Maple Leafs hire Craig Berube as head coach

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
This is akin to installing a new water well because your septic tank/field collapsed.
Enjoy the continued shit problems.
They can still deal a member of the core 4 you know

In fact, Chris Johnston went on overdrive just now to say that they will still look to move a core 4 piece and this changed nothing on that front

Reactions: Blanka

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Who's to say they won't make other changes? Usually trades happen in the offseason you know, not during the playoffs.
Sure, but they could do that without firing the coach....
That was the point.. They didn't need to put in a new well.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
The Leafs have averaged like 105 points/season for the last 7 or 8 years. Him having a 100 point season isn't really a selling point.

I'm not really holding my breath that he's the guy to suddenly turn things around for the Leafs.
The Blues issues in the regular and post-season from 2020-on haven’t really been related to coaching.

He put on a coaching clinic for the WCF vs SJ in 2019 as well as vs Boston. The team could have folded after the hand pass but didn’t.

Additionally, he flat out-coached Evason in 2022 the first round vs Minnesota and made the unorthodox decision (but necessary) to dress 7 defensemen.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
I don't think the NHL wants Quennvilles first job back to be with the Maple Leafs. I don't think the Maple Leafs ownership want it either.
Frankly, Q may have been the best coaching fit for this team, but your right - neither the NHL or Leafs FO (most likely) don’t want him. Nor should they.

Reactions: Antropovsky

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
For those that don't like this hire, who would you rather the Leafs did hire?

Personally, I think that Berube would've been great for the Sabres, rather than the Leafs.

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
Should have gone with Gallant or even Guy Boucher IMO. They need an immediate 180° in chemistry and execution for quick results in the next season or two more than they need a stable 'head coach' 5 years from now.

Babcock 2.0

As a Leafs hater, they should've went with the guy who made them go 1-21 on the powerplay during playoffs, you're right.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Wasn't his team though. Dude took a Sens team that was basically a 1 legged Erik Karlsson and Clarke MacArthur to the Conferance Finals and a goal from the Stanley Cup Finals. He had similar results in Tampa before hand.

My point being that the Leafs would do better with a 'swing for the fences' type coach on a cheap 1-3 year contract rather than trying to 'implement' a new 'culture' or 'identity' with a 'Berube type on a 5-8 year contract when most of your core is aging out or gone off to new places.
Boucher is as far from swing for the fences as it gets.

He tries to neutralize the skill on both sides as a head coach.

Reactions: luiginb

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Frankly, Q may have been the best coaching fit for this team, but your right - neither the NHL or Leafs FO (most likely) don’t want him. Nor should they.

That's if he's ever allowed back. l don't think he should, but you never know with Gary.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The Blues issues in the regular and post-season from 2020-on haven’t really been related to coaching.

He put on a coaching clinic for the WCF vs SJ in 2019 as well as vs Boston. The team could have folded after the hand pass but didn’t.

Additionally, he flat out-coached Evason in 2022 the first round vs Minnesota and made the unorthodox decision (but necessary) to dress 7 defensemen.
Yeah Berube is surprisingly cerebral behind the bench. Most think he’s just an old school ball-buster but he’s a good coach.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
There’s no way Marner remains

He’s the exact type of player Berube hates

Same with Tavares but he’s just gonna walk
Marner was coached by Hunter in junior and had some great years under Babcock even tho he's a horrible person. Marner wasn't always soft, he used to play with grit, I think it's still in there. I'd hate to give up on him one season too early.

Reactions: luiginb and Voight

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Easier said than done
Tavares and Marner are both entering the final year of their current contracts. The speculation is that Marner will be asked to waive his no trade clause this off season to explore potential trades.

I don't envision both players remaining with the team beyond next season. Maybe Tavares could stay as a depth player if he is willing to take a massive paycut.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Marner was coached by Hunter in junior and had some great years under Babcock even tho he's a horrible person. Marner wasn't always soft, he used to play with grit, I think it's still in there. I'd hate to give up on him one season too early.
Instead you tread him one season too late, best time was after 2021, second best time was 2023

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
Matthews is 26 and has an extension
Nylander is 28 and has an extension
There is no way that is the hairline of a 26 year old.

EyfkPw8.png

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Does he play goalie? Does he play with any passion? Does he play defense?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Wasn't his team though. Dude took a Sens team that was basically a 1 legged Erik Karlsson and Clarke MacArthur to the Conferance Finals and a goal from the Stanley Cup Finals. He had similar results in Tampa before hand.

My point being that the Leafs would do better with a 'swing for the fences' type coach on a cheap 1-3 year contract rather than trying to 'implement' a new 'culture' or 'identity' with a 'Berube type on a 5-8 year contract when most of your core is aging out or gone off to new places.
I'm not arguing Boucher's results but the man will have you dump and chase with 1 player on 5 and half the time you don't even chase. Dude thinks he's a genius every time he clogs up center ice worse than a toilet on burrito night

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad