looks like the Bruins team I was expecting to see all season. Struggling to find any offense, maintain possession, and having to try and win low scoring games through good to great defensive play.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I main takeaway from the last 2 Leafs-Bruins games is the Bruins loss of top 6 centers has definitely reared its head.
This looks like the Bruins team I was expecting to see all season. Struggling to find any offense, maintain possession, and having to try and win low scoring games through good to great defensive play.
You can cover up a lot of issues in the regular season, and Boston has an elite coach with one of the best systems in the game. It doesn't hide a pure lack of talent at important positions. Especially in a long series where adjustments are made. Top end wings help, but just due to how the positions are utilized, they'll struggle if there is a weakness at center. Pasta certainly needs to play better, but the lack of a legit top 6 center really hurts his ability to be dangerous.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Both Vegas and Dallas have better coaching than Bowness and Winnipeg. In regular season you kind of just play your game and teams don't prepare that much to adjust in accordance to what the other team is going throw at them. Playoffs are different beast because you play the same team over and over again. Bowness had 0 answers for Colorado's transition game and Colorado tightened things up in the neutral zone and defending the blue line after game 1.

Peter Deboer is an experienced coach who will have his team prepared for what Colorado is going to throw at them. They've done a good job at slowing a loaded Vegas team down as their series has progressed.

Colorado has wiped the floor with teams in the 1st round before only to really struggle once they face better prepared teams (2019 - killed Calgary, lost to San Jose; 2020 destroyed Arizona, lost to Dallas [yes, I know Bowness was the coach]; 2021 absolutely annhilated St. Louis, then feebly lost to Vegas, IMO Bednar's worst coaching performance in his tenure here). The difference now is that they've won it all, and have that experience and confidence to fall back on. Another huge difference is we have scoring depth, which we only ever had in the Cup year.

Deboer has also pwned Bednar twice in the playoffs. We got destroyed from a systems POV in that Vegas series.

Reactions: The Moops

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You can cover up a lot of issues in the regular season, and Boston has an elite coach with one of the best systems in the game. It doesn't hide a pure lack of talent at important positions. Especially in a long series where adjustments are made. Top end wings help, but just due to how the positions are utilized, they'll struggle if there is a weakness at center. Pasta certainly needs to play better, but the lack of a legit top 6 center really hurts his ability to be dangerous.

Seriously, it's crazy they've gotten this far with a top two center tandem of...Pavel Zacha and Charlie Coyle!?!?!?

We're also witnessing what happens to the Bruins when Jeremy Swayman is the second-best goalie on the ice. Not to say Swayman was bad in either loss, but in terms of GSAA I believe Woll was better, and the B's looked utterly punchless.

What would be hilarious is if game 7 was an all-out barnburner and the Leafs lost despite finally scoring more than 2 effing goals in a postseason game.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Doughty is more realistic than Kopitar. They both were asked if they think they have a good enough team to win in the playoffs, Kopitar said yes, Doughty said we haven’t proven we can win so…. He didn’t wanna say NO straight up, but obviously he doesn’t think so

I don't think that's a particularly helpful mindset though. Which isn't that surprising to me, because I don't think Doughty is a particularly good leader.

That kind of mindset creeps into other areas, and it's inevitably going to come out somehow, and have some sort of impact on not just your own game, but your teammates, when you're viewed as one of the leaders on a team.

You're always better off believing in yourself, no matter what the situation. Questioning yourself almost always works against you. Makes you hesitant, hurts your execution, saps your fighting spirit, causes you to miss chances. Confidence does the exact opposite, that's why it's key in so many areas of life.

There's so much parity, and so little margin for error now in the NHL, that the smallest things can make a difference. If you don't truly believe in your team, and your teammates, you could easily lose the small edge that makes a difference between winning and losing.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I don't think that's a particularly helpful mindset though. Which isn't that surprising to me, because I don't think Doughty is a particularly good leader.

That kind of mindset creeps into other areas, and it's inevitably going to come out somehow, and have some sort of impact on not just your own game, but your teammates, when you're viewed as one of the leaders on a team.

You're always better off believing in yourself, no matter what the situation. Questioning yourself almost always works against you. Makes you hesitant, hurts your execution, saps your fighting spirit, causes you to miss chances. Confidence does the exact opposite, that's why it's key in so many areas of life.

There's so much parity, and so little margin for error now in the NHL, that the smallest things can make a difference. If you don't truly believe in your team, and your teammates, you could easily lose the small edge that makes a difference between winning and losing.
I don’t disagree, but maybe Doughty was sending a message to Blake to make some changes. He did screw up big time trading for PLD

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
That's a good point. I can see him being like MacKinnon in that way.
Yeah, specially for Doughty and Kopitar they only have what? Like 2 more years of good hockey left in them, so I can understand at least one of them sending that message to Blake to make some changes. Also don’t blame Kopitar for being humble since he’s the captain of the team

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

When you lose three times in a row to the same team and each year they beat you worse than the previous year, you need to be realistic.

Doughty is vocalizing what every Kings fan knows and what his GM needs to hear. The team can't beat Edmonton, how tf can they contend for a cup?

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
It has the most boring series so far, no question. Every media member has said it. Even the Rangers-Washington series was more entertaining to watch.
I’m quite disappointed to be honest. I haven’t watched much van this year but I thought they’d be playing with more pace with the personel they have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad