Maple Leafs hire Craig Berube as head coach

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
no, he won a cup a few years ago on the back of a goalie coming from nowhere, he's a cup winning coach thats available so leaf media is blowing him up to be some great.

Also what does far down the road mean? To me it means not close.
Care to explain why you think he isn’t great?

The Blues still had a 100+ point season with him in 2021-2022. And the team as a whole played well when Binnington other worldly to mortal in 2018-2019. He also deserves a lot of credit for player development from guys who played under him in the AHL.

It’ll be interesting to see how he does in Toronto. He didn’t deserve to be fired in St. Louis, but it was time for a change as his message grew stale.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Well, he will shake things up for sure, unless they want to keep him on a leash for 'reasons'. As long as that reason isn't Marner's security... (which shouldn't be a problem for Berube)

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Old dogs, new tricks my man. If you think your core group of players are ready and willing to change their game at this point in their careers than best of luck to ya.

I say squeeze as much out of what you already have in the next couple of years and hope for the best. Easier and quicker to retool this roster if you have to.

That's just my general philosophy btw. Not even hating on the Leafs here.
I don't think Nylander or Matthews need to change their game. Marner badly does, whether it's in Toronto or somewhere else, most of us don't want him back. But yeah I disagree with the idea that Nylander and Matthews are the problem.

Re-tool around them, Rielly isn't bad at 7.5M, he's not a #1D but a fine #2.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Friedman has fell off so bad in the last 5 or 6 years.
I think it's because he's become obsessed with being first rather than most accurate, so he'll mention tidbits he's heard to get it out first, but throw in qualifiers in case the information ends up being wrong.

Ex: "The Leafs are in talks with a couple of teams to trade John Tavares and it appears a deal could be done, but it depends on a couple of factors before it's complete"

Translation: he's right if Tavares gets dealt and he's right if he doesn't get dealt.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
As a Blues fan, I’ll give my opinion of Chief.

He’s a good coach. Didn’t deserve to be fired but he’s also a much better coach for a good team that needs to take a step to the next level than a rebuilding team so I can see why the Blues changed directions.

He’s a very good motivator. Doesn’t mince words. Gives it to you straight. Isn’t a rah rah pat you on the back players coach but he’s also fair and while he can be brutally honest, he isn’t mean about it.

As stated above, he could really use a good Xs and Os assistant. The Blues were noticeably a mess when Jim Montgomery left to take the Bruins job. He’s not bad at it but he’s more the big picture guy so needs others to be the details guys.

If I’m being honest, I don’t think he’s a great fit for the TML. I think he’d be a fine coach there but his brutal honesty in press conferences is bound to get way overblown by the Toronto media on numerous occasions. But then again, he will not give a flying F about it so maybe he’ll be fine as long as any verbal faux pas (perceived, real or otherwise) doesn’t impact the players.

If I was him, I would’ve pursued the NJ job instead but then again, the Leafs can absolutely back up a Brinks truck to his house and that’s hard to turn down.
Thank you for the honest assessment.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Well I officially want it known that I wanted Quennville

But I guess I’m a Craig Berube fan now

Cup or bust, fellow leaf fans (I know all of you love and follow everything maple leaf)

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Care to explain why you think he isn’t great?

The Blues still had a 100+ point season with him in 2021-2022. And the team as a whole played well when Binnington other worldly to mortal in 2018-2019. He also deserves a lot of credit for player development from guys who played under him in the AHL.

It’ll be interesting to see how he does in Toronto. He didn’t deserve to be fired in St. Louis, but it was time for a change as his message grew stale.
The Leafs have averaged like 105 points/season for the last 7 or 8 years. Him having a 100 point season isn't really a selling point.

I'm not really holding my breath that he's the guy to suddenly turn things around for the Leafs.

Reactions: BHD

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Berube was a great coach when the Blues had a big, physical 2-way team. For some reason, the Blues got away that style after they won the cup and Berube struggled the past couple years.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Well I officially want it known that I wanted Quennville

But I guess I’m a Craig Berube fan now

Cup or bust, fellow leaf fans (I know all of you love and follow everything maple leaf)
I don't think the NHL wants Quennvilles first job back to be with the Maple Leafs. I don't think the Maple Leafs ownership want it either.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I don't think the NHL wants Quennvilles first job back to be with the Maple Leafs. I don't think the Maple Leafs ownership want it either.

What the Leafs should want is the best coach they can put behind the bench

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Does this mean the end of Michey Mouse in TO? Berube seems to be a little too tough for some of that "core".
I doubt the coach will have any impact on Marner's decision to waive. Or at least it shouldn't have. He's public enemy #1 still.

This is akin to installing a new water well because your septic tank/field collapsed.
Enjoy the continued shit problems.
Who's to say they won't make other changes? Usually trades happen in the offseason you know, not during the playoffs.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

LaCarriere

The Leafs have averaged like 105 points/season for the last 7 or 8 years. Him having a 100 point season isn't really a selling point.

I'm not really holding my breath that he's the guy to suddenly turn things around for the Leafs.
We're in year 10 of the Shanaplan, on the 5th head coach during that time, and 4th GM.

It seems every GM/coach comes with the fans claiming this time it will be different, this is the guy to get the job done, and 2 years later they are public enemy number 1 ans run out of town by fans with pitchforks.

I think at some point you just have to accept that the roster is fundamentally flawed, and no amount of gm/coaches/front office shuffling is going going to be the difference between another first round exit and winning 4 rounds in a row.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Honestly this seems like a good choice for the Leafs. Berube is more of a hard-ass coach that I think the Leafs need at this point, he's a strong motivator and I think that's what the Leafs need at this point. I don't know that he's a great tactician, but with the talent the Leafs have, I think they need a hard-ass coach at this point.
They need someone not afraid to throw Rielly or any of the lazy floaters they have at forward in the press box whenever they refuse to even attempt to play like NHLers in their own zone. Hopefully management tells them to pound sand when they try to get him fired for holding them accountable for their laziness.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad