Euro: Euro 2024: announced squads, pre-tournament friendlies etc.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Let's not flood the WORLD CUP thread with Euro talk. :laugh:

Discuss.

Germany, I guess:

Screenshot-2024-05-16-at-10-18-39-AM.png

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
France: Euro 2024 : Deschamps convoque Bradley Barcola, Ferland Mendy et N'Golo Kanté dans la liste de l'équipe de France

Gardiens (3)
Alphonse Areola (West Ham, ANG)
Mike Maignan (AC Milan, ITA)
Brice Samba (Lens)

Défenseurs (8)
Jonathan Clauss (Marseille)
Theo Hernandez (AC Milan, ITA)
Ibrahima Konaté (Liverpool, ANG)
Jules Koundé (FC Barcelone, ESP)
Ferland Mendy (Real Madrid, ESP)
Benjamin Pavard (Inter Milan, ITA)
William Saliba (Arsenal, ANG)
Dayot Upamecano (Bayern Munich, ALL)
Milieux (7)
Eduardo Camavinga (Real Madrid, ESP)
Youssouf Fofana (Monaco)
Antoine Griezmann (Atlético de Madrid, ESP)
N'Golo Kanté (Al-Ittihad, ARS)
Adrien Rabiot (Juventus Turin, ITA)
Aurélien Tchouaméni (Real Madrid, ESP)
Warren Zaïre-Emery (Paris-SG)
Attaquants (7)
Bradley Barcola (Paris-SG)
Kingsley Coman (Bayern Munich, ALL)
Ousmane Dembélé (Paris-SG)
Olivier Giroud (AC Milan, ITA)
Randal Kolo Muani (Paris-SG)
Kylian Mbappé (Paris-SG)
Marcus Thuram (Inter Milan, ITA)

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Do we think the Euros will have enough traffic that we should have group threads or is one thread for each stage enough?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Will be interesting to see how Nagelsmann plays with the shape. He ran

Havertz
Musiala - Gundogan - Wirtz
Kroos - Andrich
Mittelstädt - Tah - Rüdiger - Kimmich
Neuer​

at the last international break; but that leaves Sane & Füllkrug off the bench. So I still feel like our best shape is some version of:

Havertz/Füllkrug
Musiala - Wirtz - Sane
Kroos/Gundogan - Andrich
Mittelstädt - Tah/Nico - Rüdiger - Kimmich
Neuer/ter Stegen​

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Will be interesting to see how Nagelsmann plays with the shape. He ran

Havertz
Musiala - Gundogan - Wirtz
Kroos - Andrich
Mittelstädt - Tah - Rüdiger - Kimmich
Neuer​

at the last international break; but that leaves Sane & Füllkrug off the bench. So I still feel like our best shape is some version of:

Havertz/Füllkrug
Musiala - Wirtz - Sane
Kroos/Gundogan - Andrich
Mittelstädt - Tah/Nico - Rüdiger - Kimmich
Neuer/ter Stegen​
Is Schlotterback OK at the LB/LCB hybrid? Sort of like Gvardiol?
It'd be a shame to leave him out of the starting 11. I realize Tah's had a great season, but still...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It'd be a shame to leave him out of the starting 11. I realize Tah's had a great season, but still...

Though he's played LCB in a back 3, Schlotterbeck has very limited experience playing LB in a back 4. IIRC he's only played there once for the NT and gave away a goal purely due to his lack of experience defending in space, without a team-mate on the outside...while never having played there for 1.FCU or Freiburg; dunno if BVB have ever deputized him at LB tho.

He should have the athleticism and quickness for it...but he doesn't have the straight-line speed that guys like Gvardiol & Süle do, so I'm not even sure it's a worthwhile experiment. If we need to go with a more defensive option at LB, I'd just flip Henrichs over there and start him opposite the free-thinker.

The biggest thing will be whether JN can help Nico lift the curse he's had when wearing the NT shirt so far...because no matter how well he plays, whenever he starts for the NT, Schlotterbeck gives away a flukey goal. If we can get club-Schlotterbeck for the NT, he's our best CB.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
What do u think Croatia starting line up will look like?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Based on his preferences, is there a most likely candidate? Or do you think it will be genuinely wide open if Coman is ruled out?
Frankly I don't see an obvious candidate per DD standards.
So I could see a Doue or Olise. Or Tel.

Reactions: cgf

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
What do u think Croatia starting line up will look like?
Depends on what Dalic does with Gvardiol.
Our 2nd and 3rd CBs had underwhelming seasons, though they still perform with the NT.
Sutalo struggled along with everyone else at Ajax, Erlic got relegated at Sassuolo (though he should be moving to a top-7/8 club in Italy next season).

If Dalic feels secure with the 2 of them at the back:
A. Livakovic - Stanisic, Sutalo, Erlic, Gvardiol - Kovacic, Brozovic, Modric - Kramaric, Pasalic, Petkovic (Budimir)
B. Ivanusec, Pasaalic, Kramaric up top

Perisic should be fit enough to play 25-30 mins per match.

If Gvardiol starts at CB:
Livakovic - Stanisic, Sutalo, Gvardiol, Sosa - Kovacic, Brozovic, Modric - Kramaric, Pasalic, Petkovic (Budimir)

Potential changes:
Ivanusec instead of Pasalic or Petkovic (Kramaric as striker, Ivanusec and Pasalic up front with him)
Perisic at LB (but he really shouldn't not be fit enough after coming back from an ACL)

It's still a monster midfield and Stanisic/Gvardiol should control the flanks, I'm super happy there.
Sutalo/Erlic have actually been great together, but like I said, both coming off dodgy seasons.

We'll still be the slowest team in the tournament, absolutely no pace lol.
We'll hold the ball and try to squeak out 1-goal wins in games with little goalscoring opportunities.

I'd rather we had someone like Doku and we could attack people with pace in transition - but we don't.

IMO Dalic will try Gvardiol and Stanisic at fullbacks because of how capable they are with the ball, yet still great defensively. We need all the help we can get up front.

In theory, they can win the EURO. Or they can go out in the group stage.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Confirmed: Gareth Southgate's provisional England squad​

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson, Jordan Pickford, Aaron Ramsdale, James Trafford.

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite, Lewis Dunk, Joe Gomez, Marc Guéhi, Ezri Konsa, Harry Maguire, Jarell Quansah, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker.

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Conor Gallagher, Curtis Jones, Kobbie Mainoo, Declan Rice, Adam Wharton.

Forwards: Jude Bellingham, Jarrod Bowen, Eberechi Eze, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Anthony Gordon, Harry Kane, James Maddison, Cole Palmer, Bukayo Saka, Ivan Toney, Ollie Watkins.

Hmm, Luke Shaw is in there so the report about him missing the Euros was false.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Cuts will be Henderson, Konsa, Dunk, Quansah, Wharton, Toney, and Maddison, if I were a betting man.

Confirmed: Gareth Southgate's provisional England squad​

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson, Jordan Pickford, Aaron Ramsdale, James Trafford.

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite, Lewis Dunk, Joe Gomez, Marc Guéhi, Ezri Konsa, Harry Maguire, Jarell Quansah, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker.

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Conor Gallagher, Curtis Jones, Kobbie Mainoo, Declan Rice, Adam Wharton.

Forwards: Jude Bellingham, Jarrod Bowen, Eberechi Eze, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Anthony Gordon, Harry Kane, James Maddison, Cole Palmer, Bukayo Saka, Ivan Toney, Ollie Watkins.

No Henderson, No Rashford.

Bit of a surprise on some of the non-capped younger players. Southgate also taking 4 keepers for now. Selfishly, seeing Jones, Gomez and Quansah make it is nice. Jones was one of England's best player last summer at u21s. Would have liked to see Elliott sneak in, but I get it. Wharton making it over him is a bit odd, though they're different. He's got time.
Wharton making it over Elliott isn't odd given that they weren't in competition with each other. Elliott's competition was Eze and his own teammate Jones.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Cuts will be Henderson, Konsa, Dunk, Quansah, Wharton, Toney, and Maddison, if I were a betting man.

Wharton making it over Elliott isn't odd given that they weren't in competition with each other. Elliott's competition was Eze and his own teammate Jones.
They should have taken Elliott, Solanke, and the player that they should be starting at left back, Leif Davis, are the biggest omissions here. But there is obviously a lot of talent here. I’m probably bringing Colwill over Dunk but don’t think either ended the season great. I don’t think Elliott was competing with Eze though; Eze more left sided/Elliott more right sided; but Elliott certainly had a better season that Curtis Jones (largely because Jones injury). I think Solanke was better than Toney, but you could have given Elliott that spot too and had Bowen for cover there. Honestly with the way Maddison ended the season you could have taken Elliott over him too, and Eze to backup Jude. Long story short. Elliott should be in the roster. I guess Saka has recovered from his horrific injury that kept him out of MW38

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad