Player Discussion Evan Bouchard

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Bouchard isn't paying the price in his own end. Way too soft.
He scares Dumbois shitless!

Ekholm has honestly been so good. I'd take him over Hedman.

Because of Heddy's offence and reach idk who is actually better, but current day for this Oilers team I'd take Mattias Ekholm.

What a player he has been. He is an absolute UNIT out there! Completely surpassing expectations.
Real No.1, even in terms of points.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
He is a better all around D than Hedman.

This isn’t Hedman at his peak anymore, it’s clear that people in this thread are still going off his name value.

Bouchard had a better season and playoffs than Hedman
Did you not read my post on what the players themselves said about Hedman?

How can you just throw all that out the window and say Bouchard is a better all around "defenceman" than Heddy.

Bouchard is not better than Hedman nor is he better (this year) than Ekholm.

Would you like me to quote that player poll again?

Playing lots of minutes on a mediocre/injured defense doesn’t mean much.
Dude that isn't even what he said. You are just pulling at straws.

cmon now

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Did you not read my post on what the players themselves said about Hedman?

How can you just throw all that out the window and say Bouchard is a better all around "defenceman" than Heddy.

Bouchard is not better than Hedman nor is he better (this year) than Ekholm.

Would you like me to quote that player poll again?

Dude that isn't even what he said. You are just pulling at straws.

cmon now
You mean one of those polls where 90% of the players vote off of reputation?

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
de significant gains, Bouchard and Skinner. You might add Holloway to the list as he has shown signs of becoming a difference maker. The bottom six will certainly need it in the upcoming rounds.

The goal is having Skinner and Bouchard becoming perennial consistent players during the playoffs like Vasilevskiy and Hedman. Both have many years of proving themselves over and over again until they reach that pinnacle. So what exactly is your beef?

Do not be so determined to make something out of nothing.
As stated, neither are as good as those players in their prime but very very obviously currently better in these playoffs than either... By a considerable margin in both personal and team success.

Isnt Bouchard the highest scoring defenseman over the last two playoff years to date? Now I am not saying he isnt improving defensively and that he obviously needs to, but again Bouchards is not getting his due IMO.

Hedman is great. A superstar Hall of famer but... he didnt hit ppg until he was 30... while playing with a stacked roster on par or better than the Oilers currently sport.

30!!!!

At 24 Bouchard is clearly on another level than Hedman was at the same age. Its not even close. Better defensively (Hedman), I believe so but statistically hardly apparent at the same age and of course a pale shadow of Bouchard offensive greatness.

Arguably Hedman was not as good as Bouchard at the same age and ditto for this season and especially in these playoffs.

Again. Not saying he IS better just that he is arguably better by many many metrics. Too many caught up in the name or... nationality? of the player to clearly see how amazing Bouchard has been to date and how reasonably he could still improve as well.

Reactions: Giggleplex

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
As stated, neither are as good as those players in their prime but very very obviously currently better in these playoffs than either... By a considerable margin in both personal and team success.

Isnt Bouchard the highest scoring defenseman over the last two playoff years to date? Now I am not saying he isnt improving defensively and that he obviously needs to, but again Bouchards is not getting his due IMO.

Hedman is great. A superstar Hall of famer but... he didnt hit ppg until he was 30... while playing with a stacked roster on par or better than the Oilers currently sport.

30!!!!

At 24 Bouchard is clearly on another level than Hedman was at the same age. Its not even close. Better defensively (Hedman), I believe so but statistically hardly apparent at the same age and of course a pale shadow of Bouchard offensive greatness.

Arguably Hedman was not as good as Bouchard at the same age and ditto for this season and especially in these playoffs.

Again. Not saying he IS better just that he is arguably better by many many metrics. Too many caught up in the name or... nationality? of the player to clearly see how amazing Bouchard has been to date and how reasonably he could still improve as well.
Evan Bouchard just played his best two NHL games back to back. His best performances ever. He has several hundred games to go, above and beyond that level, to be mentioned in the same stratosphere as Victor Hedman.

The player we witnessed the last two games is what I thought Bouchard could be before the Edmonton Oilers drafted him.

Now he needs to play consistently at this level.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
I think it's a little tricky as scoring did see a big jump in 2017 (while Hedman was not precisely a PPG player, he had 72 in 77 games which is a very good offensive season, and scoring has continued to improve). He was 25 that season.

I think Bouchard is definitely trending in the right direction, but if you were offer me the magic sauce and let me snap my fingers and swap Bouchard we have with a Hedman, it wouldn't be a trivial thing for me to say no to especially as we know Hedman's trajectory.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I think it's a little tricky as scoring did see a big jump in 2017 (while Hedman was not precisely a PPG player, he had 72 in 77 games which is a very good offensive season, and scoring has continued to improve). He was 25 that season.

I think Bouchard is definitely trending in the right direction, but if you were offer me the magic sauce and let me snap my fingers and swap Bouchard we have with a Hedman, it wouldn't be a trivial thing for me to say no to especially as we know Hedman's trajectory.
If current day Hedman was on the current day Oilers this cub would be near unbeatable. They'd have a chance at sweeping every round. Hedman playing with McDavid and Draisaitl would be something out of this world.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Evan Bouchard just played his best two NHL games back to back. His best performances ever. He has several hundred games to go, above and beyond that level, to be mentioned in the same stratosphere as Victor Hedman.

The player we witnessed the last two games is what I thought Bouchard could be before the Edmonton Oilers drafted him.

Now he needs to play consistently at this level.
To each their own. You love Hedman, nuff said.

But as mentioned you are only focusing on a fantasy peak Hedman. Not young developing Hedman or getting long in the tooth Hedman. Very very selective memory and a very biased way of comparing the two against each other.

Defenseman can be have such big swings in their development. Highs and lows. I hope Bouchard continues to develope. So young to be so good.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
To each their own. You love Hedman, nuff said.

But as mentioned you are only focusing on a fantasy peak Hedman. Not young developing Hedman or getting long in the tooth Hedman. Very very selective memory and a very biased way of comparing the two against each other.

Defenseman can be have such big swings in their development. Highs and lows. I hope Bouchard continues to develope. So young to be so good.
24 year old Hedman was the most unavailable player on the planet at the time. Long in the tooth Hedman is the best overall defenseman in the league, by a lot in my opinion.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
So some here honestly believe Bouchard is a better defenseman than Hedman. I don't know what to say, it's incredible.

I can see some people arguing for Josi, Makar... even Doughty, but I don't believe any of those players are as good as Hedman.

How? Why? What?

Take it to the mains.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Ekholm is actually a D-man, Bouchard needs a ton of work in that regard. He has looked better the last couple of games. Great on offense, no one is disputing that.
Ekholm seems to be losing a step. His positioning is still great and has all the experience but his game /mobility is slowing down on the defensive end. Bouchard will surpass him defensively pretty soon.

Can't believe we haven't traded this bum yet. Dude is a giveaway machine and has the defensive instincts of Erik Karlsson.
He is great right now.. wait til he gets the Nurse money and then watch this board.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So some here honestly believe Bouchard is a better defenseman than Hedman. I don't know what to say, it's incredible.

I can see some people arguing for Josi, Makar... even Doughty, but I don't believe any of those players are as good as Hedman.

How? Why? What?

Take it to the mains.

Ftr. Statistically this playoffs he IS better. Just the truth. I didn't watch TB get spanked this year outside of maybe a period so I can't say definitively he was outplayed by Bouchard... despite how likely that appears.

I don't watch a lot of TB regualr season either and with your comments I don't believe you do either. But it's not a secret or a surprise the last couple seasons Hedman has lost a step...

Age catches us all.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Ftr. Statistically this playoffs he IS better. Just the truth. I didn't watch TB get spanked this year outside of maybe a period so I can't say definitively he was outplayed by Bouchard... despite how likely that appears.

I don't watch a lot of TB regualr season either and with your comments I don't believe you do either. But it's not a secret or a surprise the last couple seasons Hedman has lost a step...

Age catches us all.
McDavid. Draisaitl. His defense partner is Ekholm. This cult is ridiculous. Full Stop.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Ekholm seems to be losing a step. His positioning is still great and has all the experience but his game /mobility is slowing down on the defensive end. Bouchard will surpass him defensively pretty soon.

He is great right now.. wait til he gets the Nurse money and then watch this board.
We'll see how Bouchard stands up defensively against the Canucks.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
McDavid. Draisaitl. His defense partner is Ekholm. This cult is ridiculous. Full Stop.
I made this point already. Kutch, Stam, Point... the list goes on and on with Vas backing them all...

No offense but your argument is full on desperate to bring up McDavid Draisaitl... Hell Kutch outscored McDavid this year...

How many cups does this group have again...? As good or better supporting cast.... so desperate.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I made this point already. Kutch, Stam, Point... the list goes on and on with Vas backing them all...

No offense but your argument is full on desperate to bring up McDavid Draisaitl... Hell Kutch outscored McDavid this year...

How many cups does this group have again...? As good or better supporting cast.... so desperate.
Dude talks like a leafs fan. Even his obsession with a regressed Hedman is Leafy. And his attempt to downplay Hyman since he got here. Oh and of course the “it’s All McDavid” effect argument. And the fear he has over an emerging elite Bouchard is also very Leafy if you ever hear Toronto media talk about Bouch.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Dude talks like a leafs fan. Even his obsession with a regressed Hedman is Leafy. And his attempt to downplay Hyman since he got here. Oh and of course the “it’s All McDavid” effect argument. And the fear he has over an emerging elite Bouchard is also very Leafy if you ever hear Toronto media talk about Bouch.
It's very cringe worthy stuff. So yes very Leafs like.

As I said. To each their own, but it is very strange how some on here seem to be in some state of denial on how good Bouchard currently is. Even more so when you consider his age.

I unfortunately have to repeat. No Bouchard is not as good as prime Hedman... duh. But in these playoffs, so far anyways Bouch is arguably and statistically better.

Every time I type that I imagine a scene out of Rain Man from protesting posters "Hedman is definitely better, definitely definitely better." over and over again. With maybe some tears along with the rocking back and forth.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It's very cringe worthy stuff. So yes very Leafs like.

As I said. To each their own, but it is very strange how some on here seem to be in some state of denial on how good Bouchard currently is. Even more so when you consider his age.

I unfortunately have to repeat. No Bouchard is not as good as prime Hedman... duh. But in these playoffs, so far anyways Bouch is arguably and statistically better.

Every time I type that I imagine a scene out of Rain Man from protesting posters "Hedman is definitely better, definitely definitely better." over and over again. With maybe some tears along with the rocking back and forth.
I agree with you. And it’s not even that hot of a take. Hedman doesn’t touch Bouchard offensively, everyone should be able to see this, especially a regressed one and he’s been regressing for years. Bouchs Overall play being better than todays Hedman is also supported strongly by stats and eye test. You watch a Bolts game and count the impacts Hedman makes on the game individually, then compare to Bouchard and there’s definitely an argument for Bouchard.

Reactions: Aerchon

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Ridiculous. Hedman has a Conn Smythe and a Norris trophy. He should have multiple Norris trophies if the award went to overall best defenseman.

You guys are just bad karma all around.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I agree with you. And it’s not even that hot of a take. Hedman doesn’t touch Bouchard offensively, everyone should be able to see this, especially a regressed one and he’s been regressing for years. Bouchs Overall play being better than todays Hedman is also supported strongly by stats and eye test. You watch a Bolts game and count the impacts Hedman makes on the game individually, then compare to Bouchard and there’s definitely an argument for Bouchard.
Hedman is a complete of a player as any you will find that ever played in the NHL. And he is still a f***ing remarkable player.

He's a first ballot hockey hall of famer. Bouchard has done nothing to be mentioned with the likes of one of the best defenseman to ever play in the NHL.

This is pathetic. Take it to the mains.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hedman is as a complete of a player as you will find that ever played in the NHL. He's a first ballot hockey hall of famer. Bouchard has done nothing to be mentioned with the like of one of the best defenseman to ever play in the NHL.

Take it to the mains.
We talking about Hedman Now.
Not comparing careers. Which you already knew.

We out here trying to talk Bouch and you’re like well let me tell you about about my favorite player out East instead on HF Oil. Why don’t you take it to the mains?

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Hedman is a complete of a player as any you will find that ever played in the NHL. And he is still a f***ing remarkable player.

He's a first ballot hockey hall of famer. Bouchard has done nothing to be mentioned with the likes of one of the best defenseman to ever play in the NHL.

This is pathetic. Take it to the mains.
Bouchard is making you look like a clown maybe you should stop

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Bouchard is making you look like a clown maybe you should stop
I'm a Bouchard supporter. Have been since before he was drafted by the Oilers.

Take it to the main board and make a poll.

We talking about Hedman Now.
Not comparing careers. Which you already knew.

We out here trying to talk Bouch and you’re like well let me tell you about about my favorite player out East instead on HF Oil. Why don’t you take it to the mains?
Current day Hedman vs current day Bouchard.

Take it to the main board and make a poll.

Or you're just talking garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad