Utah team name polling opens, list of potential names revealed

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
More importantly, what’s the color scheme?
On his most recent 32T interview, Smith stated that while he was not interested in forcing his NBA and NHL teams to share the exact colors (he cited Pittsburgh pro team colors as the type of situation he’s not interested in replicating) but he did state it was important that the brands shared some elements. He said that he envisioned both would have Jazz purple. And he said beyond that he was thinking of mountains with fresh ice and blue skies.

This all leads me to believe he wants the NHL team to be at least reminiscent of these popular throwback uniforms:

IMG_0636.jpeg

Because he’s contracted with Doubleday & Cartwright, you can expect that the brand will be extremely minimalistic and modern.

Examples of their pro sports team brands:

IMG_0731.png

IMG_0730.png

IMG_0727.png

IMG_0729.png

IMG_0728.png

Reactions: BB79 and SirJW

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
On his most recent 32T interview, Smith stated that while he was not interested in forcing his NBA and NHL teams to share the exact colors (he cited Pittsburgh pro team colors as the type of situation he’s not interested in replicating) but he did state it was important that the brands shared some elements. He said that he envisioned both would have Jazz purple. And he said beyond that he was thinking of mountains with fresh ice and blue skies.

This all leads me to believe he wants the NHL team to be at least reminiscent of these popular throwback uniforms:

View attachment 872525

Because he’s contracted with Doubleday & Cartwright, you can expect that the brand will be extremely minimalistic and modern.

Examples of their pro sports team brands:

View attachment 872527

View attachment 872528

View attachment 872529

View attachment 872531

View attachment 872532
The Jazz color sceme
Would work but I’d make the blue the main color and purple as a 3rd or accent color.

rt

May 13, 2004
The Jazz color sceme
Would work but I’d make the blue the main color and purple as a 3rd or accent color.
They may go with dark grey or black or dark blue as the primary and then use both the bright purple and bright blue from the jazz as accents.

Especially if they end up being “The Utah Outlaws”. I don’t think being 85% bright purple and bright blue really matches.

I asked AI to make some stuff and it went a little crazy as usual. But my thoughts on what a simple “Outlaws” concept could look like with some of these colors discussed. And without featuring guns and or criminals as the main logo.

IMG_1039.png

IMG_1038.png

IMG_1040.png

IMG_0722.jpeg

IMG_0714.jpeg

IMG_1041.png

rt

May 13, 2004
This one isn’t too bad for AI! Nice work.
With D&C you can bet it’ll be something really understated. Like an O for Outlaws but with barbed wire. Or bull horns making a U for Utah but no actual bull. Or maybe just a spur or something extremely minimalist like that.
Still think if they are gonna tie in to the Jazz they should lean more into the sunset palette, especially for a name like Outlaws, personally, but sounds like the cooler purple/blue palette is more likely…

jazz.jpg
Yeah, it think they’re gonna do more cooler colors.
IMG_0753.jpeg
IMG_0762.jpeg

IMG_0753.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0749.jpeg
    IMG_0749.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
With D&C you can bet it’ll be something really understated. Like an O for Outlaws but with barbed wire. Or bull horns making a U for Utah but no actual bull. Or maybe just a spur or something extremely minimalist like that.

View attachment 872593View attachment 872588

View attachment 872592
These colors if done clean and classic looking would make an unreal hockey sweater and uniform.

Ironically, if you flip the jazz logo with the basketball, it can look like a hockey stick and then make the basketball a puck

Reactions: SirJW

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SadisonSquareGarden

View attachment 872593
View attachment 872592
Semi off topic, is that an official Jazz logo? If so, I never realized the top of the basketball had a subtle outcropping of mountain peaks.

Purple would be an interesting addition to the new Utah team’s color palette. The LA Kings would no longer have a monopoly on purple.

Edit: Unless folks consider the original 90s Mighty Ducks “eggplant” as purple.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Semi off topic, is that an official Jazz logo? If so, I never realized the top of the basketball had a subtle outcropping of mountain peaks.

Purple would be an interesting addition to the new Utah team’s color palette. The LA Kings would no longer have a monopoly on purple.
No NHL team has a purple primary either.

Prince is gone, but are there any street gangs with a purple set?

rt

May 13, 2004

Not a real bass logo.

The kings haven’t had purple in their primaries for thirteen years.

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SadisonSquareGarden
No NHL team has a purple primary either.

Prince is gone, but are there any street gangs with a purple set?
Yup. The last time the Kings used purple as their main color was on these alternate sets, and that was at the very start of the Reebok era jerseys.

Utah HC’s use of purple to match the Jazz could be interesting.

Attachments

• 677BD1F8-E50A-44EE-8842-03E9FA3F0D46.jpeg
    677BD1F8-E50A-44EE-8842-03E9FA3F0D46.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 7752D056-137C-4C7E-A758-1EB012EF0ED0.jpeg
    7752D056-137C-4C7E-A758-1EB012EF0ED0.jpeg
    360.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Love
Reactions: Puckrobber

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010

Eggplant = purple. And the Ducks will 100% return to those jerseys in the next 2-5 years, it's really obvious, unless their ownership is totally ignorant, so purple will be thriving as a main colour for NHL jerseys very soon...

Unless the Ducks go this route:

TKoLMc0.png

Of course, the Kings should definitely do this:

ttGa8rZ.png

And if I had it my way, the Jets would be purple also, for more variety:

WaweHYP.png

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SadisonSquareGarden
Eggplant = purple. And the Ducks will 100% return to those jerseys in the next 2-5 years, it's really obvious, unless their ownership is totally ignorant, so purple will be thriving as a main colour for NHL jerseys very soon...
Would be great to return to that brand since I’m not a huge fan of the Duckfoot era. I still haven’t gotten used to the orange and copper. But, I’m not sure what the legalities are of the original Mighty Ducks logo/colors and what the current ownership has rights to use. Is that still Disney’s intellectual property or was that also part of the sale?

Purples and teals just invoke such a 1990s mystique to me. Other than the Sharks and Mighty Ducks, the Charlotte Hornets were also users of these colors.
86050FDC-7F3D-4D73-B787-A7B808B5DC49.jpeg

In a strange bit or irony, had the Quebec Nordiques stayed and not moved to Colorado, reports were they were gearing up for a rebrand of their sets using shades of blues and teals (and primary blue that looked purple-ish in some lighting) for their new identity. To me, kind of similar to the Jazz colors below:
F882162A-96F7-4198-B8D4-DEA8B0F3A000.jpeg
CC5F7151-1BD3-4DE2-BECA-82BA0E67203A.jpeg
7DA23900-4E94-4989-9F11-0279F3F79855.jpeg

Reactions: SirJW

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Would be great to return to that brand since I’m not a huge fan of the Duckfoot era. I still haven’t gotten used to the orange and copper. But, I’m not sure what the legalities are of the original Mighty Ducks logo/colors and what the current ownership has rights to use. Is that still Disney’s intellectual property or was that also part of the sale?

Purples and teals just invoke such a 1990s mystique to me. Other than the Sharks and Mighty Ducks, the Charlotte Hornets were also users of these colors.
View attachment 872961

In a strange bit or irony, had the Quebec Nordiques stayed and not moved to Colorado, reports were they were gearing up for a rebrand of their sets using shades of blues and teals (and primary blue that looked purple-ish in some lighting) for their new identity. To me, kind of similar to the Jazz colors below:
View attachment 872963View attachment 872964View attachment 872965
That’s exactly why teal and purple need to never come back. The most 90s thing imagiable.

And there more teams that switched to them (or debuted in those colors) like the Diamondbacks and Raptors. I know there are others I’m forgetting.

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SadisonSquareGarden
Poster posted a link earlieri think Yeti are leading w Outlaws pulling up 2nd
I know it’s different strokes for different folks, but 🤷🏻‍♂️. Sounds like XFL expansion team names rather than an NHL organization. May as well add Utah Turbos or Utah Lazers.

Though, I shouldn’t talk. I root for a team that makes little sense either. Only Rangers I see in Manhattan are park rangers.

Reactions: Malaka

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I know it’s different strokes for different folks, but 🤷🏻‍♂️. Sounds like XFL expansion team names rather than an NHL organization. May as well add Utah Turbos or Utah Lazers.

Though, I shouldn’t talk. I root for a team that makes little sense either. Only Rangers I see in Manhattan are park rangers.
These hipster PR firms that all these new orgs hire are trash. I still hate the people that named my team the Wild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad