D Rodwin Dionicio - Niagara IceDogs, OHL (2023, 129th, ANA)

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
What's your problem? You're repeatedly insulting people in this thread (and elsewhere) yet keep on complaining about harassment? You even managed to do both in the same sentence. I'd strongly recommend to start watching your mouth if you wanna get along with other users on this board. In my case it's too late though. I've seen enough. Congratulations, after 7,5 years on hfboards you're the first to make it to my ignore list.

Also, if you watched even one episode of 32 thoughts or even just followed NHL media coverage for a little while you'd know that Friedman and Marek are insiders (at least Friedman is while Marek is hosting TV shows as well), not scouts. They're journalists with a focus on the NHL and I can guarantee you that most the posters you're arguing with (including me) are watching more OHL games than Friedman and Marek do. I respect them a lot for what they do, I'm following their podcast and there's no doubt Friedman is nr.1 in the business but as explained above, they're not scouts so they don't usually talk about prospects unless it's notable ones unwilling to sign, requesting trades or potentially joining NHL teams. Prospects may also become a topic as part of trade rumors. Either way, Friedman and Marek are never gonna evaluate the prospects play in their podcasts because that's just simply not what it's about. Therefore you claiming they talked about Dionicio's play is just bs. Even if I didn't listen to their podcast regularly I could still easily call bs on this one. Sam Cosentino is Sportsnet's junior hockey analyst, not Friedman or Marek. On 32 thoughts the podcast they did talk about Ducks prospects just about a month ago but that was after the Ducks got fined 50k dollars for pressuring their prospects into attending a prospect camp in Florida by facilitating housing which NHL teams aren't allowed to do. However, they didn't name Dionicio (or any other Ducks prospect for that matter) even once. I'm sure Friedman has a pretty good idea of which Ducks prospects complained to the league about this but it would have been bad style to call them out. Friedman would never do that.
Elite prospects like Mintyukov, Zellweger, and Leneau?

No one is saying he’s at their level. He’s an interesting prospect who will be a lot of fun to watch if he maximizes his potential. I think most people in this thread would agree with my statement and are under no illusions that he’s a surefire elite prospect.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Still somewhat surprising though. Anaheim and San Diego are by no means guaranteed to be contenders anytime soon...which might be the only way Dionicio can get in games for the organization while playing in Switzerland. So Anaheim is basically wasting a contract slot for seemingly no particular reason. Happy for the player though.
Gotta keep your good prospects happy.

There’s a reason he got a max ELC. He’s legit.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Listen guy, last year Dionicio had better statistics with Saginaw than this year. He was still selected in the 5th round and in the priority of signings, despite the deadline which ends in 1 year, plenty of Anaheim 2022/23 prospects were signed before him. These are facts. Not my agenda.

As already mentioned 10 times, I dispute his status as an exceptional talent, elite offensive defender, comparisons with Burns and Subban and potential future NHL star.

Ok.

I think you're fighting with your own self.

The context used for "exceptional" play is where Hot Rod was doing said exceptional play. You are twisted in thought to mean Hot Rod is exceptional to be a #1 defender in the NHL today. Like I said, you're fighting with your own self b/c the many media I shared compliment Hot Rod's play of where he was doing it. You certainly aren't going to write to those media to tell them you're wrong, are you? If not, then you must realize you are fighting with your own self.

Ok.

Reactions: Hinterland

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I think you're fighting with your own self.

The context used for "exceptional" play is where Hot Rod was doing said exceptional play. You are twisted in thought to mean Hot Rod is exceptional to be a #1 defender in the NHL today. Like I said, you're fighting with your own self b/c the many media I shared compliment Hot Rod's play of where he was doing it. You certainly aren't going to write to those media to tell them you're wrong, are you? If not, then you must realize you are fighting with your own self.

Ok.

It's his defensive play that's the problem and that's what the franchises are looking at first. And he has big problems in this essential sector.

49:10

Last edited:

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Random Nobody’s on a podcast > Random Nobody’s on HF

Love how hypocritical this guy is.
He works for TVA Sports, has contact with a lot of guys in the industry and spends his days looking at prospects (that's his job). Last year, his top 64 in the 2023 NHL draft came from around rank 100. It’s not uncommon to see NHL prospects appear on his podcasts. He also works for the CHL. And you ?

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Still somewhat surprising though. Anaheim and San Diego are by no means guaranteed to be contenders anytime soon...which might be the only way Dionicio can get in games for the organization while playing in Switzerland. So Anaheim is basically wasting a contract slot for seemingly no particular reason. Happy for the player though.

That's unless he's gonna play for San Diego of course which is something the player was initially interested in and actually wanted to do this season already. However, if that was still the plan he most certainly wouldn't have signed in Switzerland.
I think that shows just how much they want him in the org. If they think he's ready to make an impact sooner than later than it doesn't matter whether he signs in SUI or not. It also dissuades him from running out his contract or choosing not to sign and going with another team.

Reactions: Hinterland

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
He works for TVA Sports, has contact with a lot of guys in the industry and spends his days looking at prospects (that's his job). Last year, his top 64 in the 2023 NHL draft came from around rank 100. It’s not uncommon to see NHL prospects appear on his podcasts. He also works for the CHL. And you ?
His podcast is only in french, opinion invalid.

Reactions: Rasp

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think that shows just how much they want him in the org. If they think he's ready to make an impact sooner than later than it doesn't matter whether he signs in SUI or not. It also dissuades him from running out his contract or choosing not to sign and going with another team.

I agree but it's still surprising. He's exactly the type of player who would have benefitted from playing a year or two of pro hockey in Europe and the Ducks still had time to sign him.

In hindsight him signing in Biel doesn't make sense either. I have no clue why he did it just to sign with Anaheim shortly after...especially after initially saying that he's gonna talk to the Ducks regarding where to play next season.

Everything a bit strange in my view but I hope it works out for the kid.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I agree but it's still surprising. He's exactly the type of player who would have benefitted from playing a year or two of pro hockey in Europe and the Ducks still had time to sign him.

In hindsight him signing in Biel doesn't make sense either. I have no clue why he did it just to sign with Anaheim shortly after...especially after initially saying that he's gonna talk to the Ducks regarding where to play next season.

Everything a bit strange in my view but I hope it works out for the kid.
I suspect that Anaheim management wants to be very involved in his development from Day 1. He is still a bit of a longshot to make the NHL but better that he be developed locally than playing in Europe. From Dionicio's POV, the Biel situation may have just be insurance that he'd have a place to play if the Ducks didn't want to sign him OR to provide a little leverage for Anaheim to sign him. Either way, his play this year earned him a contract so good for him. He'll be an inspirational story for others if he can beat the odds and have a good NHL career.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I suspect that Anaheim management wants to be very involved in his development from Day 1. He is still a bit of a longshot to make the NHL but better that he be developed locally than playing in Europe. From Dionicio's POV, the Biel situation may have just be insurance that he'd have a place to play if the Ducks didn't want to sign him OR to provide a little leverage for Anaheim to sign him. Either way, his play this year earned him a contract so good for him. He'll be an inspirational story for others if he can beat the odds and have a good NHL career.

A player like Dionicio is always gonna get lots of good offers out of Europe. I don't think he ever needed insurance. Him signing in Biel therefore also gave him zero leverage in negociations with the Ducks. I don't think they ever doubted his ability to get a contract in Europe.

The multi year contract does limit Dionicio's options going forward though. He's probably betting on himself to stay in NA for that time but if he doesn't he'll have to report to Biel instead of being able to choose his destination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad