Prospect Info: Sam Rinzel D Chaska High School-Minnesota 25th overall

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Let's put it this way, I just read a crap ton about this kid and was able to draft him at #44 in my dynasty draft and I am thrilled. There were guys I would have preferred at #25 for the Hawks (Kulich, Mesar, or Trikozov) but this kid has loads of potential and could be a steal. This is exactly the type of shots the Hawks should be taking. Korchinski, while a little high, Nesar, and Rinzel could all hit with their very high ceilings and you'll be looking back with fondness on this draft. And while I haven't done a deep dive on the rest of the Hawks draft, I've heard favorable reviews from draft analysts about the Hawks later picks. Yeah, the next couple years will be brutal to watch but I think the Hawks are much more interesting today than they were last week.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Let's put it this way, I just read a crap ton about this kid and was able to draft him at #44 in my dynasty draft and I am thrilled. There were guys I would have preferred at #25 for the Hawks (Kulich, Mesar, or Trikozov) but this kid has loads of potential and could be a steal. This is exactly the type of shots the Hawks should be taking. Korchinski, while a little high, Nesar, and Rinzel could all hit with their very high ceilings and you'll be looking back with fondness on this draft. And while I haven't done a deep dive on the rest of the Hawks draft, I've heard favorable reviews from draft analysts about the Hawks later picks. Yeah, the next couple years will be brutal to watch but I think the Hawks are much more interesting today than they were last week.

And, the Hawks have 2 picks in each of the first three rounds of a very deep 2023 draft which should yield some pretty good "high upside" players. And 2 picks in each of the first two rounds in 2024. And that's before they acquire more high picks if they're able to trade Kane.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I said he has the potential to be a quicker John Carlson and that is true imo. Carlson wasn't the beast yet in his draft year though at least was playing USHL the entire season. I love the right hand shot and strength in his size he currently has. This kid is going to fill out nicely.

These types of picks could turn out to be gold like Blake Wheeler, Jake Gardiner and Chris Kreider or really bad like Patrick White and Mike Morris..high school kids are always very tricky..props if you know either of the last 2 names.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
The Hawks obviously thought Rinzel would not last to #38....

For posters to say Rinzell would dis a stupid statement...you cannot have guaranteed it.. Hawks obviously targeted him and wanted to insure they got their target.

Yes sone ranking orgs or draft gurus had him ranked in the 2ndcroubd...eg.Craig Button had hin37th...tge poster complaining above who had hom ranked 47...but the "consensus " view is usually the Bob Mckenzie rankings because it polls 10 actual scouts from 10 differentvNHL teams...Mckenzie ranked him 31st.

Thus no guarantee he lasts to #38..

Hawks identified their target and made sure they got him by moving up . .plusctgey wee goibgvto get a vet goskuexanyway (to handle the tank barrage ) so tge MRAZEK trade was i rgeccardsxeith tge Keafs anyway.. so itcalk worked outctgexwsy Hawjs wanted it.

Now you may quibble with the question of was Rinzel l So wagt otger feeatxsjatibg 6'4 Rifhtcsjotcdnan would you have taken there still left on the board ibstead?

Maybe a forward but overlaps not much if tgectarget was a great skating RD with size and so much potential..

Maybe Noah Warren ...but clearly Hawjsxakeays targeted Rinzell...

Now tgerexwas some giy on youtibe today giving his grades for round 1 picks ...He gave tge Hawks a C+on Korchinski who he had ranked 11th anyway but felt 7th was too high to take him there.. .he gave A+ on Nazar at #13 because he had him a t8th in his list and he loves all tgecthibgs Nazar brings ...but he gave Hawks a C- for Rinzel...calling him a boom bust pick because hecwas much lower on his list and must fix his defensive flaws which he identified as letting guys fly by him on the rush...now I have not seen any reports he ws that bad stopping the rush ..but if it that t cannot be improved then therre is 1 solution.. Rinzel is so good on attack with the puck that you simply move him to forward.....stopping the rush involves 2 aspects..

1.Phsysical engagement ...knock them off pucks beforectgey crossvintobtgecd-zone....perhaps because hecwas only in high school he has to add weight to his 6'4 frame to gain more confidence to throw his weight around and bounce guys off pucks.

2.Backwatds skating...If Rinzel is flawed in this aspect maybe it can be worked on and improved with skating coaches..?

So notcsurecifvhechas a stop the rush issue or not..butvifvhecdoes and if it cannot be fixed then as I said you still have a weapon with the size and speed and shot to make a top forward..

So itcrealkybis not a boy or bust situation...

If you said hecwas just athletic with soeed but had zero hockey sense ..THEN you may get a bust...but no scoutibgvreoirt has come to my attention that he has no hockey sense ...Uf tfatcwere true ;no matter how fast he sites forward on attack ,he Hawjsxwoukd be taking him mid to late rounds nitcad a first or even 2bd rounder.

Is he he a fibal ookishedvokayervin skk aspects.. no...of course not ..butnow he gets to okayca full USHK sesxon then will go the NCAA route a fewxsesxkbs. When hevis polished and ready to jump to the Blackhawks ons few years. .then hecwillbe the finished product abd hopefully that provides a very hogh ceiling type impact pksyer.

.Now in contrast to Rinzel just scratching the surface of his potential but with sone definite areasthatvneedct need improvement , you getc2 different views on SjhnexWright.

Somecsiuts felt that despite putting up 94 this season ;Wright disappointed.. especially goal scoring which was far less than expected. Andctgat he did not domininate games enough..His "off" season was excused though because he lost development time due to the OHL closing down in 2020/21 due to the Covid pandemic...

However tgatcshoukdcaffectcalk OHL first time draft eligibkes. And whike some clearly did not have performance to the level expected this season,for others it did not seem to affect their performance.

In any case the scouts excusing Wright due to Covid season canceled in draft year -1 were still excited by his ceiling goibgvforwardxandxdo still had hom goibg #1overall...butc other scouts clearly were disappointed by his(per expectation) lackluster performances this season abdxwere not surprised he fell to #4overall...

I saw 1 scout state he thought Wright may have calready and reached his ceiling abd peaked already... I think hexwas tge kobecranjer who putcWeightcakk tgexwsy down to #15.

In any case 3 teams bypassed Wright leaving him to Seattle at #4.

What does this have to do with Ribzell.?

Well clearly the Hawks think thevokayerxEibzell will be 4-5 years from now willbe far far superior to what he us now ...whereas if a draftee likecWrightvhas already peaked by his draft time,you may still get a very goid pkayer ...but what you see now is what you get

2 entirely different cases.

So rally we cannot make a proper judgement Now. Will need to wait till 3-5 years down the line..

The potential ceilingthough coukd be fabulous when it peaks.

So you cannt Yet saycwhetgervtgecHawjs get an A+or aC+ on drsftibg Rinzell ...let's see what goes.

My own voew is tgat I saw Wright and was nit impressed most games I saw him pay this season*I think I saw aboutc13 games he played and was mehborvinvhsibke in aboutc10 orc11 of these...

In contrast I seenedctovaleays conexawsy impressed by Paul Ludwinski 's performances...Maybex1 mehbirvbad hame ..butvtgecrest always hexwsx61st monevifvtge best if nktvthe nest Kingston pkayer i the game to my eyes..

My own conclusion isctgat Wright indeed seems to have peaked...Ludwinski to me has real upside and it will show as he gets a bigger role thus season.

This is why many first rounders do not becone big stars or completely bust ...because tfey have already peaked by their draft time

Other draftees taken later in round one or in later rounds keep on developing and improving performance and types become very goid NHL pros and sone even become stars by 3-5 years after they are drafted...it just took them longer to reach peak .

To sum up...Rinzel has raw potential given the skating;size Nd toolbox he has...Which isxwhyvtge Blackhawks bet he will develop into his ceiling in a few years time.
The more I read you the more I’m sure you’re either Joe Biden or some kind of infant AI practicing astroturfing

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
And, the Hawks have 2 picks in each of the first three rounds of a very deep 2023 draft which should yield some pretty good "high upside" players. And 2 picks in each of the first two rounds in 2024. And that's before they acquire more high picks if they're able to trade Kane.
Best case scenario…Hawks pick 1, 11(tb pick) 33, 43(tb pick), 65 and 66(dal pick)

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Best case scenario…Hawks pick 1, 11(tb pick) 33, 43(tb pick), 65 and 66(dal pick)

Most likely the TB pick will be in the high 20's, and the team they trade Kane to will probably be in the 20's too - but, then they have the picks to package a couple to move up higher in the 1st.

Just to have some wild speculating fun - let's say the Hawks trade Kane to NYR for their 2023 1st and Kakko. Then the Hawks win the lottery and get the 1st pick. Then NYR loses in the 1st so the pick we get from them is #18. TB loses in the ECF so the pick we get from them is #29. So going into the draft the Hawks have #1 (CHI),
#18 (NYR), #29 (TB), #33 (CHI), #61 (TB), #65 (CHI) and #66(STL).

The Hawks select Connor Bedard #1.
The Hawks trade picks #29 and #33 to move up to pick #10.
The Hawks select Leo Carlsson at #10.
The Hawks trade #18 and #65 to move up to #13.
The Hawks select Colby Barlow at #13.

So the Hawks don't have Kane, but they added Kakko and drafted 3 players from the top-15 in the 2023 draft - Bedard, Carlsson and Barlow - plus whoever they draft with the 2 remaining 3rd round selects and the rest of the draft.

And that's a good step-2 in the rebuild after the 2022 draft was step-1.

• Haha
Reactions: shotvalley

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Most likely the TB pick will be in the high 20's, and the team they trade Kane to will probably be in the 20's too - but, then they have the picks to package a couple to move up higher in the 1st.

Just to have some wild speculating fun - let's say the Hawks trade Kane to NYR for their 2023 1st and Kakko. Then the Hawks win the lottery and get the 1st pick. Then NYR loses in the 1st so the pick we get from them is #18. TB loses in the ECF so the pick we get from them is #29. So going into the draft the Hawks have #1 (CHI),
#18 (NYR), #29 (TB), #33 (CHI), #61 (TB), #65 (CHI) and #66(STL).

The Hawks select Connor Bedard #1.
The Hawks trade picks #29 and #33 to move up to pick #10.
The Hawks select Leo Carlsson at #10.
The Hawks trade #18 and #65 to move up to #13.
The Hawks select Colby Barlow at #13.

So the Hawks don't have Kane, but they added Kakko and drafted 3 players from the top-15 in the 2023 draft - Bedard, Carlsson and Barlow - plus whoever they draft with the 2 remaining 3rd round selects and the rest of the draft.

And that's a good step-2 in the rebuild after the 2022 draft was step-1.
The east is gonna be tough. Strong chance that both NYR and Tampa go out in the 1st round. Both picks could be between 17 and 24.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
The east is gonna be tough. Strong chance that both NYR and Tampa go out in the 1st round. Both picks could be between 17 and 24.
Even better.

With the experts predicting the 2023 draft so deep that the players categorized as Tier-2 that would normally last only until the teens of at best 20 will go well into the 2nd round in 2023 - that should make those proposed packaging of picks a little more realistic than in "normal" draft years.

Things may look hugely different heading into the draft next June - we are dealing with a bunch of 17/18 year olds - but in any case the Hawks should end up with at least a couple players that will be a significant add to the rebuild.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
My look at Rinzel with a lot of video. Only for McKeen's subscribers though.

I know his game about as anyone in this class and I just love this pick for you guys. He is going to take some time for sure. His game is not perfect. But finding defenders with his skill, size, mobility, and tenacity is difficult. The application of those things consistently is a work in progress. However, he just oozes potential.
That's what this pick is about. His skating and length are what makes him stick out. Filling out definitely needs to happen. Has puck skills, but remains to be seen how they translate to higher levels (as with all prospects, but even more so with this guy).

He lives in the next town over from me. His trainer(ex NHL'er) told me that he was 1st round material 3 years ago, before he became a thing. Some similarities to K'Andre Miller, another local guy.

You can be a 6'4", great skating prospect and still bust, but if you are going to take two attributes in a prospect that's pretty well what you want to start with. Oh, and he's a RHD.

Let him slow cook for 3-5 years and see what comes out.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
My issue with Rinzel is due to his lack of quality competition he has a high bust potential. He seems like a mid second round choice.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
My issue with Rinzel is due to his lack of quality competition he has a high bust potential. He seems like a mid second round choice.
The USHL isn't a bad league and after that he'll be doing at least 2 years in the NCAA with a school that's competent at developing talent.

If he busts, it won't be because of a lack of competition before hitting the NHL.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Quality of competition doesn’t get any higher at the high school level, he played in the top conference in the state and effectively country for HS. There are actually a good amount of teams with depth that he faced, the neighboring suburbs all have a strong history of developing NHLers too. The level of competition is likely much higher than you are thinking, the SW burbs tend to play .500 hockey against Shattuck’s top team if that helps add a frame of reference. Still high school, and he will face steps up, but he isn’t coming from a no name school that played casual players all year.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
There's clearly a lot of projection here....but his physical attributes at this point must have sold Davidson to take him there.....I'm so tired of the previous regime not taking a chance on a bigger prospect......I'm shoveling coal in the Davidson train!!!!!!!

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
There's clearly a lot of projection here....but his physical attributes at this point must have sold Davidson to take him there.....I'm so tired of the previous regime not taking a chance on a bigger prospect......I'm shoveling coal in the Davidson train!!!!!!!
C. Dach, Vlasic, Del Mastro, Harding, and Regula are all 6' 4" or over. And there's a few more around 6' 3" who were aquired by Bowman. To say they didn't take chances on bigger prospects is clearly incorrect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad