f*** you Freddie Anderson

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
When managment signed Anderson it kinda came across to me as settling for less... leafs fans told us he didnt play well in big games.. but thats all we had. Team should have stepped up and gotten a stud, instead of this dud.....
Realistically who was available who would’ve been better? Lots of good teams struggling to find goaltending right now.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Realistically who was available who would’ve been better? Lots of good teams struggling to find goaltending right now.
Yep, the goalie market like the center market has been bad for a while.

Calgary gave markstrom an extra year
Boston jumped on Ullmark early but has been bad in the playoffs.

If we knew Ingram only needed OCD help we could have claimed him

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So, anyone else continuously read the title in Eminem's voice?

1715987821330.png

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yet here we are with the same talking points and dismissing context because it doesn’t fit you
It's never 1 thing that costs a team a series. If Freddie hadn't of let in 3 soft goals, the Canes would at a minimum, been on to game 7 if not won the series. If the PP wasn't a flaming disaster, the Canes would at the minimum, been on to game 7 or won the series. If the Canes PK would have been better, the same applies. If Rod had made better personnel decisions, it's likely the same applies as well.

It's not all on Freddie, because as I stated, there's more to it, but he played a part in it. Igor was better. Igor made more tough saves at critical times. Igor let in less softies. That's not insignificant.

Should have the skaters been better to overcome that? Sure, that's a valid argument, but it doesn't dismiss the fact that goalies were also a difference in this series.

StrmSurge

RBA sucks!
Mar 19, 2019
Walhalla, SC
Kochetkov is already a few country miles ahead of Andersen in every measurable goal-tending skill, what you are you on bro.

He let 2 goals in, (wouldn't call them gummies) in game 3.. suddenly because our offensive scheme was so bad got beat by Rags putting 2 on us, he gets pulled in favor of braindead Fred.

Braindead RBA and Fred , maybe they braid each other's hair off of the ice.

Lest we forget Andersen let another softie in game 4 almost costing us the game .

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Kochetkov is already a few country miles ahead of Andersen in every measurable goal-tending skill, what you are you on bro.

He let 2 goals in, (wouldn't call them gummies) in game 3.. suddenly because our offensive scheme was so bad got beat by Rags putting 2 on us, he gets pulled in favor of braindead Fred.

Braindead RBA and Fred , maybe they braid each other's hair off of the ice.

Lest we forget Andersen let another softie in game 4 almost costing us the game .
I think PK should be our #1. My comment was about when we signed Freddie who would’ve been a better option. But sure be aggressive for no reason.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Andersen did cost them game 6, but if the power play had scored a goal at any point in games 1-3 he wouldn’t have been in that position in the first place. It’s a team sport
Goalies' value are overweight in the later stage playoffs in which the margins between winning and losing are typically tight.

Sure, could we have got more goal production from certain players (59 & 37 I'm looking at you), been better on the PP/PK, etc. but the fact is the team played good enough to win 4 out of the 5 games Freddie played. His "ability" to let in soft goals in each game were decision makers that led to the series loss. Game 6's faux pas was morale killing/deflating to the team and you could see it on the bench/ice prior to the tying/winning goals. Canes were flying all game (with the most open exciting non-dumping in play that I've seen under RBA's leadership) and with competent goaltending they win easily.

IMO, x-Dallas, Canes had the best roster of the top teams (I discount the Rags "were the best" mantra because they were President's trophy winners since their minimal lead in points was "funny money" points, not regulation wins).

I will always remember this series loss as a massive missed opportunity for a team that very likely could have won the Cup.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don’t see how anyone could believe this team was a Cup contender after the first round. Our flaws were obvious then, and they only became more pronounced when we faced the Rangers.

Even if we had somehow pulled it out against the Rangers, Florida could easily handle how we were playing.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I don’t see how anyone could believe this team was a Cup contender after the first round. Our flaws were obvious then, and they only became more pronounced when we faced the Rangers.

Even if we had somehow pulled it out against the Rangers, Florida could easily handle how we were playing.
Nah, I'm sure you realize that Cup winning teams rarely ease through all 4 rounds. There are always series that are tough & showcase warts in one round but disappear in another.

Back in the day, the Oilers almost didn't win their first cup in '84 due to a challenging 7-game Division series with Calgary, then won 8 of the last 9. Islanders in '82 almost lost in a first round, needing a couple of late goals + an OT winner against lowly Pittsburgh but yet won the Cup with 4-0, 4-0 sweeps the last two rounds.

Canes stepped up their game in Round 2 and with Pesce back I'm confident that the PK would have improved too. But, they didn't have Grant Fuhr nor Billy Smith in the net, let alone Adin Hill, Bennington, Murray, Holtby, etc. that are not HOF goalies but were hot at the right time and led their teams to Cups.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

Dang I hope no one believed in Dallas this year after the first round

The difference between us and the islanders 5v5 was marginal. Their special teams was the reason they were bad.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Dang I hope no one believed in Dallas this year after the first round

The difference between us and the islanders 5v5 was marginal. Their special teams was the reason they were bad.

Yes, special teams were the reason they were bad. And it didn't improve in that aspect against the Rangers. What reason did we have to believe it might improve against the Panthers or Dallas or whoever?

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Yes, special teams were the reason they were bad. And it didn't improve in that aspect against the Rangers. What reason did we have to believe it might improve against the Panthers or Dallas or whoever?
I meant the islanders and us were close 5v5 all regular season. The islanders special teams is why there was such a point disparity. In short the series against the islanders was going to be a struggle and not an easy series despite the point disparity.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

When the Canes were up 3-1 in game 6, they were a +4 goal differential against the Presidents Trophy winners. In the end, they were a -1 total GD over the whole series.

Yes, there were flaws. All teams are flawed. But this team had all the chances they needed. It just didn't work out. The difference between these two teams was razor thin, and with a couple of breaks, it could have gone the other way.

That's hockey, baby.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
When the Canes were up 3-1 in game 6, they were a +4 goal differential against the Presidents Trophy winners. In the end, they were a -1 total GD over the whole series.

Yes, there were flaws. All teams are flawed. But this team had all the chances they needed. It just didn't work out. The difference between these two teams was razor thin, and with a couple of breaks, it could have gone the other way.

That's hockey, baby.
Were we +3 or did we end even? We allowed 4 more goals after the 3-1 lead.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It didn’t feel like the right team to win it all, but of course there was a chance. It didn’t feel like the best version of this team, but sometimes you don’t need the best version compared to the right one. Having three defensive minded centers rotating with Kuzy could’ve worked if the special teams were better and we got the saves we needed when we needed them the most.

Still I would’ve been surprised if this was the version of the team to get it done. Ecstatic….but surprised.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
When all of our losses were by one goal (or 2 with an ENG) then yes you absolutely can point to voluntarily splitting up one of the hottest lines in the league and never playing them again as a big reason for or demise
Frankly the bigger roster screwup wasn’t breaking up GAJ for GAS it was never taking Jarvis away from Staal.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Very odd that, while Freddie did not play well, it’s glossed over that PK didn’t play well in his lone game either. The second goal hit the dead center of the net, from the center of the high slot; and the OT goal, while a very skilled play/tip by Panarin, went through a small Kochetkov. That’s PK’s deal - he plays very small when he’s not on his game.

And there is also the issue of him most likely, in a high pressure environment, making a poor decision to come out of his net too aggressively, and costing his team.

Freddie let in a few backbreakers. Full stop. But the ensuing meltdowns weren’t his fault. They’re men. Be men, be mature, lock it down, support your teammates.

This emotional fragility will continue to be the reason I’ll never believe they can do it - until they do it.

And they don’t “have all the pieces.” They have no 2C. And the other team’s 2C was a major factor in let’s say two or three of the six games. That matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad