GDT: ECQF GAME 7 - 8:14 PM - Toronto Maple Leafs (3) @ BOSTON BRUINS (3) - I assure you Woll is injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
This HAS to be the off season that the Leaf’s make an actual meaningful change, no?
How do you come back with the “core 4” again after this?
After game 4 I would have agreed, but hopefully wins in game 5 and 6 is enough to convince Shanny otherwise.

Reactions: wikiwa

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I dunno, Matthews the 69 goal scorer had 63 minutes or whatever to score a goal and couldn't do it. One goal in 5 games ain't gonna cut it for a superstar rocket winner.
He no showed too. But one wonders if the leaf’s play a more free game and one that would take advantage of their immense skill if they had a backend they could rely on.

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
And Woll didn't allow any bad goals
And maybe we can have a reasonable discussion about Woll when he shows he can play a meaningful amount of games without getting hurt. Maybe he starts the series wins 2 games and then gets hurt.
End of the day you scored 12 goals in 7 games, thats not good enough.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Imagine trotting out a rookie in Woll and a bust in Samsonov in Year 9 of Matthews career. What a waste of generational talent.
The Leafs didn’t have a goalie problem this series. They can’t score, especially on the powerplay. Their defense can’t create offense and the pressure is on the fwds for everything.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Criticizing the backend seems weird to me when they were only giving up 1-2 goals a game. The offense was obviously the problem.
Hard to say with how inept Bostons offence looked both on the ice and on paper.

The leaf’s D may have stayed afloat keeping pucks out of the net. But how much puck moving or offence did they provide. Defence in todays league is a 200 ft game.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I will say it again, beautiful move by Pasta. He has such an amazing shot, to go with that repertoire of in close hands.

The B's were close to the pinnacle of the NHL about 10 years ago; somehow they have stayed afloat for a VERY long time. Even if they lost, I admire their organization. I'm not even considering the loss of Bergeron/Krejci.

Good team...but Fla got them and the East.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Hard to say with how inept Bostons offence looked both on the ice and on paper.

The leaf’s D may have stayed afloat keeping pucks out of the net. But how much puck moving or offence did they provide. Defence in todays league is a 200 ft game.
The Leafs blue line did their job. Outside of Rielly, there's not much else offensively. When there's over $40 million on 4 forwards, there's gotta be goals scored. The coaching staff and Marner are the odd ones out. The coaches made zero adjustments on the PP. Tavares can't be traded. Marner has taken this franchise to the cleaners at every opportunity and doesn't show up when it matters. Matthews put up 69 goals, can't trade him, and Nylander is probably the most clutch of them all. Money needs to be allocated elsewhere. I feel bad for whatever fanbase trades for Marner, sees 100 points a season and gets nothing in the playoffs. He wouldn't get the hate from me and the fanbase if he didn't squeeze every dime from the Leafs that he could and then be scared to take a check or make a pass come playoff time.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The Leafs didn’t have a goalie problem this series. They can’t score, especially on the powerplay. Their defense can’t create offense and the pressure is on the fwds for everything.
The goal scoring was low. But also the chance creation was low. I think the style of game the Bs and Leaf’s employed added to the low scoring. Both teams didn’t give up my grade A or odd mans. In that low volume, low danger environment you need your goalie to make the easy saves. I don’t think Samsonov did that, he gave up some stinkers this series. Woll played good though.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The Leafs blue line did their job. Outside of Rielly, there's not much else offensively. When there's over $40 million on 4 forwards, there's gotta be goals scored. The coaching staff and Marner are the odd ones out. The coaches made zero adjustments on the PP. Tavares can't be traded. Marner has taken this franchise to the cleaners at every opportunity and doesn't show up when it matters. Matthews put up 69 goals, can't trade him, and Nylander is probably the most clutch of them all. Money needs to be allocated elsewhere. I feel bad for whatever fanbase trades for Marner, sees 100 points a season and gets nothing in the playoffs. He wouldn't get the hate from me and the fanbase if he didn't squeeze every dime from the Leafs that he could and then be scared to take a check or make a pass come playoff time.
They did their job defensively. I just think that job should include offence in todays league. It almost needs to, to generate offence in these tight playoffs. Speaking from an Oilers point of view, like yeh McDrai get the job done, but Bouchard is helping imemsnively with the teams overall finishing. And the D core has been doing a great job puck moving all year. I just don’t think the Leaf’s have the horses back there to have that kind of support from the back end that can breed offence.

I agree that the leaf’s cap issues are partly to blame. I mean even if a number 1 D with some elite offence was available the Leaf’s currently wouldn’t be able to fit them in. Guess we’ll see if this is the end of Marner in Toronto, it seems to be trending that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad