News Article: Athletic "Dysfunction In The Desert" Story

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
At this point…. Arguing over whether bills were unpaid or not is useless.

The NHL flat did not want to stay at Mullett because they were more worried about the optics of playoff games potentially being played over the next 3-5 years there with CBA negotiations around the corner than anything Meruelo was trying to accomplish.

There was another report coming from “sources within the league” that had the Coyotes been a bottom three team and 2-3 more years away from sniffing a playoff position that they would not have felt pressured to make this move and could have rode out the auction.
So we just can't have nice things ever. 6th from the bottom and looking at not a bottom 10 finish next season was too much!

Reactions: Summer Rose

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
They don't watch much of their own league if they thought there might be Mullett playoff games in 2-3 years. 5 years, maybe, if defensive woes were addressed, and Meruelo exhibited nothing that would indicate he would address them.

That might be true. But they were sitting at the top of the wild card list when the rumors first broke.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

So far, they sound believable.

YMMV

- Was woking for the Coyotes when Meruelo took over.
- Admitted they haven't been with the franchise for at least a year.
- Can't confirm some things in the Katie Strang story. But can confirm some, but is unspecific.
- Can't confirm the hotel thing but ASSUMES it was true.

This sounds like the same person who was on Reddit a while back. Claiming Chayka was a nice guy who made bad choices in hockey-ops people. Some of it hearsay, Some of it witnessed first hand.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
But before I pillory Meruelo, I want to see proof. I want to see leaked emails. I want to see sources go on the record. Otherwise, there is no way to defend against accusations that this stuff is a hit job with no basis in fact.

Unfortunately, this isn't a court of law with discovery and evidentiary rules. This is being adjudicated in the court of public opinion.

And anyway, all of this moot until June 27th, when we see if Meruelo is shooting blanks or actually has any ammunition.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Most here try to give you the benefit of the doubt on being this obtuse but sometimes you just make it too hard Jakey. It's not about singular bills being missed being of the utmost importance but rather a pattern of this Owner acting in bad faith and with malice in regards to anyone not in his circle. And when that pattern is easily exposed it reflects poorly on the whole Organization.
You believe what you want. I guess now you can watch your Leafs and no longer can shit on the Coyote's.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why would a hotel employee risk losing their job over this clown show?

Meruelo didn't pay his taxes in Glendale, didn't pay his players their bonuses on time, but somehow him not paying hotel bills isn't believable? Good grief. I'm about halfway to thinking you're Alex Jr. at this point.

P.S. I'm in comment jail on the other thread, but the NBA isn't going to say a word about removing Delta Center seats, the reno won't take 3-5 years, and Meruelo isn't even going to win the June 27 auction so there's no way an arena gets finished in the Valley before SLC does.

In fact, you shouldn't be surprised when he doesn't even bid in the auction.
I guess we ALL shall see June 27.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad