Proposal: Top 4 defenceman to Utah

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The person I responded to proposed Skjei-Pesce, not Lindholm.

And I don't think you'd have to trade for their rights...I'd just give them each a solid 7-year offer. I can totally see that happening, and totally see it working well.
Armstrong said just this week in no uncertain terms that it would be foolish to sign 29 year old players to 7 year deals.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Armstrong said just this week in no uncertain terms that it would be foolish to sign 29 year old players to 7 year deals.
For one, I don't think they'll do that for both -- I just think personally it would be good for them and work out well.

But Every GM says that same thing but if they last more than a few years they all end up signing at least one 29 or 30-yr old UFA to 7-year deals since defensemen are so hard to come by. A lot of the time it works out too.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
For one, I don't think they'll do that for both -- I just think personally it would be good for them and work out well.

But Every GM says that same thing but if they last more than a few years they all end up signing at least one 29 or 30-yr old UFA to 7-year deals since defensemen are so hard to come by. A lot of the time it works out too.
I recommend listening to the interview. Bill Armstrong was hired because of the plan he brought with him and his commitment not to waiver from that plan. Thus far, he’s remained committed.

I believe we should expect him to trade a couple of 2nd round picks in Durzi/McBain style moves and to sign a couple of shorter term UFA deals a la Kerfoot/Bjugstad/Zucker/Dumba etc.

I think he’s going to add one defensemen like Ferraro, Whitecloud or Lindgren via trade. And then also sign one UFA that’s a little older and a little less in demand who needs less term. A guy like Gostisbehere as an example.

Just my opinion based on following Armstrong closely. I could be wrong. I often am. And he’s been know to use the media as a smoke screen. He very nearly came right out and said he was targeting Leonard and Dvorsky last summer ahead of the draft. Meanwhile the behind the scenes video series the team produced and released clearly shows they were planning to pick the pair of Lokomotiv players all along.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Ristolainen with 50% retention for a 7th. His heavy game and big hits will thrill the Salt Lake City fans.

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
What would it take to get K'Andre Miller. NYR are tight on cap space and he should get a raise next year. They are also without picks in the 2nd and 3rd for the next few years. I think BA would like a young kid with some size. What would Utah need to package for him? Sign Pesce and trade for Miller and that would improve the teams D alot.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Cody Ceci might be available for picks. Affordable, has been a pretty reliable 2nd pair RD. He looked very good against LA. I'm not sure if Edmonton makes him available or not, but I do suspect they will be looking for some cap space this summer, so it would make sense.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Just as recently as this week Bill Armstrong was on a Salt Lake radio show and talked about how in free agency it's a bad idea to give 7-year deals to 29-year-old players. He hinted at those types of contracts getting in the way when you're trying to re-sign the young stars of today.

Very much agree with you that Skjei and Pesce would both be great additions, but if they want major term it won't be happening in Utah.

Right now Utah is very fortunate in that they are one of few teams without any dumb contracts. Hopefully they keep it that way.

This and Ferarro in SJ are my two favourite suggestions so far. Potentially one of the Vegas D too.
Lindgren’s next contract is probably right around 5 years at 5-5.5 per year. It makes sense for the Rangers to move on considering the amount they have committed to Fox and Trouba, as well as both Miller and Schneider getting extensions in the near future.

I imagine the Rangers would ask for a 1st of some kind, but wouldn’t be surprised if the dust settled on something like 2 2nds.

Reactions: Mosby

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Lindgren’s next contract is probably right around 5 years at 5-5.5 per year. It makes sense for the Rangers to move on considering the amount they have committed to Fox and Trouba, as well as both Miller and Schneider getting extensions in the near future.

I imagine the Rangers would ask for a 1st of some kind, but wouldn’t be surprised if the dust settled on something like 2 2nds.

The Coyotes got two 2nd rounders from NYR for taking on Patrick Nemeth. It will be kind of funny to flip those same two picks back to NYR in exchange for Lindgren.

Reactions: bernmeister

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
The Coyotes got two 2nd rounders from NYR for taking on Patrick Nemeth. It will be kind of funny to flip those same two picks back to NYR in exchange for Lindgren.
It would be even funnier if NYR then used the reacquired pick to offer sheet someone from Utah

• Haha
Reactions: Mosby

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What's Ryan Lindgren's next contract look like (RFA)? if its under $5M for 4-5 years, NYR probably keeps him. If its over $5M for any length I'd deal him for 2 2nds.
Lindy wants deserves more than the 3 per sweetheart deal he already gave us.
We all see what he is.
Only negative is how much wear and tear he has taken.
The only negative.

imo he is reliable 2-ish yrs, after that, bucking the odds on wear and tear
I say 4 yrs 4.5

Ristolainen with 50% retention for a 7th. His heavy game and big hits will thrill the Salt Lake City fans.
Risto still brings the heft, but he was never a good power skater for at least decent speed and if he isn't a python by now, color me shocked!

What would it take to get K'Andre Miller. NYR are tight on cap space and he should get a raise next year. They are also without picks in the 2nd and 3rd for the next few years. I think BA would like a young kid with some size. What would Utah need to package for him? Sign Pesce and trade for Miller and that would improve the teams D alot.
KAM is not available at almost any price.
Appreciate yr interest and w/yr overture, being polite + friendly pls consider my reply warmly offered.

KAM is a foundation piece.
Rs should have listened to me and offered him 50-ish mil for 8 yrs instead of a small bridge and adding drek like Bonino. It will cost them more to extend long term now.

We do have tight cap issues, but we are resolving them, imo, by
- first unloading Trouba and recovering most of his 8m
- then no later than end of next season, bread will not sniff 11.6+ and as good as he's been, we need to pump back into youth/depth.

We are hoping Scanlin will compete for a spot at 3LD, learn the ropes, and best case scenairo, that is yr replacement to pair w/Fox. We have Fortescue [sp?] knocking the door the following season. Gust. can help hold the fort 1 yr if nec
Harpur has size, and if he skates ok, he's fine

Robertson should be a KAM mold style guy that for us, but mgmt never gave him a chance.
Go figure.
So we need to go younger and cheaper,
make a decent offer for a package and we can do both Lindgren + Robertson

Jonas Siegenthaler can be yours today!
Siggy is not a bad idea at the right #

Not that long ago, he commanded a late 1st
now it is a 2nd +.

can we all live w/Lindgren + Robertson + nyr 4th for two 2nds + a 3rd?

I believe in God, and that He has a sense of humor.
I think He allows karma to have it as well

Reactions: Prestigeworldwide

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Jokiharju is your guy here. A 2nd + 3rd or something around Kerfoot.
Not sure if Utah would pay that price but this is the exact type of player they should target. Bet he'd thrive with 5 more minutes a game.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
He wouldn't be available.

It would also take a metric ton if the world turned upside down and he demanded a trade out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad