News Article: Coyotes rebuild is just beginning, but it’s off to a brilliant start

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My main concerns in this are 1. Chychrun and 2. Tourigny. Chychrun's entire career has been under the inept Tocchet/Chayka regime. Can he stomach even more losing? Tourigny is a first time NHL head coach. How quickly will his credibility dissolve when the team loses 50-55 games in his first season? How are these guys supposed to buy what he's selling when it doesn't bear fruit (pun intended)? He's got no experience with losing. He's always won. How hard is it going to be on him? Will he get tuned out?

I guess the nice thing is that Kessel, Eriksson, Jaskin, Roussel, Beagle, Larsson, Dzingel, Boyd, Stralman, Lyubushkin, and Hutton are all UFAs after this season. If and it's a BIG IF we can win Shane Wright, and then IF we can really sign some actually decent UFAs, and suddenly in Year Two, we finish with 15-20 points more than we did in Year One, maybe Tourigny won't lose the room. Maybe Chychrun won't lose patience.

I think it all comes down to FINALLY getting some luck and FINALLY drafting first overall. Then it's about not getting greedy and tanking again for Bedard/Michkov. We have to dive straight to the bottom of the pool, grab the Shane Wright prize, kick off the floor, and shoot right back up for air. We can't just stay sunk and drown. Get down there, grab the franchise center, and get the f*** out QUICK. That's the way we pull this off.

If our 1st pick is Wright, and if we use the next seven picks in the top 64, and we use them well, I think we can start pulling out of the rebuild right away. I don't mean start moving young assets for vets. I just mean, stop tanking. We'll have fully stocked cupboards and can focus on getting better.

Keller-Wright-Guenther
Chychrun-Soderstrom
Prosvetov

^ that's a good enough base since we'll also have Hayton, Jenik, Timmins, Maccelli, Kolyachonok, Doan, Moser, Fedotov, Farinacci, the MTL 1st, the COL 1st, and all FIVE 2nds in addition to those six pieces listed above.

That's actually a solid top 23 pieces under 24 years of age. That's a real base with which to build an actual team. Especially if we can continue hanging onto picks, and drafting well, as our selections hopefully slide later and later in each round, with each year.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I'd really like to be able to ask BA if this is a 1 or 2 year tank. With Bedard in the next draft it must be very tempting to try and double dip. Potential to have a C situation like Pittsburgh, Tampa, Toronto, Edmonton etc.

I really don't think we'll be competitive next year anyway. Too many holes, and no one would want to come here even with all the salary space we'll have.

I don't think Tourigny will be upset about whatever happens, I'm sure BA told him what he was signing on for. I also don't think it will be an issue in the room. We're going to have a lot of roster turnover the next few seasons.

Chychrun is a major concern though. Seeing his friends leave and an awful roster must be demoralizing. Even if he doesn't demand a trade there is the risk his play declines due to a lack of motivation. It's going to be hard playing only for personal stats when everyone knows we're going to be bottom 5.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
How to stock up for the future 101.

If there was ANYONE on Earth I would want drafting in the NHL, it is Bill Armstrong.

This could be the draft that starts it all. Just sayin.

rt

May 13, 2004
First viewing of Bedard tonight at a Pats scrimmage. He is going to be too tempting to not tank for. This is the next Crosby level superstar.
If we don’t pick 1st overall, I think we will tank again. If we do pick 1st overall, I think we’ll stop tanking. It’ll still be a rebuild and we aren’t magically going to be good all of a sudden. But this egregious, brazen tanking stuff will end if we get Wright. If we don’t get Wright, I think we’ll keep it going another year.

The only way out of this is with Wright or Bedard.

Reactions: moosemeister

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I'd really like to be able to ask BA if this is a 1 or 2 year tank. With Bedard in the next draft it must be very tempting to try and double dip. Potential to have a C situation like Pittsburgh, Tampa, Toronto, Edmonton etc.

I really don't think we'll be competitive next year anyway. Too many holes, and no one would want to come here even with all the salary space we'll have.

I don't think Tourigny will be upset about whatever happens, I'm sure BA told him what he was signing on for. I also don't think it will be an issue in the room. We're going to have a lot of roster turnover the next few seasons.

Chychrun is a major concern though. Seeing his friends leave and an awful roster must be demoralizing. Even if he doesn't demand a trade there is the risk his play declines due to a lack of motivation. It's going to be hard playing only for personal stats when everyone knows we're going to be bottom 5.
I'd be willing to bet we stay a defense first team, and we kept Housley so unless they ask him to taper his offense to become better defensively, I don't expect too big a drop off. I'd bet we score at a similar pace to last year too.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'd be willing to bet we stay a defense first team, and we kept Housley so unless they ask him to taper his offense to become better defensively, I don't expect too big a drop off. I'd bet we score at a similar pace to last year too.
I really hope we get Wright. I think that salvages Chychrun. And those two are enough to build around. Both are super dedicated, super motivated, super competitive, and fantastic leaders. Immense skill and all of the intangibles. It's such an incredible long-shot, but we have to be due by now, right? Wright?

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I really hope we get Wright. I think that salvages Chychrun. And those two are enough to build around. Both are super dedicated, super motivated, super competitive, and fantastic leaders. Immense skill and all of the intangibles. It's such an incredible long-shot, but we have to be due by now, right? Wright?
Wright!

It's manageable without Wright but I would rather not test the waters. Even with Wright, I want to double down with our next best first for another center, unless BPA is too disparaging. There are 9 very appealing centers in the top 20. I also don't care how good Bedard is, I don't want the floor of our rebuild to take 2 years. I think we can do a 1 and done, climb back out over 3 years and be real competitive in 5-6 years from the 2022 draft..

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I wouldn’t worry about Tourigny losing the room this season cuz the room is pretty much all leaving after this season.

The worst case scenario if guys like eriksson/dzingel/Jaskin/etc quit on the team is that we won’t return much for them at the deadline. That’s pretty much it

Reactions: knich

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I think we can do a 1 and done, climb back out over 3 years and be real competitive in 5-6 years from the 2022 draft..

I'm being optimistic, hoping that we'll be real competitive in 4-5 seasons, even if we tank the next season too. (Not saying they should.)

Years 1 & 2 (2021-'22 / 2022-'23 seasons) is all about drafting smart and acquiring picks/drafting lots. It's gonna be rough!

Year 3 (2023-'24 season) Guenther and some other high end picks we select will/should be ready to be eased into the line-up (if they arent already there.) We could also start to trade from our strengths to get more competitive. Bring in some farther along players, maybe attempt to acquire some good veteran talent & leadership - the type that deserve more than a 1 year contract and aren't a cap dump. I think that at this point we could be back to mediocre, just like we were for 20 years before the rebuild lol.

Year 4 (2024-'25 season) is where I think we should (hope we) have enough good things going for us to start enticing quality free agents, spend some money.

Year 5 (2025-'26 season) Why couldn't we be fighting for a playoff spot by this point, if not last year?

It's aggressive and optimistic, but there's lots of options with all these picks/prospects. So far BA has been real aggressive. I think this can go faster than expected.

It's gonna be interesting and hopefully fun, not frustrating seeing how this all unfolds in the real world.

Last edited:
Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

MattyNew91

Jul 5, 2018
Was curious as a leafs fan Lawson Crouse situation if he's available and if so what type of deal would the Yotes be looking for him. If a deal around Dermott+ is something of interest.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
People are forgetting about how good Shane Wright is because he hasn't played in a year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My main concerns in this are 1. Chychrun and 2. Tourigny. Chychrun's entire career has been under the inept Tocchet/Chayka regime. Can he stomach even more losing? Tourigny is a first time NHL head coach. How quickly will his credibility dissolve when the team loses 50-55 games in his first season? How are these guys supposed to buy what he's selling when it doesn't bear fruit (pun intended)? He's got no experience with losing. He's always won. How hard is it going to be on him? Will he get tuned out?

I guess the nice thing is that Kessel, Eriksson, Jaskin, Roussel, Beagle, Larsson, Dzingel, Boyd, Stralman, Lyubushkin, and Hutton are all UFAs after this season. If and it's a BIG IF we can win Shane Wright, and then IF we can really sign some actually decent UFAs, and suddenly in Year Two, we finish with 15-20 points more than we did in Year One, maybe Tourigny won't lose the room. Maybe Chychrun won't lose patience.

I think it all comes down to FINALLY getting some luck and FINALLY drafting first overall. Then it's about not getting greedy and tanking again for Bedard/Michkov. We have to dive straight to the bottom of the pool, grab the Shane Wright prize, kick off the floor, and shoot right back up for air. We can't just stay sunk and drown. Get down there, grab the franchise center, and get the f*** out QUICK. That's the way we pull this off.

If our 1st pick is Wright, and if we use the next seven picks in the top 64, and we use them well, I think we can start pulling out of the rebuild right away. I don't mean start moving young assets for vets. I just mean, stop tanking. We'll have fully stocked cupboards and can focus on getting better.

Keller-Wright-Guenther
Chychrun-Soderstrom
Prosvetov

^ that's a good enough base since we'll also have Hayton, Jenik, Timmins, Maccelli, Kolyachonok, Doan, Moser, Fedotov, Farinacci, the MTL 1st, the COL 1st, and all FIVE 2nds in addition to those six pieces listed above.

That's actually a solid top 23 pieces under 24 years of age. That's a real base with which to build an actual team. Especially if we can continue hanging onto picks, and drafting well, as our selections hopefully slide later and later in each round, with each year.
A lot of "if's", but that is with all rebuilds. In my opinion, any pick outside of the first round you are going on a hope and a prayer they even make the NHL, and if they do, they probably won't be a difference maker, a third or fourth line player most of the time. The organizations with good scouting can find a very good player in the later rounds now and then, and that can be the difference when building a good team. Finding a great player in later rounds is all gravy. All these picks are nice, but what we do with them is much more important. Time will tell if BA and his scouting staff are worth their weight in salt.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Chychrun's play won't decline due to lack of motivation, rather it could decline when every forward on every team will be looking at hitting, slashing, hooking him every chance they get. Chychrun is about to get the OEL treatment. He is the only star on this team and he will have a bulls eye on his back. Injury concerns me more than lack of motivation.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

rt

May 13, 2004
Chychrun's play won't decline due to lack of motivation, rather it could decline when every forward on every team will be looking at hitting, slashing, hooking him every chance they get. Chychrun is about to get the OEL treatment. He is the only star on this team and he will have a bulls eye on his back. Injury concerns me more than lack of motivation.
We should keep one of Imama or O’Brien in the lineup at all times.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
If we don’t pick 1st overall, I think we will tank again. If we do pick 1st overall, I think we’ll stop tanking. It’ll still be a rebuild and we aren’t magically going to be good all of a sudden. But this egregious, brazen tanking stuff will end if we get Wright. If we don’t get Wright, I think we’ll keep it going another year.

The only way out of this is with Wright or Bedard.
I dont fully agree with that. I think the talent in the 2022 draft is absolutely loaded. I think there is elite talent outside of just Wright. I would agree with your statement if all we had was our standard 7 draft picks... but with the sheer amount of high quality picks Armstrong has gathered, I like the Yotes chances on grabbing some high skill players even if they dont get awarded the #1 overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad