Speculation: Next head coach of the San Jose Sharks

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Hard pass on Brind'Amour too, not after that epic choke job.

Ehh, they lost to a much better Rangers team. Fact is that Brind’Amour is a very good HC who can build a strong culture in the locker room which is what we need most right now with Celebrini and Smith coming in. I don’t think that there would be a better candidate out there if he becomes available.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Ehh, they lost to a much better Rangers team. Fact is that Brind’Amour is a very good HC who can build a strong culture in the locker room which is what we need most right now with Celebrini and Smith coming in. I don’t think that there would be a better candidate out there if he becomes available.
Sharks feel like a downgrade for him though, I think it's a tough sell and he's not even fired yet

Reactions: landshark and WSS11

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Carolina's got a really solid team all around...except in net. There's no reason to hold Brind'Amour accountable for an overall strong team effort that was simply undermined by former Leafs netminding.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
it's kinda annoying sometimes cuz you don't know if a post is response to something or kinda an insane one off post. although there is an option on the blocklist to show ignored content as a toggle.

I have one poster here blocked and that's only because history has proven, repeatedly, that he has nothing to add to any thread but attitude. Enough said...

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Sharks feel like a downgrade for him though, I think it's a tough sell and he's not even fired yet
It depends on what he wants/likes. Maybe Rod the Bod likes being able to take the lead of a young team that he can shape into his ideal sorts of players vs butting heads with grump old vets that don’t want to change the way they do things?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Older then Bordeleau and did a lot less with way more then Bordeleau. But some how Bordeleau is on your hit list and zadina is okay for you.
Zadina is much better suited to a bottom six role on a winning team than Bordeleau. He just needs to get it through his head that he’s not a scorer and focus on playing a responsible two way game. Maybe he can even reinvent himself offensively in his late 20s like Lehkonen. Either way the NHL is full of highly drafted forwards who settled into long careers as useful bottom six wingers. I would rather take the chance on finding out if Zadina is one of them than guarantee Bordeleau a roster spot when he’s waiver exempt.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Zadina is much better suited to a bottom six role on a winning team than Bordeleau. He just needs to get it through his head that he’s not a scorer and focus on playing a responsible two way game. Maybe he can even reinvent himself offensively in his late 20s like Lehkonen. Either way the NHL is full of highly drafted forwards who settled into long careers as useful bottom six wingers. I would rather take the chance on finding out if Zadina is one of them than guarantee Bordeleau a roster spot when he’s waiver exempt.
We found out what zadina is and it was not pretty for a bottom 6 forward. Being the worst in the league defensively is not that good when you also do not bring offense.

I would rather try Bordeleau instead of giving zadina another chance at the NHL which he does not deserve, at least with Bordeleau there is still some potential.

Reactions: themelkman

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Because Zadina is so old…
Did I say he was old? No, I said give better opportunities to younger players. Argue the point and don't make straw mans.
Except he isn't much better suited to a bottom six role on a winning team because he doesn't do any of the things you're talking about any better than Bordeleau does. You don't need to take a chance on finding out if Zadina is one of them because he's already shown that he isn't.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Errey spent ten years in Pittsburgh before joining the Sharks with a couple Cups. There’s a little more credibility established than what Kunin has done. If a new coach comes in, I’d hope that they’d want a little more out of guys than what Kunin provided. I’d like for them to set higher standards with acquisitions moving forward.
I meant in the sense of a hard working player who hustles every night maximizing what limited talent he has

Thankfully Berube got the Toronto job

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Interesting how quickly the Maple Leafs fired Keefe and hired Berube, all the while the Sharks still haven't filled their HC vacancy.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Filip Zadina was just this year's Jonathan Dahlen. He actually scored at a worse pace than Dahlen did, at the same age.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Just tells me it either wasnt planned or they are waiting for a shoe to drop
It seems pretty clear that there was something going on with the locker room and Quinn and he needed to be excised immediately.

I still don’t think there’s a huge rush to find a coach. Whoever comes in next is not likely to still be the coach when we’re a playoff team again.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
It seems pretty clear that there was something going on with the locker room and Quinn and he needed to be excised immediately.

I still don’t think there’s a huge rush to find a coach. Whoever comes in next is not likely to still be the coach when we’re a playoff team again.

I agree, it seemed like Grier discovered something that he was really put off by during the exit interviews and immediately got rid of Quinn. I'm really curious what it is, because Quinn comes off as a very nice dude (but maybe it's as simple as everyone saying that he's a nice dude but never had an actual gameplan or who knows).

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I agree, it seemed like Grier discovered something that he was really put off by during the exit interviews and immediately got rid of Quinn. I'm really curious what it is, because Quinn comes off as a very nice dude (but maybe it's as simple as everyone saying that he's a nice dude but never had an actual gameplan or who knows).
I bet that’s the case. Guy is a great talker and seems like a decent person, but it’s clear that he had absolutely no system at all. I made this complaint multiple times during the season, because it was so obvious that even an amateur like me could see it. I also think the fact that the team basically gave up and quit every time they gave up a goal or two early reflects very poorly on Quinn.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I bet that’s the case. Guy is a great talker and seems like a decent person, but it’s clear that he had absolutely no system at all. I made this complaint multiple times during the season, because it was so obvious that even an amateur like me could see it. I also think the fact that the team basically gave up and quit every time they gave up a goal or two early reflects very poorly on Quinn.

Yeah, I found Demers' talk about it really enlightening on Brody's podcast -- saying basically as much, there's no real system and when he watched Quinn's other teams, he also didn't think there was really a system. I really don't have an eye for that kind of thing, but it did look very strangely like the team genuinely had no idea where to go at any given time, particularly in the defensive zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad