Former Canucks Thread 2023-24 Edition

lawrence

May 19, 2012

A terrific assistant coach on one of the best Canucks teams we’ve ever had (if not the best), and by all accounts, a very nice man. All the best to Bones on his retirement.

I’m very sad he’s retiring. I feel the nhl owns him and av a cup ring. I hope he has a happy retirement.

Reactions: mossey3535

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Bowness retiring after this year is a great time for him to step away. He's the oldest coach in the league, goes out with his best regular season, spent two season building the Jets up as a strong franchise, has changed the narrative on his coaching career after being the Senators' first coach, can focus on looking after his wife, and gets a Jack Adams nomination. Fantastic guy.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

A terrific assistant coach on one of the best Canucks teams we’ve ever had (if not the best), and by all accounts, a very nice man. All the best to Bones on his retirement.

Will always remember him as a quality person and a big part of the Canucks' success around the 2010's. He was very underrated in the role he played here.

Happy retirement Bones.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Beauvillier Schenn and Scissons were clearly undercover agents for us in round 1, wonder if Stecher can be that guy for us in round 2 :nod:

Stecher and Kane. Kane gets to play the villain in Edmonton some more.

Reactions: M2Beezy

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Not sure if this was the right spot or not or if anyone has asked but what are the X’s and O’s of Green’s offense , defensive zone coverages?

Those are important aspects to me.

Thanks fellas

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Not sure if this was the right spot or not or if anyone has asked but what are the X’s and O’s of Green’s offense , defensive zone coverages?

Thanks fellas

I'll let others get into it but it's not pretty. While he understand the basics of coaching his teaching and implementation has been extremely poor. Can't balance offensive aggression with defensive responsibility so the teams end up taking a lead then give up possession while relying on goaltending to bail them out. No real system to speak of and if there is, he's not capable of effectively communicating it. His main positive trait is he's very endearing to the media. Canucks media still love the guy and talk glowingly about him despite all the evidence pointing to him just not being a good coach.

@MS can go into greater detail.

Reactions: DJB

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Guess Darcy settled down in AZ after finishing out his NHL career. Kid was born Feb 2009, so was here til 2010, then FLA for 1 year then Edm for a year with a final year in OKC (AHL team) in 2013.

If he's going 1st in the US draft, is he not looking at USHL or NCAA route?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Guess Darcy settled down in AZ after finishing out his NHL career. Kid was born Feb 2009, so was here til 2010, then FLA for 1 year then Edm for a year with a final year in OKC (AHL team) in 2013.

If he's going 1st in the US draft, is he not looking at USHL or NCAA route?

The US draft?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Thanks fellas

I watched Green coach for 10 years between the AHL and NHL and I really don't know what he was trying to do.

Really conservative forecheck ... but somehow still bled neutral zone space and odd-man rushes.

There was talk that Green wanted to limit quality chances at the expense of allowing a ton of shots ... but we were consistently allowing amongst the most high-danger chances in the league, while also getting killed in the Corsi battle.

Breakouts were consistently terrible. One poster here still loses his mind over how their 'breakout' appeared to just be to have the two wingers standing still against the boards in the neutral zone and defenders threw the pucks at them to tip into the opposing zone with no speed and concede possession.

In both Utica and Vancouver the only success he ever had was when he had a goalie performing at an elite level (Markstrom, Demko) and they were able to ride that goalie while getting outplayed.

Loves his veterans and grinders and will never put rookies in positions to succeed or positions of responsibility. Veteran players seemed to like him but pretty much every young player he came in contact with saw his career tank as a result.

Awful, awful coach. Ottawa is probably my #2 team so it's gutting to see him go there.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The US draft?
Tweet is that he was the first pick of the US priority draft (they have separate drafts for Americans, Canadians and Europeans? Odd given that they have like 6 US based teams in the W). I'd assume he wouldn't go first if he was thinking going NCAA route, given the use of the pick. But at age 15, guess Regina can always trade him to one of the US based WHL clubs or something later.

Reactions: Vector

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Tweet is that he was the first pick of the US priority draft (they have separate drafts for Americans, Canadians and Europeans? Odd given that they have like 6 US based teams in the W). I'd assume he wouldn't go first if he was thinking going NCAA route, given the use of the pick. But at age 15, guess Regina can always trade him to one of the US based WHL clubs or something later.

Works a bit different in the whl. Not many Americans commit to the whl, so teams own the rights to sign them. Case in point, celebrini was selected 1st overall in 2021 by the t-birds and he never signed.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Works a bit different in the whl. Not many Americans commit to the whl, so teams own the rights to sign them. Case in point, celebrini was selected 1st overall in 2021 by the t-birds and he never signed.
I figured since they have us and CAD teams that they don’t split the Americans and Canadians. I knew about the import draft.

For cellibrini he’s that good you take the chance. Wow, kid was born June 2006 and attended BU before he turned 18. Got his schooling done early. Figured he was a post sept 15 bday since he’s a FR. Guess like Toews he finishes HS early.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I figured since they have us and CAD teams that they don’t split the Americans and Canadians. I knew about the import draft.

For cellibrini he’s that good you take the chance. Wow, kid was born June 2006 and attended BU before he turned 18. Got his schooling done early. Figured he was a post sept 15 bday since he’s a FR. Guess like Toews he finishes HS early.

It's easier to separate the drafts that way, and most Americans don't commit but a few do.

The ohl doesn't separate.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I watched Green coach for 10 years between the AHL and NHL and I really don't know what he was trying to do.

Really conservative forecheck ... but somehow still bled neutral zone space and odd-man rushes.

There was talk that Green wanted to limit quality chances at the expense of allowing a ton of shots ... but we were consistently allowing amongst the most high-danger chances in the league, while also getting killed in the Corsi battle.

Breakouts were consistently terrible. One poster here still loses his mind over how their 'breakout' appeared to just be to have the two wingers standing still against the boards in the neutral zone and defenders threw the pucks at them to tip into the opposing zone with no speed and concede possession.

In both Utica and Vancouver the only success he ever had was when he had a goalie performing at an elite level (Markstrom, Demko) and they were able to ride that goalie while getting outplayed.

Loves his veterans and grinders and will never put rookies in positions to succeed or positions of responsibility. Veteran players seemed to like him but pretty much every young player he came in contact with saw his career tank as a result.

Awful, awful coach. Ottawa is probably my #2 team so it's gutting to see him go there.

This has me deeply concerned.

I appreciate the insight

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad