Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Guelph expected to be a top contender. The team did have some hard luck with coach stepping down, Poitras sticking with the Bruins, and injury at D, but Burnett added pieces in season. He is probably disappointed with a 6th place finish and feels coaching was not good enough.

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
Guelph expected to be a top contender. The team did have some hard luck with coach stepping down, Poitras sticking with the Bruins, and injury at D, but Burnett added pieces in season. He is probably disappointed with a 6th place finish and feels coaching was not good enough.
Top contender is a stretch.
Guelph finished in 6th place in 2022-2023 with 35-28-4-1
Guelph finished in 6th place in 2023-2024 with 33-28-6-1

D-man needed surgery in the off-season which they knew about and yes Poitras was probably a surprise.

Guelph is another team where almost the entire roster is a - in plus/minus category. The 2 trade pieces GB added weren't nearly as strong as what the Fronts picked up.

The point I'm trying to make is .500 hockey doesn't cut it unless your team is in rebuild mode

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Top contender with the expected return of Poitras was pretty much a given. Even with some hard luck, a 6th in conference finish could be considered as disappointing as the finish for Sudbury.

Reactions: StormWatcher

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
1714673486294.png

Dev camp roster - no Malhotra unfortunately as expected.

All the other 2024 picks are there.

2023 picks -
No Weir (still in GOJHL playoffs)
No Kieren Dervin (5th - committed to Penn State)
No Kevin Perreault (8th - committed to Dartmouth)
No Matthew Manza (9th - committed to Ohio State)

All 3 U18 picks from this year are there, and their first round U18 pick last year is also there.

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
View attachment 863639

Dev camp roster - no Malhotra unfortunately as expected.

All the other 2024 picks are there.

2023 picks -
No Weir (still in GOJHL playoffs)
No Kieren Dervin (5th - committed to Penn State)
No Kevin Perreault (8th - committed to Dartmouth)
No Matthew Manza (9th - committed to Ohio State)

All 3 U18 picks from this year are there, and their first round U18 pick last year is also there.
really like that Hopkins is going. kid seems very determined. I’m sure he had the option of skipping this like everyone else.

I think he’s going to tear this up. Going to be interesting seeing Schmidt and velliaris there too

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I was looking back at Kingston's orientation camp roster last year and I forgot that Manza was there last year. I don't know if he ever truly considered signing with Kingston but he led his team in scoring (second is actually a Fronts' '06 pick as well - Luciano Bruno, committed to Clarkson) and the OJHL in rookie scoring last year at an even PPG.

Ohio State isn't necessarily a power house so maybe there's an off-chance they can get him here?

Does anyone remember if Manza was one of those guys that fell last year because of NCAA aspirations? I'm assuming he was considering he was top 12 in GTHL scoring in his draft year which doesn't exactly fit your typical 9th rounder.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I was looking back at Kingston's orientation camp roster last year and I forgot that Manza was there last year. I don't know if he ever truly considered signing with Kingston but he led his team in scoring (second is actually a Fronts' '06 pick as well - Luciano Bruno, committed to Clarkson) and the OJHL in rookie scoring last year at an even PPG.

Ohio State isn't necessarily a power house so maybe there's an off-chance they can get him here?

Does anyone remember if Manza was one of those guys that fell last year because of NCAA aspirations? I'm assuming he was considering he was top 12 in GTHL scoring in his draft year which doesn't exactly fit your typical 9th rounder.
If he was that high up in the gthl he definitely had prior commitments to the draft.

That’s interesting he actually came to the camp though as people who have no intention(malholtra) don’t usually come.

Maybe he has thought about this.

But since he’s not at the one this year I think it’s safe to say that ship has sailed. Perhaps a missed opportunity by fronts management

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Malhotra and Nyman are testing the BCHL waters. Let's face it: neither would have gotten massive minutes in the OHL.

They can play a year of BCHL to see how it feels and what the recognition is like, and then, if they want, they can come back to the OHL or see what the offers are like from the USHL or NCAA

I am not sure what the rules would be on either one.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Malhotra and Nyman are testing the BCHL waters. Let's face it: neither would have gotten massive minutes in the OHL.

They can play a year of BCHL to see how it feels and what the recognition is like, and then, if they want, they can come back to the OHL or see what the offers are like from the USHL or NCAA

I am not sure what the rules would be on either one.
Nyman was in talks all season long as the best d man in the draft.

He would have got top 4 minutes at the very least.

Malholtra I’m not sure. Don’t know much about him really other than how cooper thinks he was the best guy in the draft and he is manny malholtras kid lol.

But on kingston he prob wouldn’t get higher than the 3rd line as we’re pretty too heavy for next year in the top 6.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Nyman was in talks all season long as the best d man in the draft.

He would have got top 4 minutes at the very least.

Malholtra I’m not sure. Don’t know much about him really other than how cooper thinks he was the best guy in the draft and he is manny malholtras kid lol.

But on kingston he prob wouldn’t get higher than the 3rd line as we’re pretty too heavy for next year in the top 6.
i have to be honest i really struggle with nyman being a top d. hes an offensive guy with no points. he was 4/5th on his team in DEFENCE scoring, not just scoring. that would scare the hell out of me.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Congrats to Mason Vaccari!

i have to be honest i really struggle with nyman being a top d. hes an offensive guy with no points. he was 4/5th on his team in DEFENCE scoring, not just scoring. that would scare the hell out of me.
Who was your top 3d men in the draft? Did Nyman make that list?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Glad he committed. I think they’ll wait until training camp before deciding on Betts. Then obviously malholtra would be right away but he’s probably not coming.

Really hope they pick a younger guy in the import draft. Someone here maybe 2 or even 3 years and can have an impact

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Just looking at the lineup to start next season and wondering where the diference it going to be other than some of the young guys will be a year older.

I think Kooper has to hit it out of the park on his 2 Euro draft icks and that they both have to start the season in Kingston to make any diference

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Glad he committed. I think they’ll wait until training camp before deciding on Betts. Then obviously malholtra would be right away but he’s probably not coming.

Really hope they pick a younger guy in the import draft. Someone here maybe 2 or even 3 years and can have an impact
if its a go for it year, you kind of need impact guys dont you?

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
If they want to make two import picks, when would Kingston need to make a decision on Chromiak? Can they make two picks at the draft and then release Chromiak or is there some kind of deadline before the draft?

The one guy I would absolutely love for the Fronts to go after is Stian Solberg, big Danish D but it looks like he's committed to the SHL next year (he was drafted by Regina last year but it looks like they have two other unsigned imports so he must've been released).

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
They would have to release him before the draft. There are some exceptions (I believe first round NHL picks and signed NHL players and OA players are exceptions) but I don't think Chromiak qualifies for any exception.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
They would have to release him before the draft. There are some exceptions (I believe first round NHL picks and signed NHL players and OA players are exceptions) but I don't think Chromiak qualifies for any exception.
correct

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024

The signing at training camp estimate didn't age very well.
This is exactly what I thought the GM would do
1715268979877.png

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I'd actually rather Betts get starting minutes in the Jr A or Jr B this year instead of being a back-up with the Fronts - from what I around draft time was that he missed almost the entire season last year due to injury so the more minutes he can get the better.

Then they can either run it back with Vaccari/Salajko or try and grab a goalie in the import draft if they think they need an upgrade on Vaccari.

I wonder if any of the other '07s made a good enough impression to get signed or if any other signings will wait until after the June trade window/import draft

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
You do. But they may trade him away if he is unhappy only playing the third line, if he even comes here.

they can use these picks for upgrades on spots on defence or trading for a big name first liner which would push 2 players down a line creating more depth within the top 9

I’d love him to come here but unless he is an impact first liner right away putting up the points like Jake obrien on brantford last year- I don’t think he will be here past the deadline, again, if he comes.

The signing at training camp estimate didn't age very well.
This is exactly what I thought the GM would do
View attachment 867767
That was the rookie camp- I didn’t go but he must’ve looked really good if they’re confident giving him the contract already. Good for him. I know they usually do it for forwards and defence but I don’t remember the last 16 year old goalie the fronts had on their roster. Been quite a while I believe.

Wonder what is going through salajkos mind right now. The competition between those two over who is going to back up vaccari should be very important for their development though.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I'd actually rather Betts get starting minutes in the Jr A or Jr B this year instead of being a back-up with the Fronts - from what I around draft time was that he missed almost the entire season last year due to injury so the more minutes he can get the better.

Then they can either run it back with Vaccari/Salajko or try and grab a goalie in the import draft if they think they need an upgrade on Vaccari.

I wonder if any of the other '07s made a good enough impression to get signed or if any other signings will wait until after the June trade window/import draft
I think that would be good for him. But if they gave him it already, perhaps they believe he can step in and hold his own right away.

Can’t wait to compare him and salajko at the main camp.

seems this trade from Sudbury has really backfired.

I wonder if fronts release him and he gets picked up by someone else similar to zhugin with Guelph and Saginaw this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad