Player Discussion Chris Kreider

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Just take a moment to appreciate the franchise history this man made last night.His name is now associated forever with Messier and The G.O.A.T Gretzky...that's some elite shit right there

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
I think the reason why he's been so successful in the playoffs is because the things he's really good at translate perfectly into the post season. Whether it's game 7 in the playoffs or the seventh game of the regular season, he doesn't change his game. Sure the intensity is elevated but it's the same process. Deflect pucks, use your speed, go to the net.
He does way more than that. Kills penalties and is a very good passer. Go back to some earlier games these playoffs and check out some of the assists he got, That no look pass to Zibs in one of the earlier games was a thing of beauty. And oh BTW take a look at the pass that sprung Lindgren on the break away last night where the puck was 99% across the goal line.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
He does way more than that. Kills penalties and is a very good passer. Go back to some earlier games these playoffs and check out some of the assists he got, That no look pass to Zibs in one of the earlier games was a thing of beauty. And oh BTW take a look at the pass that sprung Lindgren on the break away last night where the puck was 99% across the goal line.
He does all that in the regular season too, lol. But when space and time becomes tighter in the post season the stuff he’s best out is what makes the difference. But I agree, he’s a very underrated passer and lethal on the PK

Last edited:

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Crazy to me remembering them drafting him back in 2009. I think I had just recently moved to Baltimore. I remember at that point in the draft most people wanting Jordan Schroeder because he was said to have top 5 skills or something but was falling because of size. I believe some others wanted Josefson (taken after Kreider by NJ) because he was a C with solid upside.
Most saw Kreider as extremely raw but with potential and were wary because he was coming out of a relatively obscure HS program (compared to the programs that players like Crosby went through).
Lotta people kinda freaking out and thinking it was a waste of a pick, salvaged somewhat by the talking heads saying that he was possibly the fastest skater in the draft.

15 damn years later and here we are and what a way he's changed his game and evolved as a player.

Chris Kreider, drafted 19th OA by the NYR:
From his draft class he is 8th OA on points scored. Only ROR (33rd OA) of those above him was drafted outside the top 7. He's also 4th in goals with those above him being drafted 1st, 3rd and 4th OA. Similar placements hold true if you look at the drafts immediately before and after his.

He's come on in the last half of his career but there was never anything wrong with Chris Krieder, just something wrong with some fans' expectations.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Chris Kreider, drafted 19th OA by the NYR:
From his draft class he is 8th OA on points scored. Only ROR (33rd OA) of those above him was drafted outside the top 7. He's also 4th in goals with those above him being drafted 1st, 3rd and 4th OA. Similar placements hold true if you look at the drafts immediately before and after his.

He's come on in the last half of his career but there was never anything wrong with Chris Krieder, just something wrong with some fans' expectations.
Yeah we've had plenty of debates over the years with some people thinking his physical gifts meant that he should be far better than he was...I guess I'd argue he found a way to turn those gifts into better production at a later stage in his career, it just wasn't in the same fashion as most people thought it would be

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Yeah we've had plenty of debates over the years with some people thinking his physical gifts meant that he should be far better than he was...I guess I'd argue he found a way to turn those gifts into better production at a later stage in his career, it just wasn't in the same fashion as most people thought it would be
Well put, and from the 10,000 foot view....Man, he was a great 19th OA pick.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Torts told him he should play more like Carl Hagelin when he first got here.
Torts told him to park his ass in front of the net, but Kreider disagreed and wanted to be cute with puck and got sent down (I agreed with Kreider and thought Torts was being a hard ass)

Last edited:

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
After I took my victory lap the other night, a lot of people responded with "hey man, you've been on the Kreider train from the beginning." The reason why is very simple.

We talk about analytics, and they're not perfect. The Canes spam a bunch of shit and they're still beatable, I get all that.

The larger the sample gets, the more the goals matter. You can expect all you want; you gotta score them. Luck is a huge factor. It's less of a factor as years pass.

This is year 12 for Kreider. Over those 12 years, the Rangers have a share of close to 58% of the goals scored when he's on the ice at 5v5. Is that a lot? Well, to put that in even simpler terms, he is PLUS ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY-NINE!! Imagine outscoring opponents by 139 goals at even strength. That's his body of work.

Even this year, when people would say "oh, Kreider and Zibanejad, the two twins" it was right around that 58% mark when they were on the ice together.

Quite simply, the Rangers kick ass when this man is on the ice. We're long, long past it being an accident.

Some of Kreider's neighbors if you generate reports on this stat over this timeline include Crosby, McDavid, MacKinnon, and Marchand.

And while Chris is a very good scorer, he's not putting up 100+++ points like these guys. And while Zibanejad is also very good, Kreider hasn't played with a bunch of guys where you would go "oh yeah, that makes sense..." like Zach Hyman has. It's Kreider that's making this happen. It follows him around.

Considering he's not on the level of some of his neighbors at scoring, he has to be so doing so much right. Does he make mistakes? Sure. Who among us, right? I think the people who like to get on him put a microscope on it. The defense, the effort, and the puck management have to be there 9 out of 10 times, or you wouldn't be seeing these results.

He is an excellent hockey player.

MyLoveIsBlue

Feb 20, 2015
hockeykriederhats.jpeg

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
After I took my victory lap the other night, a lot of people responded with "hey man, you've been on the Kreider train from the beginning." The reason why is very simple.

We talk about analytics, and they're not perfect. The Canes spam a bunch of shit and they're still beatable, I get all that.

The larger the sample gets, the more the goals matter. You can expect all you want; you gotta score them. Luck is a huge factor. It's less of a factor as years pass.

This is year 12 for Kreider. Over those 12 years, the Rangers have a share of close to 58% of the goals scored when he's on the ice at 5v5. Is that a lot? Well, to put that in even simpler terms, he is PLUS ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY-NINE!! Imagine outscoring opponents by 139 goals at even strength. That's his body of work.

Even this year, when people would say "oh, Kreider and Zibanejad, the two twins" it was right around that 58% mark when they were on the ice together.

Quite simply, the Rangers kick ass when this man is on the ice. We're long, long past it being an accident.

Some of Kreider's neighbors if you generate reports on this stat over this timeline include Crosby, McDavid, MacKinnon, and Marchand.

And while Chris is a very good scorer, he's not putting up 100+++ points like these guys. And while Zibanejad is also very good, Kreider hasn't played with a bunch of guys where you would go "oh yeah, that makes sense..." like Zach Hyman has. It's Kreider that's making this happen. It follows him around.

Considering he's not on the level of some of his neighbors at scoring, he has to be so doing so much right. Does he make mistakes? Sure. Who among us, right? I think the people who like to get on him put a microscope on it. The defense, the effort, and the puck management have to be there 9 out of 10 times, or you wouldn't be seeing these results.

He is an excellent hockey player.

3rd line winger.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Gallant for sure had his faults but Kreider's game really picked up that first year with him. More or less Gerard put what is today's power play unit together (substitute Trocheck for Strome) but he also put Kreider on the penalty kill and that year Chris went from a 20+ goal scorer to a 54 goal scorer and the two years since he was somewhere around 35 last year and 39 this year.....and it's like here's a player entering his 30's who is not declining....he seems to be getting better and better and the thing is I can see Chris going forward a bunch more years-5?, 6?, 7? without decline just because of his skating and being a physical beast. He keeps himself in top shape and his hands for passing, shooting, tipping and deflecting that's not the thing that goes downhill on a player and so many of his goals are close to the net anyway. I think he's going to have another big contract after this one and he's going to do well on it. One other thing playing with high IQ players all the time has also raised his own and we can see that not just in his offensive game but his defensive game too.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Was cleaning out an old dresser that I needed to get rid of and a piece of paper was all the way at the bottom of it. Turned out to be a ticket to a Rangers game.
20240527_183112~3.jpg

Kreider's first career hat trick. Probably going to hang onto this for a bit.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Was cleaning out an old dresser that I needed to get rid of and a piece of paper was all the way at the bottom of it. Turned out to be a ticket to a Rangers game.View attachment 876355

I remember that game like it was yesterday we scored like 3 PP goals on the best PK in the league at the time and won 5-2. It was a big game because everyone wanted to give it to Torts in his first game back, at least I did.

Reactions: bl02 and JimmyG89

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I remember that game like it was yesterday we scored like 3 PP goals on the best PK in the league at the time and won 5-2. It was a big game because everyone wanted to give it to Torts in his first game back, at least I did.
Torts vs AV after they essentially swapped jobs. Kreider got sent to the A at the beginning of the season and got called up rather early on too.

Fans were pissed at Torts giving Kreider a short leash the year before and there were rumblings they didn't get along. Lots of emotions going into that one.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Was cleaning out an old dresser that I needed to get rid of and a piece of paper was all the way at the bottom of it. Turned out to be a ticket to a Rangers game.View attachment 876355

Good stuff. Was there for that one. Wasn't it against Tortorella if I remember correctly?

Yep as others have mentioned it was.

Reactions: JimmyG89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad