Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2023-24

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
OMG, Wallsted may have just made the save of the year by a Wild goalie.

EDIT: No, the puck hit the post, lol. I thought he got his stick on it, it was a rebound to an open player on a wide open net.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
So I guess we just hope that Marjo , Freddy , Foligno and Zucc all have career years this year and we squeak into the playoffs on the bubble and get Jetted in the 1st rd again?

This somehow causes Kap to decide he want that type of success for the rest of his career and he resigns?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Ok, I don't know too much about him.

He needs to be the 3rd FWD on a scoring line, more of a passenger than a driver. If he could be sheltered in that respect he'd be okay. MN doesn't have anymore room for that type of FWD.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
The breezer advertisements for Sweden completely ruin the look IMO, looks terrible next to the striped socks.

JEE is such a beast, it hasn’t been long but still missed watching him.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
OMG, Wallsted may have just made the save of the year by a Wild goalie.

EDIT: No, the puck hit the post, lol. I thought he got his stick on it, it was a rebound to an open player on a wide open net.
The replay on this, it looks like Wallstedt actually would have gotten it with the blade of his stick had it been on net, great stretch and nice highlight reel of saves for him at the intermission.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
We got a Wild goal! Bacon scores from the face off dot, coming in alone in the O-zone. It came a minute after Shark's Fabian Zetterlund scored 1-0. 6 minutes to go.

Wallstedt lets in a goal, I think it went in above his shoulder on the far side, shooter was just above the face off dot.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If Chisholm is going to get more than one of the LD on an ELC I'd just non-QO or trade him. He was just a slight bigger/better Addison 5v5 and worse on the PP.

I look at the season end roster like this going into the offseason:

Can't move (Full NTC/NMC): Zucc, Kap, Hartman, Foligno, MAF, Brodin
Untouchable to trade: JEE, Boldy, Faber, Ohgren, Wallstedt
Wouldn't trade: BoGo
Don't care if they are back or not: Rossi, Shaw, Middleton, Chisholm, Marat K.
Trade/waivers: Gus, Spurgeon, MarJo, Freddy G, Merrill, Lettieri

I'm not re-signing and of the pending UFAs to be on the NHL roster, a couple could be AHL roster fillers.

I'd look to trade a LD prospect, likely as a sweetener to a bigger deal, just to clear up the positional backlog a little bit. Other than that I wouldn't move any AHL ELC's or unsigned prospects.
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. He was way better than Addison.

5v5, Chisholm had a better CF/60, CA/60, SF/60, SA/60, GF/60, GA/60, xGF/60, xGA/60, etc, etc, etc.

Surely that is worth keeping around to see.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. He was way better than Addison.

5v5, Chisholm had a better CF/60, CA/60, SF/60, SA/60, GF/60, GA/60, xGF/60, xGA/60, etc, etc, etc.

Surely that is worth keeping around to see.

Chisholm 3p (ES) and -8 in 29 games in MN. He was okay for the eye test, but nothing special. The adv stats liked him, but the on ice stats don't.

I'd rather give one of the kids in Iowa a chance before paying Chisholm more than their cap hits. 5 d-men on the team are better than him. 5 d-men on the team are better choices for the PK. He might get PP2 time, but he's behind Faber and Spurgeon as far as PP d-men.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Chisholm 3p (ES) and -8 in 29 games in MN. He was okay for the eye test, but nothing special. The adv stats liked him, but the on ice stats don't.

I'd rather give one of the kids in Iowa a chance before paying Chisholm more than their cap hits. 5 d-men on the team are better than him. 5 d-men on the team are better choices for the PK. He might get PP2 time, but he's behind Faber and Spurgeon as far as PP d-men.
We're talking about a guy who hasn't even played 40 NHL games yet. That's too early to judge anything.

The LD in Iowa suck outside of maybe Peart, who did look pretty good to end the year. Hunt looks like he will top out as a 3rd pairing guy. Lambos? oof. O'Rourke? meh. If you look at Chisholm's AHL stats, they are better than all of these guys.

Reactions: Spurgeon

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
I'm not gonna jump to any conclusions yet, but give him an offseasons worth of hard work and he might become a good NHL defenseman. I liked him in more games than not and I think he's already much better than Addison ever were. But that's not saying much, Addison was a mess. Give him a one year show me deal and then decide what he's worth after cap hell is over. Next season should be a down year anyway.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

north21

May 1, 2014
MN

You spent about 5 posts telling me advanced stats said our defense was great and it was all on the goalies, now not so much?

I'd be fine if they give hunt a shot but we might as well keep chisholm around and see if there is more there. If he can keep merril off the ice more power to him.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Gus was in net today for Sweden vs Czechia and he saved all 34 shots. Swedes win 2-0.
No Marcus Johansson on the ice, and he was not the captain. The name of the captain is Linus Johansson.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Gus+#13 for #10+Dawes

#10+Rossi+Lambos for Jiricek+Marchenko

Kaprizov-Ek-Boldy
Ohgren-Hartman-Marchenko
Johansson-Khusnutdinov-Zucc
Milne-Gaudreau-Foligno
Lettieri

Brodin-Faber
Middleton-Jiricek
Chisholm-Spurgeon
Bogosian

Wallstedt
Fleury

Thoughts?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Gus+#13 for #10+Dawes

Kaprizov-Ek-Boldy
Ohgren-Hartman-Marchenko
Milne-Gaudreau-Foligno
Lettieri

Brodin-Faber
Middleton-Jiricek
Chisholm-Spurgeon
Bogosian

Wallstedt
Fleury

Thoughts?
Not for me. In this draft, i don't see a big enough difference between 10 and 13 to think it's worthwhile. I also am hoping for a bounce back year from Gus- somewhere in between this year and the last year when he was a Vezina candidate. I think he is talented, still young, and can see he and Wall being the two team goaltenders for years to come.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Not for me. In this draft, i don't see a big enough difference between 10 and 13 to think it's worthwhile. I also am hoping for a bounce back year from Gus- somewhere in between this year and the last year when he was a Vezina candidate. I think he is talented, still young, and can see he and Wall being the two team goaltenders for years to come.
Okay, what if you skip the Gus trade and instead just do #13+Rossi+Lambos(+something) for Jiricek+Marchenko?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Gus+#13 for #10+Dawes

Kaprizov-Ek-Boldy
Ohgren-Hartman-Marchenko
Milne-Gaudreau-Foligno
Lettieri

Brodin-Faber
Middleton-Jiricek
Chisholm-Spurgeon
Bogosian

Wallstedt
Fleury

Thoughts?

I'd stop at the NDJ trade to #10 and use the pick. I don't see how Rossi and Lambos fit in CBJ.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Okay, what if you skip the Gus trade and instead just do #13+Rossi+Lambos(+something) for Jiricek+Marchenko?
God no. Ick. Jiricek had a rough year, though he is still very young. I know he is tall, and a RHD, but unless MN has some recent inside info that he is some stud I don't get that trade, at all. I get that he is tall, and Rossi is short, but at this point, Yakemchuk could well be there at #13. He's tall, and a RHD. For that matter, we can pick the other Jiricek...he's tall, and a RHD.

Rossi had a good rookie year, playing with mediocre talent. Not ready to give up on him, especially for a "maybe".

Last edited:
Reactions: fgobuzz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad