OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLIII: As Fun As Waterboarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
I give up. The cicadas win. I suggest we surrender to their demands on the condition that they halt their psychological warfare immediately.
A shock for sure. The noise is deafening and getting louder . My shop and barns are covered with the shells.

Reactions: Tryamw

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I haven’t seen or heard any cicadas in eastern nc yet. Maybe I’m just oblivious to what’s going on around me at all times?
nothing in Winston-Salem yet either, though I live in downtown rather than out in the burbs. But yeah still haven't seen/heard one yet this year.

Reactions: raynman

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Same - haven't encountered or heard them yet here in the mountains. Do they primarily hangout in trees and shrubs?

Yeah, their husks are all over tree trucks, leaves, sidewalks. And then live ones love flying in the face of whoever walks by them, while dying ones apparently love littering the sideways. At least that's been my experience at the Durham/Chapel Hill border.

I actually mistook their buzz for a distance police/fire siren for the first day or so. But then I realized it was too constant and widespread to be anything but these pests.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Same - haven't encountered or heard them yet here in the mountains. Do they primarily hangout in trees and shrubs?
They burrow out of the ground, molt and head into the trees to mate. It will start as a low hum and then build daily to a roar

I haven’t seen or heard any cicadas in eastern nc yet. Maybe I’m just oblivious to what’s going on around me at all times?
We lived in Greenville when I started school and I remember them. I bet you see them soon.

Reactions: Tryamw and raynman

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Obligatory pictures from my yard work this weekend…

1715107311876.jpeg

Zoom in on this one…

1715107400813.jpeg

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
nothing in Winston-Salem yet either, though I live in downtown rather than out in the burbs. But yeah still haven't seen/heard one yet this year.
Funny thing is I’m out in the woods at least once a week riding my bike. Almost ran over a snake Friday but no cicadas. Was in Clayton on the 26th at Williamson Preseve and they weren’t awake yet.

View attachment 866537

Zoom in on this one…

View attachment 866539
They’d be getting mulched by the trusty Toro Recycler

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

View attachment 866537

Zoom in on this one…

View attachment 866539
Ewww. When are they due to clear out? I haven’t seen them on any trails on the Parkway.

I am already nervousing about encountering creatures and creeps when I have to take the puppy out multiple times in the night. We have a lot of ground hogs and wild cats in my condo complex.

Reactions: hockeynjune
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad