Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Basically
1.1 x 7 years

If they wait till after his birthday (june 24) it jumps to
2.3 x 7 years
If it wasn't for years 4,5, and 6 I would do it and not even worry about it. That said I'd rather pay him 30 million than hold on to him and keep paying him.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If it wasn't for years 4,5, and 6 I would do it and not even worry about it. That said I'd rather pay him 30 million than hold on to him and keep paying him.
With the rising cap, by the time you get to years 4, 5, and 6 it shouldnt be a big deal. The question becomes do you think he rebounds to the overpaid version that he was when he initally signed the contract or does he stay the horrifically overpaid version he is now.

Reactions: Softball99

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I would buy him out if I were LA. I'd rather have the $4.5-7M in cap savings to spend on a player with less skill who always gives 100% than keep giving it to an arguably more skilled Dubois who only ever gives 50%. Keeping a guy around who barely tries or contributes but still gets rewarded with ice time because of his pedigree doesn't send a good message to the rest of the team. Even if he improves, I can't see the Kings going far in the playoffs with him, so you might as well move on now.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think they probably need to see it out for one more season at least with him, though I hate the thought of having to watch him for that long in a Kings sweater. But he did have a slow start when first moving to Winnipeg and then improved a bit. He's a player I don't want near any of my teams, but I think a kneejerk buyout/trade just compounds the already terrible decision to bring him there. Blake should probably be fired either way.

Reactions: bdub24 and Osprey

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I think they probably need to see it out for one more season at least with him, though I hate the thought of having to watch him for that long in a Kings sweater. But he did have a slow start when first moving to Winnipeg and then improved a bit. He's a player I don't want near any of my teams, but I think a kneejerk buyout/trade just compounds the already terrible decision to bring him there. Blake should probably be fired either way.
Yeah I can't see NHL teams actually doing something that insane (outside of Vegas maybe), but it is sort of an interesting thought. It does feel like an inevitability he is bought out or cap dumped before the contract is done though.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Normally, I'd agree and give him another season, but, as demonstrated by herzausstein, a buyout now is a lot more palatable than a buyout later. Also, he had a whole season to get past the "slow start" and never did, and didn't even take it to another level in the playoffs. That just makes it feel to me like next season isn't going to be much different. There's also still the point that I was trying to make before, that he just doesn't feel to me like a good influence to have in the locker room. Regardless, I know that a buyout isn't going to happen, even if Blake is replaced.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Normally, I'd agree and give him another season, but, as demonstrated by herzausstein, a buyout now is a lot more palatable than a buyout later. Also, he had a whole season to get past the "slow start" and never did, and didn't even take it to another level in the playoffs. That just makes it feel to me like next season isn't going to be much different. There's also still the point that I was trying to make before, that he just doesn't feel to me like a good influence to have in the locker room. Regardless, I know that a buyout isn't going to happen, even if Blake is replaced.
Yeah. It's a sunken cost regardless of when it's done, so if it's more beneficial to do now I suppose. Just a brutal couple years of moves.

Mostly this just reminds me how pissed off I am they brought Blake back into the franchise fold, much less letting him steer the ship. f*** that guy.

• Haha
Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Mostly this just reminds me how pissed off I am they brought Blake back into the franchise fold, much less letting him steer the ship. f*** that guy.
Don't tell Kings fans, but I got a chance to speak to Dean Lombardi in the Summer of 2006, right after he took the job of GM, and he casually asked me how fans would feel about bringing back Blake as a player. I told him that they'd object at first, but would get over it once he started putting up points. Well, Blake was signed about a week later, then, years later, was hired by Lombardi to be his Assistant GM, then eventually replaced Lombardi as GM. So, all of this kind of feels like my fault. :laugh: :cry:

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The other thing about doing it now is he has NMCs for the next few years, so if an Expansion Draft comes along, you are stuck protecting him. Getting it done now within the 1/3rd window saves them almost $32M total, and the $1.1M Cap hits on the last 7 years, while annoying for people to see on the books, are a relatively minor Cap inconvenience... for whatever GM happens to be running things then.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Don't tell Kings fans, but, in the Summer of 2006, I got a chance to speak to Dean Lombardi and he asked me how fans would feel about him bringing back Blake as a player and I told him that they'd object at first but get over it once he put up points. Well, he signed him that Summer, then he eventually employed him as Assistant GM, then he was fired and Blake took his job as GM. So, all of this is kind of feels like my fault. :laugh: :cry:
Oh geeez, the LaBarbera/JS Aubin years. I had almost blotted them from my memory completely.

#FroLOVEnotFroLOAF

• Haha
Reactions: Osprey

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
CBJ and their 1C curses ... They get worse at each teade destination. Buyers beware lol
We lucked out in not getting PLD. 3rd highest paid player on their team and almost completely invisible. Don't think the Kings thought they were getting a 4th/5th line centre when they acquired him.

Nice. Toronto/Boston going to game 7.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
We lucked out in not getting PLD. 3rd highest paid player on their team and almost completely invisible. Don't think the Kings thought they were getting a 4th/5th line centre when they acquired him.

Nice. Toronto/Boston going to game 7.
If Boston ends up losing it will be the 2nd year in a row they blew a 3-1 series lead.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Man this Leafs/Bruins game is eerily similar to Preds game yesterday

This is the 3rd straight playoff game 0-0 going into 3rd period

Goals are so tough in games like these

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Cue desperate Torontoians who will offer a Pu-pu platter for Saros. Will they try short change us with 50 Cent on the dollar or $.75 on the dollar?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Cue desperate Torontoians who will offer a Pu-pu platter for Saros. Will they try short change us with 50 Cent on the dollar or $.75 on the dollar?
Nah.. theyre all probably fantasizing about trading Marner who will be due a huge extension soon and didnt do much of anything this playoff series. Or ditching Tavares.

Woll did extremely well when given the net in the playoffs

Reactions: Kat Predator

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Nah.. theyre all probably fantasizing about trading Marner who will be due a huge extension soon and didnt do much of anything this playoff series. Or ditching Tavares.

Woll did extremely well when given the net in the playoffs
Well Tavares isn't going anywhere that is for sure. That full NMC pretty much guarantees that.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'm getting f***ing old. Watching Mark Stone take the weakest of cross checks to his lower back and it setting him into that much pain...please just retire man. I don't find crap like that admirable anymore, it makes me feel sorry for him, and sorry for the impact all his injuries are going to have on his life with his family. Same goes for guys like Josi and the head injuries (especially speaking as someone that has had a couple concussions) at some point going forward. When it's time to quit, take that exit (if not before) and enjoy the highest quality of life you have left. It's just a f***ing game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad