Dreger: Jets likely to buyout Blake Wheeler

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
He’s eligible for a 35+ bonus contract. If a free agent, a contender can leverage the 24-25 cap spike in 23-24 via an easily obtainable performance bonus. There’s greater flexibility, even if the number ends up being the same.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Yes, and this thread hasn't added anything. I was expecting a confirmation or pre-confirmation, not just another reporter's insight
thanks. I thought maybe I had fell through a time travel hole or something

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Wouldn’t say he ran out of answers. Ladd was contract greedy so the Jets passed and thank God they did. Ladd was a disaster post-Wimnipeg.
In post-game interviews in the last year of Ladd’s tenure, he answered a lot of accountability-related questions with “I don’t know…” and just looked lost. Wheeler stepped in for him and gave the captain responses, and it was pretty clear that the media would run through him afterwards. He took that bullet.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Given that Hayes and RyJo probably have more left in the tank than Wheeler and we’re essentially given away at 50%, not being able to move off Wheeler and just wanting to buy him out should surprise exactly nobody at this point.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Lol if u say so
Laine asked for a trade, so you do they best you can. Rarely do you "win" in a deal. Same story with PLD, guy wants out and asks for a trade, hard to "win" a trade again. I think all things considered WPG make out quite well just getting Vilardi alone.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I've seen the Canadian media label guys as cancers and put all the blame on them before. I'd take Wheeler on the Leafs for 2M or less

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
So no takers even at 50%
It sounded like there was interest (perhaps willingness to give up a small asset too), but not enough to make someone jump the queue. Understandable, I think, as the Jets were massively on the clock here.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Wheeler with a 5 team trade list. Easy to force a buyout then he can go sign a 1 year cheap deal with wherever he wants without forcing them to give up assets. He will get 5.5 million from the buyout so he just needs 2.75 million to make up the difference or sign for more and come out ahead.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
losing Dubois and Wheeler will be a net benefit for the Jets. That locker room has been in shambles for ages. Could be a threat next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad