Value of: Hronek's RFA Rights

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This all depends on what his contract ask is. Rumour is he wants to be overpaid, so it might be a "take what you can get, or let him sit without a contract until his ask becomes more realistic" scenario. Right now, he's a complimentary skilled RD best suited for the 2nd pair unless he's playing with a superstar, but rumour is he wants top pair money.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
He isn't a top pair RD. He's a good compliment to Hughes. Good to see Canucks fans are seeing that. All it took was needing to put their hypothetical money where their mouth is.

Wings fans told them it would just take time.

He's a decent 2nd pair offensive defenseman. He's probably appreciated in value but with less team control. The Canucks can get their 1st back.
I judge a players worth purely on ice time. By that metric he's a 1st pair Dman.

Agree or disagree that's just the way it is.

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
Contract demands must be nuts if they are looking at keeping Zadarov instead.
Zadorov is the higher impact player, full stop. Hronek is more easily replaceable. I've been saying it and heard repeatedly about how Z was just "Gudbranson 2.0."

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Would be an interesting fit on a few teams but I think Ottawa, Buffalo and Columbus would lead the pack. Could make a strong case for Utah as well.

Chainshot mentioned Buffalo prior to Byram, but I could see them maybe prioritizing sacrificing Power or Samuelsson in a seperate deal for a PF or C. Dahlin, Byram, Samuelsson is very strong on the left.

Columbus needs to compete next season. Very deep on the left side.

Utah has no D at all. Ottawa need to pivot from LD to RD.

All of those teams have incentive to invest.

I think the Toews deal ($7.25 x 8) is probably what he considers his market value.

It's a strong comparable.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Would be an interesting fit on a few teams but I think Ottawa, Buffalo and Columbus would lead the pack. Could make a strong case for Utah as well.

Regardless of who the new GM is, I would be shocked if Columbus was more than passingly interested. He'll be pricy and there's only so much cap to go around. They're still five deep in bodies on the right including Severson who was brought in just last summer on a huge deal and a disgruntled top prospect who even if he wasn't ready this season, will be within a year. No reason to go long term on another expensive deal for a defenseman at this point in the rebuild, especially when you've already got Werenski at 9.6 and Severson at 6.5. They've also got six or seven RFA forwards to lock in, and a goalie situation to deal with.

Gotta think Ottawa and Utah will be interested, though.

Reactions: redwings25

VanOriginal

Jun 15, 2019
Hronek will have value to most teams. He is a good DMan a 2/3 on all teams. If the Canucks want to move him they will get a decent package ie 1st somewhere 20 to 32, plus OK player/ prospect or 2 2nds and mediocre player/prospect. I don't see Buffalo as an option withy big 3 D that they have, they won't spend that much on D. I could see Ottawa interested especially if they move Chychrun in a deal 1st. Utah would be interested as they don't have many D signed for next year. Philly could be interested depending on how Danny feels about the team and moves Risto either in this deal or separate deal

Reactions: Holden Caufield

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
He never got much of an opportunity to carry a D pairing here. He played mostly with Quinn. I’m ok bringing him back but the price has to be right. He isn’t a role player.

Lawson Crouse for Hronek?
Id do Hronek + Mikheyev for Crouse (Van might need to add a later pick depending if Salt Lake sees any value in Mikheyev or not).

Mik is a solid veteran player, just overpaid, which Salt Lake could absorb without any issue with the new owner + cap space.

Crouse could potentially line up next to Pettersson and Hoglander next year and has a solid contract.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
The thing is, who’s gonna give anything up in a trade, even for that one year, for what he offers, vs the dollars spent? Teams will just go sign a Gostisbehere for $4 million.

For example, teams are gonna be all over Shea Theodore, even if it’s just for next year, because he can carry anyone’s second pairing 20 minutes a night. Hronek doesn’t offer that. So when your talking dollars vs what the player offers a team, teams just can’t justify giving up anything for him because of the price tag. They’d have to be pretty desperate.

At best, the market would be very thin, and when that happens, players just aren’t worth very much to other teams via trade. They know why you’re moving him.

I think reality is gonna finally set in with Hronek and his agent, and he’ll end up signing a much more reasonable contract. At least you’d hope.

It’s gonna be one of the most interesting contracts to watch unfold. I just hope the Canucks don’t give in. I think it would be a major mistake they’d have to live with for years.
If your Hronek replacement is Ghost as a player comparison - I don't think that there is any legitimate basis for a discussion. Hronek might not be carrying a pair, but he's a legit top pairing option (IMO) on a team that made the 2nd round of the play-off's. Ghost is a fundamentally flawed NHL player who can put up offensive numbers on bad/marginal teams.

Reactions: gianni

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
He never got much of an opportunity to carry a D pairing here. He played mostly with Quinn. I’m ok bringing him back but the price has to be right. He isn’t a role player.

Lawson Crouse for Hronek?
I love Crouse, but I value Hronek more than Crouse (because of positional need and the RHD premium, no doubt). We might have to add some pieces to balance everything out for our end, but as I said...I like Crouse.
mike matheson and a second
I'm good. I know others like Matheson more than I do though, and we'd need RHD back. We have Zadorov and Cole available that have been great for us on the left side as UFAs, and Hughes and Soucy locked in for a few more years each, so a leftie isn't something we should want or need.

Reactions: gianni

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020

Chainshot mentioned Buffalo prior to Byram, but I could see them maybe prioritizing sacrificing Power or Samuelsson in a seperate deal for a PF or C. Dahlin, Byram, Samuelsson is very strong on the left.

Utah has no D at all. Ottawa need to pivot from LD to RD.

All of those teams have incentive to invest.
If we could sign and trade him, I'd hope it'd go for something around
- OTT: Zub + Greig (top pair but lesser RD, and a skilled pesky forward)
- CBJ: Voronkov + Severson (young PF and a lesser RD to make cap work)

IMO for a hockey trade it should be a lesser but reliable replacement on the back end, and skilled size and grit up front

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Do you want Chychrun?

Jakob Chychrun's not really a fit, and the Canucks would want more value than that since rhd are hard to come by.

I do think Filip Hronek would be an awesome fit for the Sens though:
Jake Sanderson-Filip Hronek
Thomas Chabot-Artem Zub

Add a good goalie to that d-core, and that's likely a playoff team.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Who would add and how much in a Hronek Mikheyev (20% retained) for Borgen Bjorkstrand swap? Seattle's taking on approx $2.0 million in cap and gets the best player in the deal. Vancouver opens up around $2 million in cap but is on the hook for an extra year of salary retention in 25/26 ($0.95m cap hit). They downgrade Hronek to one year of a cheap cap hit Borgen before UFA, but upgrade 2 years of Mikheyev to 2 years of a legit top 6 winger. They now have money to pursue extending Joshua and/or Zadorov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad