Other Sports: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers 23-24 Season Thread: Punt, Pass, Or Kick? Post Trade Deadline

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Embiid put up 40 with one leg and half a face. Not sure how you can blame him when Tobias is RIGHT there
who is where?

giphy.gif

Reactions: Sombastate

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I'm running it back one more year with Embiid & Maxey now that they can use Tobias' money on a (hopefully) valuable contributor.

0 in his final game is honestly histerical
They have a lot more than just Tobias money to use. That was always Morey’s plan.

Reactions: Rebels57

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Embiid was a minus because he was exploited on the defensive end. He can't move very well. If it was January 2nd, 2024 Embiid would have been a much different game.

But it is, what it was and what it usually is with Embiid. His body and injury history is the known 'unknown factor'.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The discourse on Embiid is still valid. He did give it all he had, but we’ve seen enough times that he peters out in the 4th quarter. It’s terribly difficult to build a contending team around someone who can’t play 40-44 minutes when he has to.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Hopefully that is the last time I ever see Tobias Harris in a Sixers uniform.

Embiid, Maxey and Batum are the only players who played with any confidence at all.

The referees maintained the NBA’s “stellar” reputation for officiating in this series.

Frustrating season.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The discourse on Embiid is still valid. He did give it all he had, but we’ve seen enough times that he peters out in the 4th quarter. It’s terribly difficult to build a contending team around someone who can’t play 40-44 minutes when he has to.

They couldnt give him the rest he needed because they were buried with him on the bench all series.

They need an elite backup C next season. Even if they are just elite defensively.

As for Tobias..

IMG_20240503_000346.jpg

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Also shouldn’t have traded PatBev. Get him back this summer.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Nurse is assuredly a good coach, but he left meat on the bone. Buddy looked like diarrhea in his other games, but he also had a ridiculously short leash. It's clear he had the ability to contribute once he stopped the nervy shit. Was yanking him early in the series the best long-term play? Didn't love him not returning to the court until the 4th tonight either.

Lowry had his hustle moments and one big game, but when Payne is outplaying you and the Knicks throw athletes aplenty, I have questions with him getting 30-35 minutes a night. It's a tough matchup for 2 small guard lineups. Tobias sucked all the ass, and there's no right answer because the Sixers needed any player with the balls to score, warts and all. I do think KJ or RCIV had a chance to impact this series.

Also shouldn’t have traded PatBev. Get him back this summer.

Ew. He was a few months of fun, but he'd be a non-entity in this series. Goodbye spacing. Give me difference makers, not 36 year old Pat Bev.

Reactions: Striiker

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They couldnt give him the rest he needed because they were buried with him on the bench all series.

They need an elite backup C next season. Even if they are just elite defensively.

As for Tobias..

View attachment 863951
They’ve had that problem forever, and absolutely can’t let that happen again, because the reality of they’re gonna play a lot since Embiid misses games. They’ve tried with however many guys. But how many teams’ best players need to take 10-15 minutes off in order to not wear out? Even the games he’s played, he’s sat out in the 4th quarter whenever possible. It’s hard to be serious when your A-number-1 guy is only good for like 34 minutes.

Nurse is a great coach, but he left meat on the bone. Buddy looked like diarrhea in his other games, but he also had a ridiculously short leash. It's clear he had the ability to contribute once he stopped the nervy shit. Was yanking him early in the series the best long-term play? Didn't love him not returning to the court until the 4th tonight either.

Lowry had his hustle moments and one big game, but when Payne is outplaying you and the Knicks throw athletes aplenty, I have questions with him getting 30-35 minutes a night. It's a tough matchup for 2 small guard lineups. Tobias sucked all the ass, and there's no right answer because the Sixers needed any player with the balls to score, warts and all. I do think KJ or RCIV had a chance to impact this series.

Ew. He was fun for what he is, but he'd be a non-entity in this series. Give me difference makers.
Should have kept Shake too.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
Get a starting caliber center to backup Embiid. Max money on a ball carrier. Have Embiid on serious load management. He needs to be healthy in the playoffs.

Bigtimefeed

Aug 15, 2022
At least the odds of Morey screwing up the offseason are probably the same as Tobias chances of getting another max contract.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
so Reeds contract is not guaranteed now....you guys see the 76ers signing him or maxing the cap space option to see what else is out there?

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Get a starting caliber center to backup Embiid. Max money on a ball carrier. Have Embiid on serious load management. He needs to be healthy in the playoffs.
Dunno what you do at this point. Before this season I suggested (and not jokingly, this was actually my plan).

Don't play Embiid until after the all-star break. Let him sit out the first 3.5 months of the NBA season.

Feb Embiid = Oct Embiid... Making the NBA finals would be like Embiid's body feeling like it's February in a 'regular season'

Problem is he couldn't get 30 games this year before getting hurt and realistically he probably got through about 22 or 23 games before getting hurt, playing some on it then resting a few games and coming back and completely tearing it.

So if Embiid can't get 30 healthy games out of about 40 games played for the Sixers then my drastic 'half-season Embiid' plan won't matter anyway.

The one advantage is once in the playoffs there's no back to backs, sometimes you have 2 days off between games. So maybe that helps the scenario some. (The other major problem is... We saw how bad the Sixers without Embiid for a large portion of the season was)

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
so Reeds contract is not guaranteed now....you guys see the 76ers signing him or maxing the cap space option to see what else is out there?

I think he's gone, but I'm not entirely sure. My guess is Morey likes him more than Nurse, but I know he's committed to all dat cap space.

Reed stunk game 5, but I think the non-Embiid minutes were more a wing/forward issue not picking up any slack. Knicks also are a very tough small 5 matchup. I still like Reed's touch and versatility at both ends. I think it's easier to downgrade than people think.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
Dunno what you do at this point. Before this season I suggested (and not jokingly, this was actually my plan).

Don't play Embiid until after the all-star break. Let him sit out the first 3.5 months of the NBA season.

Feb Embiid = Oct Embiid... Making the NBA finals would be like Embiid's body feeling like it's February in a 'regular season'

Problem is he couldn't get 30 games this year before getting hurt and realistically he probably got through about 22 or 23 games before getting hurt, playing some on it then resting a few games and coming back and completely tearing it.

So if Embiid can't get 30 healthy games out of about 40 games played for the Sixers then my drastic 'half-season Embiid' plan won't matter anyway.

The one advantage is once in the playoffs there's no back to backs, sometimes you have 2 days off between games. So maybe that helps the scenario some. (The other major problem is... We saw how bad the Sixers without Embiid for a large portion of the season was)
That’s why I’m hoping they get someone like PG13, or another player of about that caliber, and an okay starting caliber center. They need to be a legit playoff team without Embiid in the lineup. Almost use him as an x-factor in the playoffs

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
He’s not a valid NBA center. I always expected them to play him as a PF, but he hasn’t really developed the skills. Still, I wouldn’t mind him back as a backup 4 and occasional small-ball 5 but I would expect Morey will see what mega cap space will buy him first. They need a better option as the primary backup to Embiid.

Reactions: Tripod

snoop88

Apr 15, 2012
Please god tell me we aren’t going to run it back sans Tobi with faith in some magical Morey plan.

Blow it up. Blow it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad