Around the NHL: The 2024 NHL Playoff Thread

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Toronto was the far better team tonight. They’ve really turned this series around the last 2 games. Everyone thought they were done when Matthews went down but they actually look like a better overall team so far without him. It could just be coincidence though. Switching to Woll in net has been huge, and the leafs are playing more desperate, and better defensively.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Leafs look good, it doesn't really matter tho, either team probably doesn't get passed Florida.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Toronto was the far better team tonight. They’ve really turned this series around the last 2 games. Everyone thought they were done when Matthews went down but they actually look like a better overall team so far without him. It could just be coincidence though. Switching to Woll in net has been huge, and the leafs are playing more desperate, and better defensively.
Meh, Toronto pretty much won the series tonight. It will be comical watching Florida dismantle them in round 2 though.

I'm hoping Nashville comes back and eliminates Vancouver and Vegas can somehow take out the Stars but not holding my breath.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The Leafs coming back would stink, but the Bruins choking in round 1 again would be a nice consolation prize. I have to say, Pastrnak looks terrible this series. Seems disinterested in the physical play. Also, I'm surprised how good Bertuzzi and Domi look. They've brought what's been missing from this Leafs team.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020

This has been my dream scenario up to now. For game seven I'm hoping for an 8-0 rout. Don't care who.

Better yet, quintuple overtime ending with a defenseman bouncing the puck into his own net off the goalie's head.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
After Matthews went out, it looks like the team committed to a simple dump-chase-forecheck game, with a better effort to defend. Maybe the combo with Marner out and then still playing poorly, Nylander only breaking his spell last night...etc. Basically the whole team committed to a simple game when they realized the big four weren't going to win it for them (and yes, the big four are part of the problem but talent has bailed them and the team out at times).

I still hate Boston with a seething passion based on the olden days, so I'm good with a Tor comeback. It's not like the Leaf fans can celebrate for more than two weeks anyway.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
After Matthews went out, it looks like the team committed to a simple dump-chase-forecheck game, with a better effort to defend. Maybe the combo with Marner out and then still playing poorly, Nylander only breaking his spell last night...etc. Basically the whole team committed to a simple game when they realized the big four weren't going to win it for them (and yes, the big four are part of the problem but talent has bailed them and the team out at times).

I still hate Boston with a seething passion based on the olden days, so I'm good with a Tor comeback. It's not like the Leaf fans can celebrate for more than two weeks anyway.

It's crazy but the Leafs winning these last two games may have saved Keefe's job for another year.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
This has been my dream scenario up to now. For game seven I'm hoping for an 8-0 rout. Don't care who.

Better yet, quintuple overtime ending with a defenseman bouncing the puck into his own net off the goalie's head.

I think the better scenario would be Toronto goes into the 3rd period up 3-0, and then proceeds to choke the game away for a 4-3 (OT) Boston victory final score. It would be a nice callback to ~10 years ago.

Reactions: Dingo44

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I think the better scenario would be Toronto goes into the 3rd period up 3-0, and then proceeds to choke the game away for a 4-3 (OT) Boston victory final score. It would be a nice callback to ~10 years ago.
Sure. But Leafs fans have already processed something like that and a repeat may not have the effect I'm looking for. I think I'd prefer some fresh hell for them. You know -- something that would discourage them from making the drive to KBC for about a decade. Scoreless tie through two periods, Bruins score eight in the third to close it out. Close-ups of Mitch Mariner sobbing uncontrollably on the bench while Nylander side-eyes him. Delicious.

The Boston fanbase, on the other hand, really could use a psyche-rattling cataclysm. How about this -- Swayman gets knocked out of the game after getting trucked by Jake McCabe. Ullmark steps in and plays flawlessly -- then 5OTs and Carlo banks it in off his head.

In either case, winner gets swept next round.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's not like the Bruins didn't blow a 3-0 lead a few years back and they also were up on Florida last year and unable to close things out. They have their own ghosts. It would surprise me if the Leafs advance.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad