Value of: Swayman

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Pens don't currently have their 2nd or 3rd round pick, so an offer sheet at 4 or 5 mil can't happen. I assume we could buy those back for other, slightly more valuable assets though.

Would BOS consider PIT's 2023 1st for Swayman?

Too early to say how things shake out. If moving Swayman ended up being the smart move it’s a reasonable offer.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Could probably be had for a 3rd.

Funny how people are clamoring for a backup goalie to cost a 1st but laugh at that cost for Hart.

Reactions: bearcountry17

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Canes would be strong candidates to offer sheet Swayman in the 2nd round range. We have two 2nds next year so it wouldn't be a big loss of a draft pick. I imagine if a team offered $4M for Swayman the Bruins wouldn't match, but I could be wrong.

An ideal off-season for the Canes would be offersheeting both Swayman and Lafreniere. I'm sure it won't happen but it would be fun.

Reactions: SlavinAway

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Canes would be strong candidates to offer sheet Swayman in the 2nd round range. We have two 2nds next year so it wouldn't be a big loss of a draft pick. I imagine if a team offered $4M for Swayman the Bruins wouldn't match, but I could be wrong.

An ideal off-season for the Canes would be offersheeting both Swayman and Lafreniere. I'm sure it won't happen but it would be fun.
You believe the Bruins would be blindsided by a contract offer between Ottenger and Knight's RFA extensions?

I guess they could be drunk 24/7 or something.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Logistically one difficult thing about a hypothetical offer sheet is that the original team gets a week to match. In most cases, the team would wait the entire week before officially notifying the NHL if only to keep the other team's cap space hostage.

The UFA goalie market tends to get settled quickly as it's a game of musical chairs and you don't want to be the one left standing. The past few opening days of free agency:

2022: Kuemper/Lindgren (WSH), Samsonov (TOR), Campbell (EDM), Halak (NYR), Comrie (BUF), Greiss (STL), Rittich (WPG), Copley (LAK), Jones/Hellberg (SEA), Add in Nashville signing Kevin Lankinen on the second day of free agency. Colorado/New Jersey added Georgiev/Vanecek at the draft.

2021: Ullmark (BOS), Grubauer (SEA), Andersen/Raanta (CAR), Mrazek (TOR), Reimer (SJS), Jones (PHI), Holtby (DAL), Elliott (TBL), Halak (BOS), Anderson/Dell (BUF), Broissoit (VGK), Bernier (NJD), Hutton (ARZ), Rittich (NSH), Pickard (DET). Colorado reacted quickly after losing Grubauer and traded for Kuemper.

So if you were to offer sheet Swayman on July 1, the rest of the goalie market could get settled while you're waiting on Boston to decide to match. If Boston matched, then you might have limited free agent or trade options by July 8.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Logistically one difficult thing about a hypothetical offer sheet is that the original team gets a week to match. In most cases, the team would wait the entire week before officially notifying the NHL if only to keep the other team's cap space hostage.

The UFA goalie market tends to get settled quickly as it's a game of musical chairs and you don't want to be the one left standing. The past few opening days of free agency:

2022: Kuemper/Lindgren (WSH), Samsonov (TOR), Campbell (EDM), Halak (NYR), Comrie (BUF), Greiss (STL), Rittich (WPG), Copley (LAK), Jones/Hellberg (SEA), Add in Nashville signing Kevin Lankinen on the second day of free agency. Colorado/New Jersey added Georgiev/Vanecek at the draft.

2021: Ullmark (BOS), Grubauer (SEA), Andersen/Raanta (CAR), Mrazek (TOR), Reimer (SJS), Jones (PHI), Holtby (DAL), Elliott (TBL), Halak (BOS), Anderson/Dell (BUF), Broissoit (VGK), Bernier (NJD), Hutton (ARZ), Rittich (NSH), Pickard (DET). Colorado reacted quickly after losing Grubauer and traded for Kuemper.

So if you were to offer sheet Swayman on July 1, the rest of the goalie market could get settled while you're waiting on Boston to decide to match. If Boston matched, then you might have limited free agent or trade options by July 8.
That's definitely a concern. That said, this season's UFA class isn't great in goal.

We will know if LA or Carolina is in the market for a goalie by July 1, which determines whether Korpisalo or both of Andersen/Raanta are on the market.

Jarry(?), Jones, Talbot, Andersen(?), Raanta(?), Korpisalo(?), Halak, Hill, Brossoit(?), Rittich? If ever there were a year to miss out on the UFA class this might be it.

And if Boston doesn't sign Swayman by July 1, there may still be an opening a few days later to go for an offer sheet if you don't land a UFA goalie. Carolina didn't offer sheet Kotkaniemi until well into the off-season.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
You believe the Bruins would be blindsided by a contract offer between Ottenger and Knight's RFA extensions?

I guess they could be drunk 24/7 or something.
More related to the fact that their cap is already tight. And they need to find a new 1 and 2 C with said cap.

Ullmark has a 5M cap hit.
Team IS swayman at 4.1M, thats 9.1M tied up in nets, and if they match Bruins can't trade him for a while year. They'd need to trade Ullmark.

How do they pay Bergeron? How do they replace Krejci? They also have 5M$ less to llay with due to bonuses.

The very worse thing that can happen to the bruins ins a team offering a 1 year 4.2M contract to Sway and he takes it. Because the very next year he's for arb rights and, it he puts numbers like that again, he'll get paid.

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
And if Boston doesn't sign Swayman by July 1, there may still be an opening a few days later to go for an offer sheet if you don't land a UFA goalie. Carolina didn't offer sheet Kotkaniemi until well into the off-season.

Yeah, the goalie market tends to be a little bit different since there's a finite amount of spots. And if Boston decides they can't pay Swayman, they'd always have the option to trade him at the draft before July 1. They had Dougie Hamilton as a pending RFA in 2015. The 2015 Draft was expected to be the deeper than 2016, so they preemptively traded Hamilton for 2015 picks instead of possibly risking getting 2016 picks as compensation if he were to sign an offer sheet. Boston also had Martin Jones for a week and dealt him on the eve of free agency. The 2023 Draft is reputedly deeper than 2024.

The very worse thing that can happen to the bruins ins a team offering a 1 year 4.2M contract to Sway and he takes it. Because the very next year he's for arb rights and, it he puts numbers like that again, he'll get paid.

It might be interesting to see if Swayman were willing to do a Kevin Labanc type handshake deal if he felt loyalty to Boston. San Jose was tight to the cap heading to the summer of 2019 and Labanc was fresh off of a 56 point season. It seems comical now, but I remember several Devils fans advocating for a Labanc offer sheet and they were willing to give up a 1st+3rd.

Labanc signed a 1 year deal for 1 million, then signed a 4 year deal (4.725 AAV) after that coming off of a down season. In essence, San Jose tip toed around the cap for that one season and figured they could absort a slightly higher cap hit for Labanc later (unfortunately he regressed and the pandemic/flat cap happened). Labanc essentially got a 5 year, 20 million dollar deal but had to wait a year before getting paid.

BlackFrancis

Dec 14, 2013
More related to the fact that their cap is already tight. And they need to find a new 1 and 2 C with said cap.

Team IS swayman at 4.1M, thats 9.1M tied up in nets, and if they match Bruins can't trade him for a while year. They'd need to trade Ullmark.

How do they pay Bergeron? How do they replace Krejci? They also have 5M$ less to llay with due to bonuses.

If Bergeron and Krejci decide to come back, 90% of their problems are solved by $4m in top 6 centers. They seem to be fully on board with bumping Zacha to replace Krejci, though.

I'm not sure how the very worst thing that could happen would be a team offering Swayman a market rate contract for one season. Unless he is hell bent on leaving, that's possibly the easiest rejection he and his agent will have during his career. Arbitration? He's got arb rights this summer, and if he files, the Bruins will insist on a 2 year deal. If he wants to file for arbitration next summer, same business - 2 year deal. And at that point, I doubt they care, as the TV money will finally be added to the cap.

If a team wants to successfully offer sheet Swayman, they would need to at the very least offer him money above the market rate or give him a three season deal, to bring him to UFA. Offering one season at market rate? Where is the benefit for Jeremy Swayman there?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
If Bergeron and Krejci decide to come back, 90% of their problems are solved by $4m in top 6 centers. They seem to be fully on board with bumping Zacha to replace Krejci, though.

I'm not sure how the very worst thing that could happen would be a team offering Swayman a market rate contract for one season. Unless he is hell bent on leaving, that's possibly the easiest rejection he and his agent will have during his career. Arbitration? He's got arb rights this summer, and if he files, the Bruins will insist on a 2 year deal. If he wants to file for arbitration next summer, same business - 2 year deal. And at that point, I doubt they care, as the TV money will finally be added to the cap.

If a team wants to successfully offer sheet Swayman, they would need to at the very least offer him money above the market rate or give him a three season deal, to bring him to UFA. Offering one season at market rate? Where is the benefit for Jeremy Swayman there?
Euhhh get the #1 spot and sign a big deal after?? He's stuck behind Ulmark until he becomes a UFA in Boston...
If I am Swayman I am looking at teams like BUF, OTT, MTL,.etc... Young teams in need of a #1 G where I can sign a 1year OS and then a LT 5-6M$ deal the yeae after

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Euhhh get the #1 spot and sign a big deal after?? He's stuck behind Ulmark until he becomes a UFA in Boston...
If I am Swayman I am looking at teams like BUF, OTT, MTL,.etc... Young teams in need of a #1 G where I can sign a 1year OS and then a LT 5-6M$ deal the yeae after

Buffalo is already in the process of sorting it out with Levi/Luukkonen, not sure if they'll be in play for another young goalie (who would cost assets) or if they would rather get a veteran UFA.

Montreal is missing its 2024 2nd and Ottawa is missing its 2024 3rd, so that limits the type of offer sheet they could offer. Not sure it makes sense for Montreal to risk giving up an unprotected 1st. Similarly I don't think a 2nd round offer is a slam dunk that Boston wouldn't match.

As mentioned previously, there's a timing issue with an offer sheet on a goalie. Most of the goalie spots are snatched up by the end of the first day of free agency. If you offer sheet Swayman, you might have to wait a week for Boston to officially tell the league whether they're matching. If Boston matched, there won't be many great options left on July 8th. You might be stuck looking at guys on the trade market.

And Swayman's gotten 82 starts over the last two years. It's not like he's been Mike Dunham stuck behind Martin Brodeur.

Last edited:

BlackFrancis

Dec 14, 2013
Yes, the teams with the shittiest defenses possible are the golden ticket to goaltender success. After his contract expires and he's rocking a 3+ GAA, I'm sure the club he signs his life away to for $4m is going to slap big dollars on the table.

I can see that argument working for Carolina, but the dross? No chance. And even the Canes have chewed through goalies lately.

Swayman can stay with Boston at ~$4m, and probably get a three year deal, expiring at age 27. Or he can sign for one year for the same money with a club less defensively proven and hope for the best.

Athletes are notoriously risk averse, at least financially.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Zacha is the #2C. They ain’t finding a #1C not named Bergeron on July 1st and Bergeron will take another bonus laden contract if he decides to come back.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Zacha is the #2C. They ain’t finding a #1C not named Bergeron on July 1st and Bergeron will take another bonus laden contract if he decides to come back.
So they are just pushing the problem another year and have the exact same issue next year.

At the end of the day, Bs are in weak position, everyone knows it and any team with a half decent GM should jump on that. Bs can't retaliate anyways because they have no space.

you have/anyone has the right to raise the ?.
That said, no way should BOS ditch him for cap space.
Instead make other moves.
Ditch 1st rs picks with bad contract like Hall?

Having 10M tied up in net doesn't work, see Habs, Florida,...

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad