Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It's a shame that Easton Cowan can't play for the Marlies next year.

IMO you give him games at the NHL level here and there. Then let him slow-cook with the Marlies and he will have a spot in the 25-26 season. He's definitely looking like one of the few Dubas trades that worked out.

It's really exciting to have this kid. The scouts have to find another gem this year

orrrr demand the knights play him at c.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Who wants to be the one to give that message to Hunter

????? I will.

It’s not hard.

Hey. We want to develop him as a c. That is either happening up with us through practice and sparing games/wjc

Or you can have him develop as a C in London for the year.

Let me know.

It’s pretty easy.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Using last season as a model

Leafs opened their Season Oct 11 - he'd miss any Knights games before this anyway, with NHL camp as an upgrade.

WJC selection camp opened December 10th

So we're talking essentially about 2 months. On Saturday December 9th the Leafs had played 24 games, the Knights 23 during that 2 months.

If we leave ourselves the roster/cap flexibility he could be sent down to the Marlies for a 14 day conditioning loan during that window. Marlies tend to play 5-6 times in a given 14 day block.

So if we do this right we're looking at 6 AHL + 9 NHL games + with two months NHL/AHL practices and full-time work with the Leafs development staff vs. ~23 OHL games. I think that's an easy trade developmentally. Then we have two decision dates- does he get loaned to WJC or play his 10th game, does he go to the Knights after WJC's or come back and play the rest of the season in Toronto

Last edited:

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Doubt they bounce him around, we know toronto doesn't like that

I don't know enough about Tre but Dubas didn't and he is no longer here.

_________________________________________________________________________________

That being typed. At this point the likely hood is there isn't looking like there is a good path for him.​
The best hope is he has a great summer, comes into camp and dominates. Makes the big team and continues solid all year. I'm not banking on it but it is a hope.​

Reactions: hockeynorth

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Have you not watched him ?

His compete level is through the roof .
He never takes a night of.
He was one of the best players at the rookie tournament
He's a PK machine
He gets involved physically
He will be a spong in the NHL always wanting to be better
I just mean he doesn't shoot like an elite sniper, make plays like an elite playmaker, have elite edges, etc etc etc. Obviously his compete is high, but it's hard to quantify and can be subject to environment moreso than someone's ability to pick corners.

horner

May 22, 2007
I just mean he doesn't shoot like an elite sniper, make plays like an elite playmaker, have elite edges, etc etc etc. Obviously his compete is high, but it's hard to quantify and can be subject to environment moreso than someone's ability to pick corners.
Have you watched him alot.
All players have things to work on to get to where they want to go .

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
????? I will.

It’s not hard.

Hey. We want to develop him as a c. That is either happening up with us through practice and sparing games/wjc

Or you can have him develop as a C in London for the year.

Let me know.

It’s pretty easy.
That's something that will work itself out, no need to make any threats.

If he's the best option at C he'll play C, if he's not than he's probably not going to be a C at the NHL level.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Could say the same about Marchand

Reactions: horner

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Have you watched him alot.
All players have things to work on to get to where they want to go .
This isn't me doubting him. Guy has had an amazing year and raised his stock profoundly. As I said though, I don't think anyone has said Cowan is amazing at X besides that he competes. That is a skill, but it can swayed by coaching, situation, etc in ways that being the fastest guy can't.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
At this point I think there is over a 50% chance he ends up at C.

It does not matter where you play him, he finds a way to involve himself in the play and drive the play. It is a characteristic of a C.

His personality is the opposite of Marner. He will go through you if he has to. He often runs around bouncing off people like a pinball.

Reactions: horner and arso40

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
At this point I think there is over a 50% chance he ends up at C.

It does not matter where you play him, he finds a way to involve himself in the play and drive the play. It is a characteristic of a C.

His personality is the opposite of Marner. He will go through you if he has to. He often runs around bouncing off people like a pinball.

Centre in Jr and centre in the NHL is different, I think a full year in the OHL playing it would help him.

At worst? You're likely to have a great 2-way winger.

horner

May 22, 2007
This isn't me doubting him. Guy has had an amazing year and raised his stock profoundly. As I said though, I don't think anyone has said Cowan is amazing at X besides that he competes. That is a skill, but it can swayed by coaching, situation, etc in ways that being the fastest guy can't.
32 goal in 54 games 182 shot
I have seen hom make passes through 2 player .
O thought he was one of the fastest players at the prospect tournament but he gets skating lessons this past summer .
This prospect will be a gym rat and always trying to refine his game.

Reactions: arso40

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
It's a shame that Easton Cowan can't play for the Marlies next year.

IMO you give him games at the NHL level here and there. Then let him slow-cook with the Marlies and he will have a spot in the 25-26 season. He's definitely looking like one of the few Dubas trades that worked out.

It's really exciting to have this kid. The scouts have to find another gem this year
If Cowan comes to Leafs training camp and shows that he's ready then why not play him with the Leafs? Knies looked ready last camp and he stayed and played pretty well for his first full season. Some prospects need more time and others might be ready sooner than later and Cowan looks like he might be the latter.

If he looks good in preseason then let him play in the regular season and see if he sinks or swims. No reason to keep him in the minors if he's actually ready.

Reactions: horner and arso40

horner

May 22, 2007
If Cowan comes to Leafs training camp and shows that he's ready then why not play him with the Leafs? Knies looked ready last camp and he stayed and played pretty well for his first full season. Some prospects need more time and others might be ready sooner than later and Cowan looks like he might be the latter.

If he looks good in preseason then let him play in the regular season and see if he sinks or swims. No reason to keep him in the minors if he's actually ready.
You can see it in his eyes that he has that killer instincts not wanting to lose

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Knies
McMann
Have made the leap

Next up : who sticks next from Marlies?
Holmberg (for good?)
Steeves: like to see him get a longer look
Kokkonen: rounding into that solid 6/7 D?
Niemela: needs to have a big leap in development year.

Other Rookies
Minten:
Cowan:
Grebyokin:
Chadwick:
Webber:

Will Berube be willing to stick with a few young guys and put up with some mistakes?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Knies
McMann
Have made the leap

Holmberg (for good?)

Other Rookies
Minten:
Cowan:
Grebyokin:
Chadwick:
Webber:

Will Berube be willing to stick with a few young guys and put up with some mistakes?

He has played youngsters like Robert Thomas, Vince Dunn, Sean Couturier, Jordan Kyrou.
19-21 year olds.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Knies
McMann
Have made the leap

Holmberg (for good?)

Other Rookies
Minten:
Cowan:
Grebyokin:
Chadwick:
Webber:

Cowan and Chadwick Rookies that would be junior - NHL.

Chadwick making the NHL ... I haven't heard anything mentioned about that possibility.
Webber, yes older but again does he have a chance?

Minten, Grebyonkin both probably will be in competition to be options, although if Leafs re-sign their RFA's they will have to be better than Dewar and Gregor. Robertson is likely on the team or on another team.

Reactions: arso40

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Knies
McMann
Have made the leap

Holmberg (for good?)

Other Rookies
Minten:
Cowan:
Grebyokin:
Chadwick:
Webber:

I think a new coach like Berube may be more inclined to gamble on the youngsters in his first year if he thinks they are are guaranteed to make the team the following year.

They will give him some rope in his first year. I could see him benching the vets that do not show up every game and giving any rookies a clear shot if they show up to compete every night.

The likelihood of Cowan, Minten, or Grebs of making the team has gone up with his hiring. These three have high compete levels.

Reactions: aingefan

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Knies
McMann
Have made the leap

Holmberg (for good?)

Other Rookies
Minten:
Cowan:
Grebyokin:
Chadwick:
Webber:

Holmberg is pretty firmly an NHL player at this point imo

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
A line of Knies, McMann, and Cowan would be a thing of beauty to watch for years to come. Players with compete, heart and skill.
I was pushing for Knies - Minten - McMann in the preseason when Minten was up. That unit would be an awesome 3rd line providing size, grit, defense, and offense like we haven't had in a while.

Reactions: aingefan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad