NHL: Around the League 52

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Bruins either setting up a damn good joke or they are a damn good joke.

This is the 3rd playoff series in recent memory where the Bruins went up 3-1 on the Leafs, then the Leafs pushed the series to 7.

2013, 2018, and now 2024. I think this one ends the same as the others.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Boston had 15 OTLs this year. Their record was propped up and they’re not a super great team.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Boston doesn't have a lot of scoring depth. That's why game 1 it getting so much was a surprise. But most other games it's been clear they have Noone to get good chances but Pasta and marchy

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Boston doesn't have a lot of scoring depth. That's why game 1 it getting so much was a surprise. But most other games it's been clear they have Noone to get good chances but Pasta and marchy
McAvoy gets plenty of good looks too. But yeah, their offensive threats are very limited.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Boston had 15 OTLs this year. Their record was propped up and they’re not a super great team.
How embarrassing. There's no way banking a lot of points in overtime would ever come back to bite a team in the ass during the playoffs

1714750172915.png

Reactions: JaegerDice

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
How embarrassing. There's no way banking a lot of points in overtime would ever come back to bite a team in the ass during the playoffs

View attachment 864097

It skews perception of the team’s quality, for sure.

Truthfully, standings points have never been a particularly good indicator of team quality, even before the loser point or 3v3 OT.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It skews perception of the team’s quality, for sure.

Truthfully, standings points have never been a particularly good indicator of team quality, even before the loser point or 3v3 OT.
Right. How often does the President's Trophy winner actually win the Cup? It's a miniscule amount, off the top of my head. Hawks were the last ones to do it, I believe, in 2013.

Went and googled it. Only 8 winners of the President's Trophy have gone on to win the Cup in the 36 times it has been awarded. The last one to do it was the 2013 Hawks team. And actually, of those 8, half of them are since the year 2000. Colorado, Detroit twice, and then the Hawks in 2013.

Reactions: JaegerDice

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Right. How often does the President's Trophy winner actually win the Cup? It's a miniscule amount, off the top of my head. Hawks were the last ones to do it, I believe, in 2013.

Went and googled it. Only 8 winners of the President's Trophy have gone on to win the Cup in the 36 times it has been awarded. The last one to do it was the 2013 Hawks team.

Yep.

The last time I looked, the first place team has won the cup more than any other opening playoff seed, but theres a lot of original 6 era and expansion era skewing that record.

Im confident if you started the count at the 30-team era moving forward, the numbers would be more balanced across the top 8 teams, with some outliers in the bottom 8.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Of course there are 2 teams on the ice. :sarcasm:
For both those games the bruins had 1 shot in each of the 1st periods.

I think last game they had 1 shot through the 1st 30 minutes.

The leafs are hardly a powerhouse defensive team. They played better but the bruins effort was almost non existent. It was embarrassing to watch.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Bruins have looked like a different team the last 2 games. They look scared.

Also heard that no team in any league has ever been up 3-1 in consecutive years and lost. Bruins would be in rare air with that record.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
For both those games the bruins had 1 shot in each of the 1st periods.

I think last game they had 1 shot through the 1st 30 minutes.

The leafs are hardly a powerhouse defensive team. They played better but the bruins effort was almost non existent. It was embarrassing to watch.

The game yesterday they had 1 shot through like 30 mins, and it was a PP shot on top of it. :laugh:

Reactions: Wally1112pac

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It was brutal to watch.

They should have left the arena with bags over their heads. Everyone but Swayman.
Leafs played very well with their backs against the wall in the last 2 games. Adjustments were made - they shut down Bruins two main offensive weapons in 88 and 73 and Woll was solid in nets when he was called upon... yet you refuse to acknowledge that, other than to say they were better. The Leafs team deserves more credit than you and others are giving them.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad