Dreger: Buchnevich is likely to be traded

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Honestly I could see it, not that trade specifically but would it surprise me if a trade between the Leafs andBlues happen that saw Buch, Parayko and Marner involved?

No I think Toronto is going to make some BIG changes and there were rumours of Parayko, and Buch being moved at the deadline, and one of the teams mentioned, at least for Parayko was Toronto.

A Leafs/Blues blockbuster wouldn't be totally surprising
Marner to the Blues makes no sense. Blues are not in a position to trade for and extend him at the asking price he will demand and is nowhere near a type of deal and contract the Blues go for. And if the Blues could find some common ground between them and Marner they would not be trading Parayko.

Would you do Marner for Parayko straight up?
No. Not at all.

Reactions: Memento

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Resorting to childish insults.... Not surprising for someone like yourself who can't seem to see the negatives for what they are.... They are facts. You want Marner out for the same reason GMs will be apprehensive about him. IN the 8 years he's been a Leaf, he hasn't changed one bit.

Sorry your team lost dude. Marner was a huge reason why. The game is being replayed on NHL network if you want a closer look to see why he is the reason the Leafs are losers. Watch and learn.
You cry at perceived insults but don't recognize you're own attemps at insults to illicit and emotional response from me lol. The Leafs may be my team but they are so far down on my list of priorities in my life that another first round exit is basically par for the course, I accept it and move on with my day. This is why you come off as a teenager in you're responses by the way. You're so invested in a team that isn't yours within the context of this just being sports for entertainment, that's a severe lack of emotionally control and stability which is common with hormonal teenagers.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Come on now...
He actually thinks Marner is a playoff performer. ;)

You cry at perceived insults but don't recognize you're own attemps at insults to illicit and emotional response from me lol. The Leafs may be my team but they are so far down on my list of priorities in my life that another first round exit is basically par for the course, I accept it and move on with my day. This is why you come off as a teenager in you're responses by the way. You're so invested in a team that isn't yours within the context of this just being sports for entertainment, that's a severe lack of emotionally control and stability which is common with hormonal teenagers.
Sorry your team lost dude. Better luck next year. Tomorrow will be a better day! ;)

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Please read everything I wrote if you are actually interested in having a dialog regarding this topic. Context is important.

Again a child's response, intellectually dishonest was complimentary it seems.
Fact of the matter is, you're not winning with Marner as one of your top 2-3 paid players..

I think most reasonable Leafs would admit that. His next contract is going to be 12+ mil per, which is gross.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Just say you can't refute me and move on, you've been cooked intellectually. I don't enjoy punching down though so I'll leave you be.
I can't refute your craziness. Until you are less unhinged, we could probably enjoy a spirited debate. But until then, lets agree to disagree. Let's wait and see who is right. And when i am right, i will accept your apologies! :)

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Fact of the matter is, you're not winning with Marner as one of your top 2-3 paid players..

I think most reasonable Leafs would admit that. His next contract is going to be 12+ mil per, which is gross.
You may be right, but that's not what I was debating with Juno, you're strawmaning my argument because you didn't want to take the time to read what I've wrote. Hence why I emphasized the need for context.

I can't refute your craziness. Until you are less unhinged, we could probably enjoy a spirited debate. But until then, lets agree to disagree. Let's wait and see who is right. And when i am right, i will accept your apologies! :)
You've all but confirmed you're a young person with the unhinged remark. It's common for younger people to throw out tropes against anyone they can't disprove by calling into question their mental state. If you've paid for an education I'd ask for a refund.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You've all but confirmed you're a young person with the unhinged remark. It's common for younger people to throw out tropes against anyone they can't disprove by calling into question their mental state. If you've paid for an education I'd ask for a refund.
And the craziness continues... lol

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oilers would still want Buchnevich in the offseason if the cap can be worked out

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Honestly I could see it, not that trade specifically but would it surprise me if a trade between the Leafs andBlues happen that saw Buch, Parayko and Marner involved?

No I think Toronto is going to make some BIG changes and there were rumours of Parayko, and Buch being moved at the deadline, and one of the teams mentioned, at least for Parayko was Toronto.

A Leafs/Blues blockbuster wouldn't be totally surprising
This is the issue. Toronto is not even 24 hours out of the playoffs and the board is inundated with one-sided deals to solve Toronto's issue and no one else's.

Why would the Blues blow up their cap and their defense for a winger who is due to make another big deal while being the first choice to jettison by all of Leaf land? Which is not to say that Marner's past playoff performance dictates his future playoff performance. We did the same thing with Oshie. He was a franchise guy, was terrible in the playoffs, got a change of scenery, and was a beast in the playoffs for Washington and got a Cup. He went from 9 points, -12 in 30 playoff games in his Blues run to 43 points, +9 in 49 games his first 3 playoffs with the Caps. But we also traded him low and his return wasn't great.

The Blues are in a spot where:

1. The front office doesn't want a complete tear-down (which some of us do want, but are realistic about the chances.)

2. Our cap is in a good spot. Scandella is out. After this coming season Krug, Faulk, and Saad are down to modified NTCs and become easier to move. Adding the type of money that Marner is going to be looking for kind of throws a wrench in that.

3. The deepest position on our pro roster and prospect pool is winger. A lot of our fans want Kyrou gone, who plays a similar game as Marner. But I think he'll be here a lot longer than people expect. DA committed to him, and he rarely changes his mind so fast. Neighbours had a very good year. Bolduc seems ready. Buchnevic is still on the table. A lot of us want to move him because he didn't cost anything to acquire and could get us some premium assets closer to our window, but he fits the team so if the market doesn't want to pay up (like last deadline) his most value to us may end up bejng staying put. Snuggerud is maybe only a season away from being ready. Stenberg is maybe only a season away from being ready. Schenn is likely to end up on winger in the longer-term. Everyone is ecstatic with Pecarcik.

4. RD is bone dry in the prospect pool. The only reason we have any depth at the pro level at RD is because of Parayko, and he's the only top pairing quality defenseman we have. Faulk trying to carry a partner would be a lot like the situation you're dealing with now in Reilly.

Doesn't make any sense for us, and only opens up more problems.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Why do fans of teams with highly paid wingers think the rest of us want to watch our cap get destroyed by acquiring said winger? Especially Doug Armstrong who's just about the last GM in the league to pay top dollar for anyone let alone a winger.

The answer isn't to call the Blues up just so we're clear. This isn't the trade you're looking for......move along.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Would you do Marner for Parayko straight up?

Blues say hell no. We are trying to add to Parayko and improve the D. The Blues are a 2C and 1LD away from being really good and have lots of really good prospects on the horizon. They need to stay the course.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Why do fans of teams with highly paid wingers think the rest of us want to watch our cap get destroyed by acquiring said winger? Especially Doug Armstrong who's just about the last GM in the league to pay top dollar for anyone let alone a winger.

The answer isn't to call the Blues up just so we're clear. This isn't the trade you're looking for......move along.

Exactly. We want futures for Buchnevich. A first round pick (preferably a 2024) and a decent prospect. That’s it. Not Marner, not whom-f***ing-ever: futures that all of us have very clearly stated. I don’t understand why people want to dump contracts on us, take our only good players at positions of need (I.e., Parayko, Thomas, Dvorsky, et.al, just from what I’ve seen), and give us their worthless shit in return like we’re their cap dump farm team.

Honestly? f*** that. I’m beyond annoyed at it. Thank you, fellow Blues fans for saying it politely, but I’m figuring blunt and brutal honesty is my way of saying, do your f***ing research before you have us trade our star players and good prospects for your crap.

Edit: Forgot Bolduc. Yeah, have us trade our only scoring young left winger on the team aside from Neighbours (assuming Buchnevich is dealt).

Last edited:
Reactions: blueswede22

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Blues say hell no. We are trying to add to Parayko and improve the D. The Blues are a 2C and 1LD away from being really good and have lots of really good prospects on the horizon. They need to stay the course.
Yep, i 100% agree. Just making sure my understanding is aligned with the general concensus. Marner as a rental is not anywhere close to Parayko. Extending Marner for 12M is not very enticing either.

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
Exactly. We want futures for Buchnevich. A first round pick (preferably a 2024) and a decent prospect. That’s it. Not Marner, not whom-f***ing-ever: futures that all of us have very clearly stated. I don’t understand why people want to dump contracts on us, take our only good players at positions of need (I.e., Parayko, Thomas, Dvorsky, et.al, just from what I’ve seen), and give us their worthless shit in return like we’re their cap dump farm team.

Honestly? f*** that. I’m beyond annoyed at it. Thank you, fellow Blues fans for saying it politely, but I’m figuring blunt and brutal honesty is my way of saying, do your f***ing research before you have us trade our star players and good prospects for your crap.
holy overreaction. its a message board. you aren't Doug Armstrong, chill.

• Haha
Reactions: Reality Czech

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad