Proposal: Montreal - Calgary

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
For the next 3 years :P But in Josh's case. There is no way he can do worse than he did this year. Gallagher wasn't that bad this year. Not worth his contract but he did help the team (unlike Anderson who was destroying any line he was part of).
Yeah the point is it’s 1 garbage for 2 garbage . Maybe worth trying a different garbage.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Pass. Those two are useless.

There's only so many roster spots to go around and the Flames need to keep them for onboarding their drafted prospects, not waste them on the likes of Gallagher and Anderson. By year 4 or 5 of Huberdeau's deal the cap will be over 100 million and his AAV isn't going to be much of a burden anymore.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Calgary Flames
Brendan Gallagher
Josh Anderson

Montreal Canadiens
Jonathan Huberdeau
No, backend of Huberdeau contract would kill us when we cup contenders.

I would rather trade Anderson for Dubois then buy him out. Caphit only 1.4 million and we move Anderson. Kings free up 3 million in caproom and gain a player

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
i hope you remember the value of sample size next time you defend a habs player's body of work
Sample size matters for young developing hockey players and prospects. For seasoned vets like Huberdeau earning 10+M, the body of your work and consistency matters most.

Reactions: viceroy

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
With Calgary on the verge of a rebuild, this is the type of deal that would make sense to them. You don’t want to be stuck in 5 years exiting your rebuild with a washed up Huberdeau at 10.5M/year taking away important cap space for little production. I also suspect the next 3-4 years will be bottom of the standing for them so it won’t matter much who they ice.

That being said, for the same reason Calgary should do it, Montreal shouldn’t. They can’t afford a declining Huberbeau and as their young guns grow into players, they will want to get paid and Hubby contracts will be a problem in 3 years where Gallagher and Anderson contracts will be off the books

Reactions: pth2

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Put Huberdeau back on the East and he would flourish. He also would have Suzuki and Caufield to play with. Imo, it should be a no brainer for Montreal. He’s not the right fit here, I think he would kill it back home. I think we will give it another year or two to see if he can ever become a PPG player again, but it’s doubtful.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
We'll keep Huberdeau, he may not be worth 10.5M but he's at least been playing at ~80% of his value since the start of the new year
makes no sense for either team

Just be honest, Gallagher and Anderson for 13M for the next 4 years is no bargain. It’s in that ballpark of horrible
It's not in the ballpark, it is horrible 100%, but our window will be opening (hoepfully) in 2-3 years at which point Gallgaher and Anderson contracts will be up while Huberdeau's will have 4 years remainigng.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
For the Flames I'd definitely do it. Better to get the bad deals off the books sooner. For that reason, Montreal isn't going to do it.

Reactions: Lazytrout

Ledge And Dairy

Sure. But that's in Year 2 of an eight-year contract. And what you're saying is that he's played at only 80% for 1/4 of it. What do you think years 5-8 are going to look like?
Cross that bridge when we get there. What's important now is that he's not in his own head anymore and back to enjoying hockey. Skinner was awful the first 2 seasons of his contract too, in fact much worse

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal Fans, you guys are ok waiting 3 more years to compete??
I think you're ready almost by next year alone. It's time to take the next step.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think you're ready almost by next year alone. It's time to take the next step.
Hahahahaha

Flames fans, you guys are stuck with Hubs forever!! Like in 7 years when he us off the books, we might have hovercrafts and teleportation invented!

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Hahahahaha

Flames fans, you guys are stuck with Hubs forever!! Like in 7 years when he us off the books, we might have hovercrafts and teleportation invented!
Hey, at least this year - and likely a few years to come, we'll get more out of his contract than you guys will with those 2
Hubs alone scored more points than both Gall & JA combined, at 1.5 mill cheaper.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Hey, at least this year - and likely a few years to come, we'll get more out of his contract than you guys will with those 2
Hubs alone scored more points than both Gall & JA combined, at 1.5 mill cheaper.
And in 3 x years, when we are ready to compete, we will have 12M coming off the books. In 3 x years, when Hubs gets even worse, you will have a useless old broken winger costing you 10.5M for another 4 years!

I suppose the Flames are hoping to compete in 2031?

Habs have the luxury of time. They will happily wait out those two contracts and lean on Gally / Josh to help the young players adapt to the NHL.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
And in 3 x years, when we are ready to compete, we will have 12M coming off the books. In 3 x years, when Hubs gets even worse, you will have a useless old broken winger costing you 10.5M for another 4 years!

I suppose the Flames are hoping to compete in 2031?

Habs have the luxury of time. They will happily wait out those two contracts and lean on Gally / Josh to help the young players adapt to the NHL.
Well, considering the length you feel your rebuild would take, why on Earth would you be surprised at that timeline? Why does Montreal have the luxury of time, but Calgary doesn't?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Well, considering the length you feel your rebuild would take, why on Earth would you be surprised at that timeline? Why does Montreal have the luxury of time, but Calgary doesn't?
Because the Habs rebuild put them roughly in compete mode in 3 years. Right when they will need Gally/Josh Anderson's capspace. Habs have the luxury of time in that they can easily wait 3 x years for their contracts to expire.

Calgary has the luxury of time if they intend on not competing for 7 years....

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Because the Habs rebuild put them roughly in compete mode in 3 years. Right when they will need Gally/Josh Anderson's capspace. Habs have the luxury of time in that they can easily wait 3 x years for their contracts to expire.

Calgary has the luxury of time if they intend on not competing for 7 years....
And its taken you how many years to get to this point?
And who TF knows what the future holds?
All I know is that Hubs will be at least decent for the next few years. I won't worry now about shit that might happen 4+ years from now.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Put Huberdeau back on the East and he would flourish. He also would have Suzuki and Caufield to play with. Imo, it should be a no brainer for Montreal. He’s not the right fit here, I think he would kill it back home. I think we will give it another year or two to see if he can ever become a PPG player again, but it’s doubtful.
Suzuki and CC have Slaf to play with. There is no room for a 10.5M nuclear waste of a contract.

Try LA for PLD!

Reactions: CTHabsfan

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Compete for what, for a playoff spot maybe. But not for the cup.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
We are still missing at least 2 top6F (one of them needs to be an elite one), an elite dman and a #1G

The D should be taken care of this draft. With one or Levshunov Buium or Parekh likelly available at 5. If 2 of these are gone by #5, then one of Demidov Lindstrom Catton is there at 5. So we fix one of those issue this draft no matter what.

Habs will suck again in 2024-2025, and be contenders 2025-2026. And then, Anderson and Gallagher are off the books.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
We'll keep Huberdeau, he may not be worth 10.5M but he's at least been playing at ~80% of his value since the start of the new year
We'll keep Gallagher, he had 10 points over his last eight games. 1.25 ppg is a bargain for $6.5 million!!!

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Montréal simply can't afford to take on that contract

I wouldn't mind Huberdeau with us at all, but this contract is currently unmovable IMO

PLD and Nurse are the kind of players Huberdeau should be traded for

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad