Prospect Info: Sam Rinzel D Chaska High School-Minnesota 25th overall

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
C. Dach, Vlasic, Del Mastro, Harding, and Regula are all 6' 4" or over. And there's a few more around 6' 3" who were aquired by Bowman. To say they didn't take chances on bigger prospects is clearly incorrect.
Throw Kirby Dach on that list as well.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
There's clearly a lot of projection here....but his physical attributes at this point must have sold Davidson to take him there.....I'm so tired of the previous regime not taking a chance on a bigger prospect......I'm shoveling coal in the Davidson train!!!!!!!
HIs problem was taking under sized d-men in the first round. He did not shun larger players overall.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I read somewhere that he projects to be a top bottom pairing D man.....which I think is fairly idiotic given his attributes......recent drafts have upgraded the size factor on D in the organization---I look forward to a bigger, rangier and hopefully nastier Dman unit in the years ahead.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I read somewhere that he projects to be a top bottom pairing D man.....which I think is fairly idiotic given his attributes......recent drafts have upgraded the size factor on D in the organization---I look forward to a bigger, rangier and hopefully nastier Dman unit in the years ahead.
Nearly all of the anticipated future of the d core (S. Jones, Del Mastro, Allan, Phillips, Rinzel) is at least 6’3” and/or roughlg 200 pounds. The big exception being Korchinski.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Korchinski was listed at 6'2" when he was drafted. I imagine he'll be around 200 by the time he's a Hawk.
Korchinski and Allan are now both listed at 6-3 on Seattle's(WHL) website.

Davidson has a type, and that is big D that can skate. Would not surprise me if he had input into the Allan pick.
Another reason why I doubt that Seth Jones is going anywhere. Big, RHD that can skate and munch minutes? KD dream.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

Davidson has a type, and that is big D that can skate. Would not surprise me if he had input into the Allan pick.

I highly doubt that. Kelley drafted another defenseman that same draft (Taige Harding) who is also big (6'7). He just isn't as good of a skater. But Kelley liked Allen alot, especially because he played a defensive game.

Davidson is his own guy, his own type(s) of prospects he likes and his scouts (alot of them the same scouts, but with his direction). I doubt he has any attachment at all to any of the prospects drafted in 2021 and below.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

Another reason why I doubt that Seth Jones is going anywhere. Big, RHD that can skate and munch minutes? KD dream.
Ryan Davidson the other AGM at the time was who leaped to have big draft influence the last 2 Kelley drafts. He supposedly a model they were working off.

They finally began drafting more size then but mainly after his 1st draft and until those drafts, Bowman/Kelley rarely sought size

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Not a chance.

Stanley had his hands all over the 1st round pick. Always.

You can even see it in On The Clock episodes. They only ever discussed Stanley's favourites.

After that he'd usually leave things up to Mark Kelley, who also regularly made horrid picks.

Though sometimes Stanley would have one his guys "fall" to the 2nd round like Vlasic, and that's how you end up with mistakes like that.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Not a chance.

Stanley had his hands all over the 1st round pick. Always.

You can even see it in On The Clock episodes. They only ever discussed Stanley's favourites.

After that he'd usually leave things up to Mark Kelley, who also regularly made horrid picks.

Though sometimes Stanley would have one his guys "fall" to the 2nd round like Vlasic, and that's how you end up with mistakes like that.
I don't think Vlasic was a mistake. I think he's got just as much upside as Allan or Del Mastro.
They all top out as #4 defensive defensemen. Allan and Vlasic are better skaters than Del Mastro, but I think Del Mastro has the most offensive upside.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
I don't think Vlasic was a mistake. I think he's got just as much upside as Allan or Del Mastro.
They all top out as #4 defensive defensemen. Allan and Vlasic are better skaters than Del Mastro, but I think Del Mastro has the most offensive upside.
Del Mastro's skating could very well prevent him from becoming more than a 5-6. It could result in him not being an NHL regular.

Reactions: CapitalistInfidel

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You also think Jones is a 1D, and Mitchell isn't an NHLer

We see things very differently

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
You also think Jones is a 1D, and Mitchell isn't an NHLer

We see things very differently
I think Jones is definitely a top pairing D. He played like a #1 last year and he's playing like a #2 this year. He's inconsistent enough that whether or not he's a #1 or #2 depends a lot on his D partner and how he's playing that season. So if you want to talk about his "true talent" then yeah, he's a #2 and I won't argue there.
I am 100% convinced that Mitchell is a great AHL player but not NHL material. He's Adam Clendening part deux.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Agree, although Vlasic's skating isn't that great either.
I think Vlasic skates very well for the large human he is. He's no worse than Connor Murphy.
What concerns me about Vlasic is that he doesn't use his body well enough. Too much stick checking, not enough throwing his weight around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad