Speculation: RBAs next contract

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
During the 2020 negotiations the athletic did an article on Rods contract negotiations and here is what Rod stated

““It’ll happen here,” Brind’Amour said Friday morning. “I don’t see myself doing this long-term. And I don’t see myself doing it anywhere else. I took this job for this purpose, to kind of see if I could help to get us back on track and I don’t think my heart would be in it anywhere else. That’d be hard to do. I get it. I get it why coaches coach one and then the next day they’re trading the hat, and I just don’t think I could do that. It wouldn’t be real.””

Could it be possible, if the Canes win the Cup, Rod will hang up his coaching hat and look for the three peat as a GM where he can claim a championship as. Player, coach and GM? (Starts as an assistant GM for the canes first)

If the canes don’t win the Cup Rod resigns as coach

I'm not sure about the GM speculation. But a good reminder to the people who have forgotten that Rod said he is very unlikely to coach elsewhere. He also said that with all the stress involved, coaching at the NHL level can't be good for one's health. But you really need a hyphen in the word "re-signs" in your last sentence.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
When Rod is done coaching the Canes, given he wants coaching to mean something to him and not just chase team after team after team, I could see him going to a university and coaching there. Almost all the control, more teaching, and he could probably just recruit on name only for a decade. I could see him loving that life.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
When Rod is done coaching the Canes, given he wants coaching to mean something to him and not just chase team after team after team, I could see him going to a university and coaching there. Almost all the control, more teaching, and he could probably just recruit on name only for a decade. I could see him loving that life.

Heck, I could see Rod coaching kids and filling a special advisor role with the Canes similar to Justin Williams.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
You know what?

Maybe put a pin in this and negotiate a little more to make sure this team is in the best shape going forward. Not sure the status quo is it

Reactions: WreckingCrew

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023
There are several things I am good at making better.. like landscaping for example.. I can take a neglected yard and make it look pretty good BUT you would need to hire an expert in landscaping to take it to the next level. Is it possible that Rod has taken this team as far as he is capable? Is making the 2nd/3rd round of the playoffs his ceiling? Or am I just being an idiot?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think so many people underestimate how difficult it is to advance in the playoffs.

Again, this series is two very good teams that are playing against each other, and one team has a decided edge in special teams. And in three 1-goal games (and 2 OT games), that edge makes all the difference.

Yes, it's a bad look, visually, after the Florida series, but I don't see what more Rod can do. He can coach the PP till his breath runs out, but it's up to the players to execute.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
I think so many people underestimate how difficult it is to advance in the playoffs.

Again, this series is two very good teams that are playing against each other, and one team has a decided edge in special teams. And in three 1-goal games (and 2 OT games), that edge makes all the difference.

Yes, it's a bad look, visually, after the Florida series, but I don't see what more Rod can do. He can coach the PP till his breath runs out, but it's up to the players to execute.
It's not just about execution.

It seems to me that the rangers have completely figured out our strategy.

They know the best ways to neutralize our attack our power play and our penalty kill and we haven't made any adjustments.

That definitely seems to be on coaching to me.

We are actually getting production from our first line this series unlike last time.

I don't think Rod needs to go but I do think he needs to adjust a little.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I’ll start by saying I’d be shocked if RBA is not the coach next season. I suppose anything is possible after 2 successive sweeps out of the playoffs, though.

RBA is going to be forced to change styles regardless next season. He’s going to have to integrate at least 1 rookie D without Pesce/Skjei as a safety blanket. There’s also likely at least 1 massive move made up front. IMHO, they need to loosen the reigns and let skill players be skill players, less grindy more flashy. That seems like a massive shift from Canes’ teams of the last few seasons.

The 2nd line C position has to be a priority, along with the top 4RD hole to fill and Jarvis/ Necas/Guentzel contracts. I suppose the one good thing about likely having the season end in the next few days will be the extra weeks prior to 7/1 that the brain trust will have to work on extensions and/or trades.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

I assign more responsibility to the GM who has not put together a roster capable of winning.

Last night’s Gold podcast mentions the fact that we need more aggressive size in the back line.

Pesce, burns, Slavin, chatfield are not physical players and in the playoffs clearing the front matters. Rangers always knock our guys down (yeah I know not penalty for the cross check but refs allow it) out front but we often try finess (gold mentions kreider goal in 2nd game that Slavin tried to use his stick versus having a body to clear him).

Anyway, RBA probably needs to make some adjustments but ultimately the roster he deals with is DW’s.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

They know the best ways to neutralize our attack our power play and our penalty kill and we haven't made any adjustments.

We are actually getting production from our first line this series unlike last time.

I am at a loss really as to what the problem is with the team. I mean, it clearly is the special teams, but why are they performing so much worse in the playoffs than the regular season, this year especially? Is the coaching worse now? Do the players just not have the mental fortitude to deal with the pressure?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

So you think Rod's saw the 0/15 on the PP this series and has made zero adjustments? That he's decided "This is fine?"

Reactions: AD Skinner

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I assign more responsibility to the GM who has not put together a roster capable of winning.

Last night’s Gold podcast mentions the fact that we need more aggressive size in the back line.

Pesce, burns, Slavin, chatfield are not physical players and in the playoffs clearing the front matters. Rangers always knock our guys down (yeah I know not penalty for the cross check but refs allow it) out front but we often try finess (gold mentions needier thing goal in 2nd game that Slavin tried to use his stick versus having a body to clear him).

Anyway, RBA probably needs to make some adjustments but ultimately the roster he deals with is DW’s.

I don't know. I do think there are certainly issue with the personnel, but aggressiveness in front of our own net seems really far down the list to me. I'd put aggressiveness in front of the opposing goalie's net as a bigger issue. We've know for years that we need that as a team to be successful given the shooting talent we have, and yet, faced with one of the hottest goalies in the playoffs, we still don't do it enough, or our forwards don't wait a bit more for the others to get in position before taking the shot. Way too many "clean" looks for Igor last night. Is that the players not moving to position? Is that the players shooting too soon? Is that Rod's system of offense being schizophrenic (how can you be in good defensive position and cycling and in front of the net at the same time)? I don't have the answers, frankly. But I don't think the solution when we only score two goals is the defense.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
So you think Rod's saw the 0/15 on the PP this series and has made zero adjustments? That he's decided "This is fine?"

I think he is of a similar mindset to Ron Rivera was in 2015. They have a system that they play. Rod believes in his system, and believes in his assistants.

I do think at least half of the PP issue lies on the players but i do think being figured out is also part of it.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
There are several things I am good at making better.. like landscaping for example.. I can take a neglected yard and make it look pretty good BUT you would need to hire an expert in landscaping to take it to the next level. Is it possible that Rod has taken this team as far as he is capable? Is making the 2nd/3rd round of the playoffs his ceiling? Or am I just being an idiot?
Keep in mind that in your example, there would be 3 to 5 landscapers in the world that have shown capable of doing better than you.

And it is such a crapshoot.

After losing to columbus, there was plenty of sentiment in tampa that Cooper couldn't get it done. He won the next two.

Boston decided Cassidy had hit his ceiling and shitcanned him. Looked brilliant when they had literally the best regular season ever the next year. Only to wash out in the first rounf and watch Cassidy win the cup.

The sharks never got over the hump.

Which is a lot of words to say "idk."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad