Value of: Erik Cernak to NJD

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I would think the Devils would preferably target a LHD - but trading for Cernak and putting one of Hamilton/Nemec/Marino/Cernak on the left side isn't a bad option.

Just had PTSD from the Severson-Vatanen pairing. Another righty seems like an unlikely target. And I don't know where you're getting all this cap space from.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Just had PTSD from the Severson-Vatanen pairing. Another righty seems like an unlikely target. And I don't know where you're getting all this cap space from.

Could see Marino going out the door if Cernak comes in the door.

And Cernak makes $5.2 million.

Devils have plenty of cap space this summer. PLENTY.

About $19 million in space - Dawson Mercer being the only significant RFA that needs to be resigned.

And that's without any money coming off the books - Marino? Siegenthaler? Holtz?

Reactions: Grinner

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Why is Tampa trading him though?

He's a soon to be 27 year old top 3-4 RHD who's about to start the first year of an 8 year deal at a reasonable number.

I think Devils should just focus on finding a longterm solution in net. They have great forwards and depth and pretty good young D. It can be improved for sure but Cernak doesn't seem like the type of player who's available.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

He's a soon to be 27 year old top 3-4 RHD who's about to start the first year of an 8 year deal at a reasonable number.

I think Devils should just focus on finding a longterm solution in net. They have great forwards and depth and pretty good young D. It can be improved for sure but Cernak doesn't seem like the type of player who's available.

Don't know.

But I've seen Tampa fans wanting him GONE

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Just started his 8 year deal. Next three years are full NTC. If the Bolts are gonna deal him it will have to be at the draft. I don't see him waiving after that. Players that sign long term with Tampa or Florida are like snowbirds that retire there. They never leave willingly. lol

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
But if he's as bad as they say he is then why would you want him?
he's not. Some fans apparently were expecting him to be the pillar of this crap defense that we had without sergachev.
I'm surprised Hedman looked decent to be honest. Unfortunately aside from them the rest of the defense was catastrophic

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Tampa isn't ready to pack it in yet. We need some depth pieces and our goaltending not to be complete shit, but they're not about to start tearing it down.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
....... because he's not nearly as bad as they say he is?

And he's a tough, physical top 4 defenseman. A Stanley Cup Champion.

Why wouldn't the Devils want him...

he's not. Some fans apparently were expecting him to be the pillar of this crap defense that we had without sergachev.
I'm surprised Hedman looked decent to be honest. Unfortunately aside from them the rest of the defense was catastrophic

Soooo... it sounds like he's good and that Tampa will keep him... which is what I eluded to all along

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Tampa isn't ready to pack it in yet. We need some depth pieces and our goaltending not to be complete shit, but they're not about to start tearing it down.
I don’t know how they sign stammer to a deal and make their roster work.

Pieces have to go. Idk if that’s 2-3 smaller ones or 1 big one

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013

Assuming they bring back Stamkos, they really have no cap space to fix the rest of the roster. And they need another top 6 forward, a couple bottom six wingers, and a couple more competent puck moving dmen.

Cernak was pretty bad this year. Now could that just be due to Blashill being horrible and/or the injury to Sergachev and a revolving partner? who knows.

But if they had to move one of their bigger contracts to allocate that salary to get upgrades elsewhere, he would make the most sense. His physical game has lead to a lengthy list of injuries already that won't age well

Reactions: Blueston

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I don’t know how they sign stammer to a deal and make their roster work.

Pieces have to go. Idk if that’s 2-3 smaller ones or 1 big one
If Brisebois is smart, he'll move out Jeannot, Perbix, and Sheary. It gives the team around 17.5 million and enough room to do what they need to do to improve, provided Stamkos works with them on his deal. If not, he walks and Tampa.still has plenty of space to add quality from ufa this summer.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
If Brisebois is smart, he'll move out Jeannot, Perbix, and Sheary. It gives the team around 17.5 million and enough room to do what they need to do to improve, provided Stamkos works with them on his deal. If not, he walks and Tampa.still has plenty of space to add quality from ufa this summer.
I think Jeannot is gone. He can fetch a 3rd or 4th from a team looking to add a bottom six talent.

Perbix is someone they shouldn't move - he has a low enough contract for next year that he is an asset for the team

Sheary doesn't carry any value, maybe they get a 7th or future considerations.

The problem is their lack of prospect depth. They can't retool by trading out a few bottom six guys and plugging prospects in. They need to get value in return for these guys leaving that fills a terribly bare cupboard.

If I were them, I'd be trading Cirelli for a an NHL ready prospect and pick in this draft. Clears $6M out, and brings in cost controlled talent. If Stamkos is to be resigned, that will by $5.5M+, and Cirelli is simply the most moveable piece that doesn't impact their true core.

If the cap goes up $4.5M, the lightning have roughly $12.5M. RFAs and low level UFA resigning + Stammer at $6M puts them at 800K of cap. And their team loses Dumba/Duclair/Fleury/DeHaan. That new team may not even make the playoffs let alone give them a run.

If they move our Jeannot/Sheary thats $4.6 of relief, but only gives them roughly $3M of additional spend for two spots. Maybe they can bring in an aging vet or two, but Tampa needs to get better at 5v5 and a couple aging guys doesnt do it.

My suggestion, trade Cirelli/Jeannot/Sheary, and use $10M to bring in 3-4 decent younger players on some term. Get a good prospect back from Cirelli, and retool for a year so you have one last window to run with the core.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Af
I think Jeannot is gone. He can fetch a 3rd or 4th from a team looking to add a bottom six talent.

Perbix is someone they shouldn't move - he has a low enough contract for next year that he is an asset for the team

Sheary doesn't carry any value, maybe they get a 7th or future considerations.

The problem is their lack of prospect depth. They can't retool by trading out a few bottom six guys and plugging prospects in. They need to get value in return for these guys leaving that fills a terribly bare cupboard.

If I were them, I'd be trading Cirelli for a an NHL ready prospect and pick in this draft. Clears $6M out, and brings in cost controlled talent. If Stamkos is to be resigned, that will by $5.5M+, and Cirelli is simply the most moveable piece that doesn't impact their true core.

If the cap goes up $4.5M, the lightning have roughly $12.5M. RFAs and low level UFA resigning + Stammer at $6M puts them at 800K of cap. And their team loses Dumba/Duclair/Fleury/DeHaan. That new team may not even make the playoffs let alone give them a run.

If they move our Jeannot/Sheary thats $4.6 of relief, but only gives them roughly $3M of additional spend for two spots. Maybe they can bring in an aging vet or two, but Tampa needs to get better at 5v5 and a couple aging guys doesnt do it.

My suggestion, trade Cirelli/Jeannot/Sheary, and use $10M to bring in 3-4 decent younger players on some term. Get a good prospect back from Cirelli, and retool for a year so you have one last window to run with the core.
Disagree, but that's fine. After trading Sheary, Jeannot, and Perbix, Tampa will have roughly 17.5 million available given a projected cap of 87.7. Perbix is no longer needed, and Tampa will need every dollar to sign guys that will improve the team.

Tampa isn't re-tooling/rebuilding, so the only reason to move Cirelli and create another hole in the top 6 is if they are trading him for a legit top 4 RD with term, or if for pucks/prospects, those are moved for one. JBB could also add one with some of Cirelli's space and keep the picks/players, but that's more of a gamble with ufa's.

Stamkos will hopefully come in between 6 and 7, and then Tampa uses around 7 on a depth F and additional depth RD(in order to alleviate pressure off Crozier and for when Cernak inevitably gets injured). Tampa will rely on at least 1, maybe 2 younger guys from Syracuse, but there are several ready to make the jump next season(and guys like Duke, Gauthier, and Howard aren't far off). Tampa will have to rely on a couple of cheaper contacts like this in the bottom 6, but the top 6 should be set.

If Cirelli does get moved for a cheaper RD with some term, then.Tampa can likely add 2 F, one for the top 6(Duclair or someone else similarly priced), and a better option for the middle 6 that maybe can play up. They will have a perceived "deficiency" somewhere in the lineup regatdless.of what they do, but given their offensive and defensive trends the last 3 years, I hope they add on the blueline and not overspend on a 3rd or 4th liner.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

And I can remember when you were jumping all over people for disagreeing with your claim that Perbix was a top four defenseman.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
And I can remember when you were jumping all over people for disagreeing with your claim that Perbix was a top four defenseman.
Perbix could easily rebound, but with Tampa needing space, he's an easy choice to move if as is likely, they need it. And Perbix did look like a player with the potential of being a top.4 when and if I made that claim, so your attempt at some gotcha moment means little to me, but cool I guess...

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
I could definitely see the Bolts making Cernak available this summer. Brisebois needs to get some affairs in order.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Why? So he can push Marino/Nemec out of the lineup?

Devils are the last team that needs to add a RD, if anything they could stand to trade one next season if Casey proves to be ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad