GDT: Cesko vs Austria

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Normally I'd say Czechs should win in a dull game. Something like 4-2. However, Austria has beat Finland and put 5 or 6 up on the Swiss and Canada. They seem to be the dark horse of the tourney.

I also would've wanted Mrazek to start today but now I want Dostal cause of this surprising, to me, Austrian offence.

For the Czechs I expect a close game against everyone. So I say this one goes 4-3 Austria in a shootout.

Czechs should ice the exact same lineup. They are also waiting for a Necas announcement today!

Good luck to our friendly neighbors Austria!

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
This will be tough. I have literally never been as concerned about a game against Austria as I am today! They have been impressive, I hope we win. But it would not be embarrassing to lose against this Austrian team, if they reproduce their form against Finland, Switzerland or the third period against Canada. Momentum goes a long way, and they certainly do have momentum.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
No one would've called this being a huge game, but here we are. Hope we can once again show the resilience we've been putting out there

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Normally I'd say Czechs should win in a dull game. Something like 4-2. However, Austria has beat Finland and put 5 or 6 up on the Swiss and Canada. They seem to be the dark horse of the tourney.

I also would've wanted Mrazek to start today but now I want Dostal cause of this surprising, to me, Austrian offence.

For the Czechs I expect a close game against everyone. So I say this one goes 4-3 Austria in a shootout.

Czechs should ice the exact same lineup. They are also waiting for a Necas announcement today!

Good luck to our friendly neighbors Austria!

Sounds like it's Mrázek. Not the choice I would've made but OK...

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Sounds like it's Mrázek. Not the choice I would've made but OK...
I wanted him last game and think they should be split. They are both excellet and deserve a few games before quarters. My preference is dostal but I love Mrazek and Vej.

Poiquets

Oct 17, 2019
I think it will be a blowout win to the Czechs. I would see that Austria is both emotionally and physically out of fuel after such performances versus Canada and Finland. The Head Coach Bader said after yesterday's game that their goal is to preserve their place in the Division A, which was surprising to me (should be to advance to the QF's after those two matces), which also sends me a message that it is not too important to win this match for them.

The players after yesterdays match said that it is time to celebrate the win and enjoy some beer.

3rd match against a top nation in a 4-day span, recovering with beer and facing a well rested Czech team in their home cauldron - I think it will be too much for Austria tonight. Add in to that the fact that Madlener, whose positioning has left much to be desired, is starting the game...

It will be interesting to see how it plays out though. If the Czechs fail to score early on, it could turn out to be a tight game.

Reactions: Czechboy

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Austria has changed it's d zone coverage. Against Canada it was two periods of passive zonal coverage. Today they are going full man to man which requires skating ability and high effort.

Give them credit for making a change and playing this hard on back to backs. As long as the game is close, their energy will be high.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Did anyone else notice that the ref announced a penalty shot to Czechoslovakia? :laugh:

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
If the Czechs win this without going to overtime, that means they're the favourite in the pool, right? Since Austria is obviously better than Finland (my math says 3 goals is more than 2 goals) and roughly equal to Canada (flukey overtime loss is essentially a tie), a Czech win makes them the clear favourite.

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
If the Czechs win this without going to overtime, that means they're the favourite in the pool, right? Since Austria is obviously better than Finland (my math says 3 goals is more than 2 goals) and roughly equal to Canada (flukey overtime loss is essentially a tie), a Czech win makes them the clear favourite.

Switzerland is probably the favorite.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Most posters feel our ceiling is making the quarter... Then being eliminated.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I'll take it but that is a bad call and kubalik with 2 goals in 2 games. Very good news for us and a PP GOAL TOO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad