Player Discussion Auston Matthews Discussion

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
yea, the whole "ongoing illness" talk seems inconsistent with having him play down the stretch and the for the first couple of games.

He was as good as he ever is in Game 2 and needs to be pulled after 2 periods in Game 4, the illness just doesn't add up

It's a good lesson why folks shouldn't jump on players back for potentially missing a playoff game.

Nobody on these forums has access to what's really going on

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I’m gonna pray he’s healthy enough to play. But we should play him on the 3rd line with Holmberg & Robbie. Limit his mins but play him on the PP. We don’t ruin any other line that is strong these last 2 games but we have the best goal scorer in the world on the 3rd line :)

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I’m gonna pray he’s healthy enough to play. But we should play him on the 3rd line with Holmberg & Robbie. Limit his mins but play him on the PP. We don’t ruin any other line that is strong these last 2 games but we have the best goal scorer in the world on the 3rd line :)
Yup. I’d play him as a winger if hes able, see how it changes line matching and have a plan to ramp mins depending on the game.

Reactions: glue

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
If he's seriously injured keeping it a secret until the last second is so stupid. All you're doing is giving your opponent a moral boost when they hear the other team's best player won't be in the lineup right before the game starts.

Keefe's 200 IQ must be telling him that the Bruins will plan to face Matthews and won't know what to do if he's not in the lineup.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If he’s healthy enough you play him but Keefe has to realize his he has a good thing going with his lines now .. so if Matthews’ is only 80%, perhaps don’t f*** with the chemistry and play Matthews’ lesser minutes 5 on 5, and on the PP.

If they’re down in the third, start ramping things up.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Disagree, if he can play at all you have to dress him.
Agreed. Mathews at 50 percent is better than most players in the league at scoring. We need goals, if he can provide that it’s a positive, especially the way the team is playing defensively. Also helps the PP.

Reactions: ACC1224

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Tiger balm son. That stuff fixed everything in my house hold
1714830736735.png

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
just like when Tavares went down… I felt we needed to beat Montreal to give JT a chance to come back in round 2.

I feel the same, win tonight for a chance of Auston coming back 100% against Florida.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I would not play Auston unless he’s 100% tonight… it’s not worth it.
I would play him or at least dress him
It will give the Leafs massive moral boost and something for boston to be concerned with

We don't have to play him 20 mins. If it doesn't goes well he has the entire summer to recover

Reactions: Kurtz and larueskee

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
remember stamkos came back for 1 game. Scored a goal. Was a huge morale boost for the team. But then was glued to the bench after the 1st period from what i remember

Reactions: Kurtz

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
Haven’t seen this posted anywhere but they are saying Auston is in tonight. Starts at 0:42

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Despite what the Matthews apologists scream, I knew MacKinnon was >>>>> Matthews when MacKinnon was nuked in the playoffs and held a post game press conference and said, "I haven't won sh*t!!" then challenged his teammates to take their diets seriously in the offseason. Meanwhile, Matthews was following Biebs around like it was party time. The following season... MacKinnon (in spite of being the brunt of all social media jokes about him being a stick in the mud) wins a Stanley Cup... and Matthews and company complain about the dress code then once again disappoint in the playoffs and go home early.

This is what I mean between the playoffs separating the men from the boys. Matthews shadows Bieber and whines about the dress code and MacKinnon challenged his troops to stop eating excess sugar and train harder in the offseason.

Some people still don't get it because there's no swanky analytics that place heart, dedication, and a hunger to win on a spreadsheet. Instead, we'll sit here and rave about Matthews "hits" stats even though nobody on earth can ever remember him throwing a hit that mattered.
This unfortunately is almost completely true about our superest of superstars.

You've got a guy in your dressing room who demands the most money and whom previous management treated like Lord Fauntelroy and that same guy sags into non-compete mode in the playoffs.

It's a real question; do any of you guys really wonder why the team doesn't win, why they don't want to put up with the bruises and pain when Auston won't?

I saw a little more compete in him this year, a little more determination to get it done if only in the end to add to his own edification, I was hoping it was going to translate into the post season, but we may never know. Another question and obviously we don't know what is going on with him, but would say MacKinnon be playing with whatever is bothering Auston?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad