Can Jack Hughes become the second best player behind Connor McDavid?

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Mcdavid getting dominated by 9 points in his age 26-27 is dreadful

Notice how despite being a McDavid fan, I can highlight things that are not always in his favor and admire the effort from another player, even though it temporarily takes some of his shine off? Take some notes.

We’re two weeks into an ongoing season. Crosby’s embarrassment is forever etched in stone.

Spend some more time with your rank Crosby body pillow and wait to see how this unfolds.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Jason Robertson beat McDavid for player of the month in November 2022 too. I don't recall Robertson fans declaring him better than Matthews or Mackinnon

I’m giving context for what last years scoring race looked like in the beginning, en route to 153 points by McDavid and the closest non-teammate being demolished by 40 points.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I am not saying Robertson is bad or that Hughs is bad. I am saying good players get on streaks. And that doesn't mean you have to start saying they are better than everyone but Mcdavid.

But as I said before, its the golden boy treatment. The same thing happened with Pasternak. Good player and his stock did rise. It just went a little too high and has settled down a bit
bad posters also get on hot streaks. you are fuming right now.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
It really pays to ave your #1 overall pick struggle the first couple of years on their ELC, then have them explode AFTER they signed their 8x8 contract…
the devils were extremly fortunate with hughes and to lesser degree with hischier as well. siegs' is another team friendly contract.

i am not too excited about the two ufa contracts. but overall the cap is still in good shape. if they want to keep tofoli it could get difficult. if mercer doesn't wake up they either can save quite a bit on a long term contra t or bridge him at an even lower figure.

fitz definitely had some lucky bounces with contracts.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Bedard is simply McDavid in 2015. Make of that what you want.
he is not. he is bedard 2023.

they are not close the same type of players and only time will tell, if bedard can adjust his game to the needs of the nhl. i am not doubting his talent. i am not calling him a bust.

but for him to become the best or second best player in the world the stars also have to align. injury, coaching, roster. there are so many things which are out of his control.

DevilDog

The Original Dog
Mar 2, 2007
Dirty Jerz
The answer is no. He is not better or more valuable than Matthews, Bedard or Mackinnon. He's in the Pasternak, Petterson range if that. Just because a player is in a hot steak doesn't mean he's the 2nd best behind Mcdavid. It usually means they are player of the month.

He's certainly gunning to be the NHL's player of the month.
Bedard? Is this a joke?

Pettersson had never broken 90 points​

Trash take of the thread right here.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Does he have potential to be the second best player in the NHL? I don't know how you can honestly say he doesn't. Not that I'm happy about it.

Reactions: pouf pouf

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
he's got balls of steel... constantly dangling and spinning on the offensive blue line with the puck... Gretzky did stuff like that

Reactions: authentic

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
This thread couldn't possibly have aged any worse. The top 5 after McDavid was generally seen as MacK/Drai/Kuch/Matthews/Makar

This year we had

Kuch -144 pts
Mack - 140 tps
Matthews - 69 goals
Drai - 21 pts in 10 playoff games (106 in reg seasons)
Makar - 90 pts and 14 more in 10 playoff games

These guys are far and away better than Hughes, and always were. The disrespect was real from some

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This thread couldn't possibly have aged any worse. The top 5 after McDavid was generally seen as MacK/Drai/Kuch/Matthews/Makar

This year we had

Kuch -144 pts
Mack - 140 tps
Matthews - 69 goals

These guys are far and away better than Hughes, and always were. The disrespect was real from some

The what have you done lately mentality runs this site :laugh:

(Tho Kuc, Mack, Makar and Draisaitl all had great seasons last year)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

This year we had

Kuch -144 pts
Mack - 140 tps
Matthews - 69 goals

Happens every year

Someone goes on a hot/cold streak early and some wild takes come out
We had some posts about McDavid already declining and won’t be a top 5 player for long for Christ sakes lol

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

This year we had

Kuch -144 pts
Mack - 140 tps
Matthews - 69 goals

I don't want to be that guy but the entire point of the thread was "can Jack Hughes become the 2nd best player behind McDavid"? Not is he currently the 2nd best player?

My opinion on this question remains the same, sure he could become the 2nd best player but it's unlikely with the level of talent he'd have to surpass to do it.

Of course there is that section with people getting way too excited about his hot start and the subsequent disrespect directed at certain players.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

This year we had

Kuch -144 pts
Mack - 140 tps
Matthews - 69 goals

Now saying they are far and away better is extreme in the other direction. Absurd to say that.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Jack is a great player. One of a half dozen to a dozen great players. Hard to put them in any firm order. If drafting today McDavid goes 1. After that who knows. Jack could be 2 or 12 if healthy. I do know he is a fun guy to watch play. The sport needs more entertaining players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad