Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Regardless of what happens next game it’s criminal that it took until game 5 for Woll to get the net. Shit is crazy.

Go leafs go!

The Hockey God's let Samsonov get lit up in the first 2 periods of Game 1 and Keefe still didn't think to use the goalie that had the better stats in both the regular season and playoffs both this year and last year until the Leafs are down 3-1. After Game 3 with Samsonov's soft goal costing them the game, he still went back to him.

That alone should cost him his job regardless of the outcome.

Reactions: Peasy

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
At this point I think the Leafs are playing with house money.

The Leafs are the road team. They finished with 7 less points than Boston. They matched up against the team they had the worst regular season record against and they lost Nylander for 3 games and Matthews for (likely) 3 games. The Core 4 have played a total of 40 minutes in the lineup together this series and the series is still going 7.

If you told me before the series the Leafs would lose Nylander for 3 games, Matthews for 2-3 1/3rd games and the core 4 would play a total of 40 minutes together against the Bruins - I wouldn't have predicted 7.

Boston should have won the Atlantic but I believe they tanked for this matchup because they outscored the Leafs like 4:1 in the regular season and swept the regular season series. Now the Leafs, with all their injuries, are still going 7. All the pressure is on Boston right now.

For Toronto, changes are going to be made regardless. I can't imagine Keefe keeps his job unless the Leafs go to at least the conference finals and without Matthews that's going to be a tall task. Changes will happen this offseason.

Win or lose, I'm shocked this Leafs team, without Matthews and Nylander for half the series each took Boston to 7. Boston was the team that was leading the Atlantic nearly all season until the last game of the regular season. The Leafs aren't the one blowing it to a team with 7 less points than them - they're not expected to win, nor were they the favourites and the Leafs at least can use the injury excuse. Boston choking back to back to a depleted Leafs team would cause much more chaos.

Exactly. They should definitely run it back next season.

Sincerely, the entire Eastern Conference

Reactions: Summer Rose

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Exactly. They should definitely run it back next season

Only half of the Eastern Conference makes the playoffs. Of that, only 4 make it to the second round. 4 teams will be glad if they ran it back (and lost). 8 teams want the Leafs to blow it up so they got a shot at the playoffs.

I think next year is a lost year for the Leafs anyway. Tavares is going to be on the last year of an 11M contract and I don't expect him to improve. Next summer though the Leafs will have the cap space to significantly change the team - especially if they move on from both Marner and re-sign Tavares for cheap and move on.

They should try a different coach though. Keefe is one of the longest tenured coaches, which is shocking, as he has had basically no playoff success.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
Only half of the Eastern Conference makes the playoffs. Of that, only 4 make it to the second round. 4 teams will be glad if they ran it back (and lost). 8teams want the Leafs to blow it up so they got a shot at the playoffs.

Agreed. Definitely run it back.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Agreed. Definitely run it back.

They don't have a choice. They just got to get through Tavares' last year and then make the team when they actually can change things. Next year is a transition year with Tavares and Marner on the last year of their contracts - both will full NMC's. Tavares will be making less the following season, so that's a big chance to change the team. Marner is probably expendable also depending on what's available.

They need to try a different coach though. Edmonton is on their 3rd coach since Keefe was hired!

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I mean, I did have chicken for dinner last night. It was slow-cooked shredded chicken with a homemade Carolina/Chinese fusion style barbecue sauce. Would that cause me to hallucinate a Leafs playoff win?
Hmmm... maybe not. But I'll probably end up dreaming about your dinner.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
At this point I think the Leafs are playing with house money.

The Leafs are the road team. They finished with 7 less points than Boston. They matched up against the team they had the worst regular season record against and they lost Nylander for 3 games and Matthews for (likely) 3 games. The Core 4 have played a total of 40 minutes in the lineup together this series and the series is still going 7.

If you told me before the series the Leafs would lose Nylander for 3 games, Matthews for 2-3 1/3rd games and the core 4 would play a total of 40 minutes together against the Bruins - I wouldn't have predicted 7.

Boston should have won the Atlantic but I believe they tanked for this matchup because they outscored the Leafs like 4:1 in the regular season and swept the regular season series. Now the Leafs, with all their injuries, are still going 7. All the pressure is on Boston right now.

For Toronto, changes are going to be made regardless. I can't imagine Keefe keeps his job unless the Leafs go to at least the conference finals and without Matthews that's going to be a tall task. Changes will happen this offseason.

Win or lose, I'm shocked this Leafs team, without Matthews and Nylander for half the series each took Boston to 7. Boston was the team that was leading the Atlantic nearly all season until the last game of the regular season. The Leafs aren't the one blowing it to a team with 7 less points than them - they're not expected to win, nor were they the favourites and the Leafs at least can use the injury excuse. Boston choking back to back to a depleted Leafs team would cause much more chaos.

Sir, this is an Arby"s.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
They don't have a choice. They just got to get through Tavares' last year and then make the team when they actually can change things. Next year is a transition year with Tavares and Marner on the last year of their contracts - both will full NMC's.

They need to try a different coach though. Edmonton is on their 3rd coach since Keefe was hired!
Give us Berube. Enough of this soft ass Keefe shit.

It's honestly embarrassing how Keefe has somehow stuck around. Out coached every playoff series, never had any answers to anything. He really should be thanking his buddy dubas for the millions.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Give us Berube. Enough of this soft ass Keefe shit.

It's honestly embarrassing how Keefe has somehow stuck around. Out coached every playoff series, never had any answers to anything. He really should be thanking his buddy dubas for the millions.

It's crazy.

Longest tenured coaches in the NHL:

Cooper
Sullivan
Bednar
Brind'Amour
Keefe

One is not like the others. At least show us how these players can play under a different system. The Leafs hired a first time NHL coach right as their core hit their primes. Keefe was never a part of any NHL organization as an assistant or anything before getting an NHL head coaching job.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Toronto should trade Matthews. The return would be insane and the team just seems to play better without him, especially in the playoffs. Relying on one guy to do all the scoring doesn't work in the post season and everyone just stands around and expects Matthews to win them the games and he can't... it really would be the best for the franchise to get more balanced that way. Matthews would easily fetch a legitimate #1 + prospects + some scoring depth to the line up.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Nylander is actually a great player, someone that a franchise can build around as the top player. But he's being held back by Matthews and Marner, who are bums that are way too soft for playoff hockey.

If I'm Toronto I'm walking away from those two losers and building around Nylander. Might actually be able to do some damage then.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Whoever wins Game 7, it will be a Heartbreaker.....

Toronto losing another Game 7 and 1st Round out, or Boston blowing another 3-1 lead two years in a row and 1st Round out.....

Must-Watch on Saturday! :D
Bruins will be squeezing their sticks.............The choke, looks real eh.
Not a fan or either team, but boy do both have a ton of pressure on them.......

Whoever wins Game 7, it will be a Heartbreaker.....

Toronto losing another Game 7 and 1st Round out, or Boston blowing another 3-1 lead two years in a row and 1st Round out.....

Must-Watch on Saturday! :D
Bruins will be squeezing their sticks.............The choke, looks real eh.
Not a fan or either team, but boy do both have a ton of pressure on them.......

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Toronto should trade Matthews. The return would be insane and the team just seems to play better without him, especially in the playoffs. Relying on one guy to do all the scoring doesn't work in the post season and everyone just stands around and expects Matthews to win them the games and he can't... it really would be the best for the franchise to get more balanced that way. Matthews would easily fetch a legitimate #1 + prospects + some scoring depth to the line up.

Nope. And this type of post was sadly predictable.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

Why would they trade Matthews right before they get 11M in cap space from Tavares?

They can add depth with the 11M coming off the cap next offseason.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
At 13.25M the next few years, not sure many teams want that.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad