Hart Trophy Tournament (Post 2000's) Round 1: 2002 Theodore vs 2015 Price

Which Hart Trophy Winner had the better season?

• Total voters

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
MATCHUP #2: Jose Theodore (2002) vs Carey Price (2015)

Jose Theodore (2001-02):

67 GP 30 Wins 2.11 GAA .931 Sv% 7 Shutouts | 1st in GSAA (46), 1st in Sv%, Vezina Trophy, 2nd AST,

Carey Price (2014-15):
66 GP 44 Wins 1.96 GAA .933 Sv% 9 Shutouts | 1st in GSAA (37), 1st in Sv%, Vezina Trophy, Ted Lindsay Trophy, Jennings Trophy, 1st AST

Round 1 Matchups:
Sakic 01
vs Crosby 14 Thread
Theodore 02 vs Price 15
Forsberg 03 vs Kane 16
St. Louis 04 vs Kucherov 19
Thornton 06 vs Hall 18
Crosby 07 vs McDavid 17
Ovechkin 08 vs Matthews 22
Ovechkin 09 vs Malkin 12
Sedin 10 vs Draisaitl 20
Perry 11 vs McDavid 21
Ovechkin 13 vs McDavid 23

I've decided to change some of the matchups so the 1st round isn't too top-heavy. There should still be some interesting faceoffs but I wanna make sure the tourney doesn't lose too much steam in Round 2.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So I'm a Habs fan and I followed both seasons very closely.

Carey Price had the better overall season I think, so I voted for him. That being said - Theodore was absolutely insane down the stretch. He just kept getting better and better as Habs were making an unlikely run towards the playoffs. If you look up his save% from Jan 1st on, it's 931....from Feb 1st on, it climbs to 938...from March 1st on you're at like 946 or so. He seemed completely unbeatable down the stretch.

The two best goaltending seasons we've seen this century.

For whatever reason - Jose Theodore rarely gets a lot of respect, so I'm sure Carey Price will win this in a landslide. I did vote for Price too - but I think it's close.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
I was not around to follow Theodore's season.
Purely looking at stats:

Theodore had a .931 sv% while the league sv% was .905
Price had a .933 sv% while the league sv% was was .911

3864 minutes played for Theodore vs 3977 minutes played for Price (2 more games for Price).

It does seem like Theodore was better compared to his peers, but Price had a better record. I don't know much about the 2002 canadiens, but I assume that the 2015 team was better outside of the goalies.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
So I'm a Habs fan and I followed both seasons very closely.

Carey Price had the better overall season I think, so I voted for him. That being said - Theodore was absolutely insane down the stretch. He just kept getting better and better as Habs were making an unlikely run towards the playoffs. If you look up his save% from Jan 1st on, it's 931....from Feb 1st on, it climbs to 938...from March 1st on you're at like 946 or so. He seemed completely unbeatable down the stretch.

The two best goaltending seasons we've seen this century.

For whatever reason - Jose Theodore rarely gets a lot of respect, so I'm sure Carey Price will win this in a landslide. I did vote for Price too - but I think it's close.

I think Theodore is basically written off as a fluke/one-year wonder. Obviously Price is regarded more highly in general.

I'm sure many don't realize exactly how good Theodore was in 2002. You constantly hear about how Iginla was robbed, but Theodore wasn't a bad winner at all.

Reactions: Felidae

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I was not around to follow Theodore's season.
Purely looking at stats:

Theodore had a .931 sv% while the league sv% was .905
Price had a .933 sv% while the league sv% was was .911

3864 minutes played for Theodore vs 3977 minutes played for Price (2 more games for Price).

It does seem like Theodore was better compared to his peers, but Price had a better record. I don't know much about the 2002 canadiens, but I assume that the 2015 team was better outside of the goalies.

I'd say the 2014 Montreal lineup was definitely better overall, but not by much really. Though if I had to choose for one season, I'd take Theodore's 2002 season. I remember that season like it was yesterday, and he was lights out.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Theodore’s SV% was better relative to the league but visually I felt like Price’s year was stronger. And with goalies I can’t help but feel like repeatability needs to be taken into account. With Price, his play in the back half of 13-14, the Olympics, this year then the start of 15-16 suggest that this was more just his level of play than a random one off season, while Theodore’s stands out among his surrounding years, even if he had another good year two years later.

Also, Price’s ES SV% stands out compared to his peers. Theodore’s doesn’t (and in fact was behind Roy and worse than his ES SV% in 03-04), and his overall SV% is so high largely due to an unusually high SV% on the PP (.915 when he only had one more over .882), and the Canadiens being one of the least penalized teams in the league. Obviously Theodore deserves credit for his high PP SV%, but going back to the idea of repeatability, it feels like this is more the result of variance. And despite the league averaging roughly 80 more PPs per team in ‘02, those Habs only had 20 more than Price’s team, meaning relative to the league Price faced a lot more PP opportunities.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad