Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oilers (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Oilers should find a way to LTIR Kane and bring him up game 1 of the playoffs. That's where his effectiveness is.

Just like Vegas fans been saying, if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You can see how his physical game can be effective in a series against the same opponent, where as sustaining that all season can be tougher.

I think the Oilers move on from him in the summer, but I'm glad he's here now.
They may. His history may make it difficult to find a trade partner (not to mention his NTC), and if they truly want to win he might be a guy they want to keep.

Gregor on DFO today was suggesting VD will be a 2nd pairing d-man soon. He will be an elite 3rd pairing d-man if he's not there already, but I don't see good things in giving him the right side on the second line. He still has trouble with speedy transitions.
He's improved so much in the last year, it's pretty remarkable to see.

I still think there is a dumb GM out there who will give him the Gudbranson contract. I hope I'm wrong though.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Kane has value in the playoffs though.
Yep. A big reason why we finally took a game 1.

The Oilers should find a way to LTIR Kane and bring him up game 1 of the playoffs. That's where his effectiveness is.

A player has to be willing to do it and Kane doesn’t strike me as that type.

Reactions: guymez

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I'm so happy Jeff Jackson is at least holding people accountable.

Sounds like Holland is gone end of the year. Rightly so he hired Wright who sucks. We've drafted no one useful outside round 1. Too many awful contracts as well. Problems not adequately addressed.

That leaves some unfinished business.
I remember when Bob Green insisted on Griffin Reinhart from his oil kings days. We gave up basically 2 first round picks. Maybe our worst trade draft day deal in history.

Green had to be next he's still as scout here. He's done f*** all. Fire all the ameteur scouts end of the year.
The draft results are too early to tell. No first overalls so a crap shoot.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
The draft results are too early to tell. No first overalls so a crap shoot.

No, the results are not too early. Holland Wright has been a failure at drafting for a decade. He's not magically going to get better

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
If you have a good team you don’t get high draft picks.
Yeah you get picks like Wyatt Johnson where he is and Paul coffey saying he's a can't miss. Then you pass on him.

You pass on zebras for broberg. Etc

The only smart thing is trading Reid Schafer who likely will not amount for much in the Ekholm deal.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yeah you get picks like Wyatt Johnson where he is and Paul coffey saying he's a can't miss. Then you pass on him.

You pass on zebras for broberg. Etc

The only smart thing is trading Reid Schafer who likely will not amount for much in the Ekholm deal.
People really need to get off the "should've drafted Zegras" train. Zegras wouldn't have been a great fit here at all. Yes, he has more value than Broberg, but the point isn't who we could have had (and if that's what we are basing it on, Thomas Harley is a better example), it's about taking a guy who has struggled in general. Passing on Zegras isn't an issue. Taking Broberg? Yeah, that's still an issue.

Reactions: McDoused

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
People really need to get off the "should've drafted Zegras" train. Zegras wouldn't have been a great fit here at all. Yes, he has more value than Broberg, but the point isn't who we could have had (and if that's what we are basing it on, Thomas Harley is a better example), it's about taking a guy who has struggled in general. Passing on Zegras isn't an issue. Taking Broberg? Yeah, that's still an issue.

Holland loyalists need to get off the "we need 25 years to assess drafting". Zegras was ranked higher. Holland Wright did their "I'm smarter than you thing" on multiple occasions and yes zegras is a very good example.

It's now come out that coffey wanted Wyatt Johnson and the decision to pass on him the higher ranked player was once again made.

Eventually you need to take responsibility for your track record. It's clear why Jackson's first big move was firing Wright and we know Holland will not be asked to come back next year. "retired" without the shame of a firing.

Reactions: Balakay14

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Kane seems like the type of guy that needs a full NHL schedule to keep him focused. I'd be worried what sort of trouble he gets himself in if he was just left to his own devices for an entire year.

He has also looked pretty bad when coming off long stretches of not playing. If he had several months off before playoffs he would probably take the entire first round just to get up to speed.

Reactions: Canovin

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Personally I was in the minority wanting boldy before zegras. Reminded me a bit of Rantanen

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Holland loyalists need to get off the "we need 25 years to assess drafting". Zegras was ranked higher. Holland Wright did their "I'm smarter than you thing" on multiple occasions and yes zegras is a very good example.

It's now come out that coffey wanted Wyatt Johnson and the decision to pass on him the higher ranked player was once again made.

Eventually you need to take responsibility for your track record. It's clear why Jackson's first big move was firing Wright and we know Holland will not be asked to come back next year. "retired" without the shame of a firing.
This isn't a "Holland apologist" thing. It's calling out a dumb argument. Wanting to draft a higher guy just because they are ranked higher is dumb too.

I'm not defending the Oilers drafting. It's bad. But counting the few number of good picks is the evidence we want. Not the "could have had x" because we don't know if ""x" would have developed the same way here as they did in the other place. Zegras certainly wouldn't have made the NHL so soon here, and who knows how that turns out.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
This isn't a "Holland apologist" thing. It's calling out a dumb argument. Wanting to draft a higher guy just because they are ranked higher is dumb too.

I'm not defending the Oilers drafting. It's bad. But counting the few number of good picks is the evidence we want. Not the "could have had x" because we don't know if ""x" would have developed the same way here as they did in the other place. Zegras certainly wouldn't have made the NHL so soon here, and who knows how that turns out.

The issue is nothing has panned out with Holland draft picks. There are still people insisting "just you wait and see broberg". Um the clock on that has run out. Hell even broberg wanted to quit the team and asked for a trade.

It's not a dumb argument that Holland has zero successful picks in 10 years going back to Larkin. The whole "well we don't know yet". Yes, yes we do and players like Wyatt Johnson who were 1. Higher ranked and 2. Coveted by people not part of the draft team like coffey were passed over. You can't make this degree of f*** ups year after year.

Even Chiarelli who was a disaster for a variety of reasons got some decent deep draft picks. Mcleod, skinner, desharnais are all capable nhl players.

When you can't even make things work in the first round good kick getting lucky deep in.

There is a very good reason why Wright was fired.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
While I certainly expect that Draisaitl's willingness to re-sign will be impacted by the outcome of this playoffs I think an article like this one:

Illustrates his dilemma if his goal is to "win" somewhere else. The author claims through comments by Georges Laroque in an article by Jimmy Murphy
that Draisaitl is interested in playing for the Bruins if he does not re-sign with the Oilers.

Here is a quote from the first article:

Two - there is only so much losing that one player can take. At some point they need to go to a different environment that is better for them. If Draisaitl wants to go to an organization that's focused on winning, it's tough to pick a better team than the Boston Bruins.

I will ask this. When was the last time Boston won the cup? The answer is 2011 which was years before Leon entered the league. That team had Lucic in his prime, Bergeron 25, Chara 33, Krejci 24, Horton 25, Marchand 22, Seguin 18 as well as vets like Recchi, Peverley and Ryder. In addition to Chara on the back end they had Seidenberg, Boychuk, Kaberle, McQuaid and Ference. Their goalies were Tim Thomas and Tuuka Rask.

The last time the Bruins got out of the first round was 2021. But that was a much better roster. This version of the Bruin's is a shadow of that cup team in terms of talent with their top three skaters being Pastrnak 27, McAvoy 25 and soon to be 36 year old Brad Marchand. He would be 37 in the first year of Draisaitl's new deal. They are a team that wins in the regular season on the backs of solid team play and great goaltending. They also do not have a pick in the first three rounds this year and no second the year after to go along with a very limited prospect pool.

Does Leon make the Bruin's more of a contender than the Oilers would be with he and McDavid with a $13M salary??? The Bruins would have to subtract a fair bit from their current roster to fit him in. They could probably manage it next year at $8.5M but that would most likely mean a trade and signing. If the Oilers felt like they were forced to move Leon this off season what would the ask be from Boston? Futures would not be of any interest unless the plan was to completely retool with McDavid gone as well. I'd ask for Swayman and Zacha or Carlo and Lohrei. I'd also make them take Campbell at 50% retained and have them buy him out. Would the team that was left be a cup contender??? If so would the window be more than a year or two?

Frankly for me the Bruins should be viewed more like a team that may need to rebuild in three years than a team poised to make a serious run in the future.

Last edited:

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

Wyatt Johnson was rated 40 and Bourgault at 20 on Bob McKenzie’s rankings.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
If Leon's goal is to win then moving on makes nearly 0 sense. A cup is never a guarantee but not hitching a ride with McDavid definitely reduces your odds, minus joining a super team, which likely wouldn't have the cap to fit you. And it helps that they are very good friends.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The issue is nothing has panned out with Holland draft picks. There are still people insisting "just you wait and see broberg". Um the clock on that has run out. Hell even broberg wanted to quit the team and asked for a trade.

It's not a dumb argument that Holland has zero successful picks in 10 years going back to Larkin. The whole "well we don't know yet". Yes, yes we do and players like Wyatt Johnson who were 1. Higher ranked and 2. Coveted by people not part of the draft team like coffey were passed over. You can't make this degree of f*** ups year after year.

Even Chiarelli who was a disaster for a variety of reasons got some decent deep draft picks. Mcleod, skinner, desharnais are all capable nhl players.

When you can't even make things work in the first round good kick getting lucky deep in.

There is a very good reason why Wright was fired.
I agree that Holland's drafting is an issue. And I agree that the time to consider Broberg a bust is basically upon us. Even if he makes the team next year, he's been around long enough that he has to clear waivers next year. The liklihood of Broberg being the next stud defenseman for us is low. The odds of him being Brian Lee are pretty high (career AHL/NHL tweener).

It isn't dumb to point out Holland's drafting history - what I am suggesting is dumb is continuously pointing out "x player would have been a better pick and ranked higher". Every single team makes and uses their own rankings, its only fans and media who use the drafting rankings. Pointing out that Holland employs a scouting and draft ranking system that doesn't work is fair and 100% accurate. Pointing out that x player was ranked higher by the scouting services just glosses over the fact that Holland's scouting and draft ranking system is broken, and that the Oilers would be better off using the fan rankings I guess, ha ha.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing with your assessment that drafting under Holland has been shite. It has. I'm just saying that we aren't talking about the real problem here when we talk about how we should have drafted x player. Especially in this case, as I don't believe Zegras would have worked well here at all. Still better than an AHL'er I guess, but if we're picking out guys who would have been better picks, there are far better options to mention than Trevor Zegras.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad