Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Thats what you get if hes not doing a sign and trade, which makes no sense from his perspective.
Depends on the team he would be traded to. I obviously cannot see a trade to teams like CBJ for example. There is no way Mikko re-signs with them. It would have to be a team that has a very good future ahead of them. It might also have to include a 3rd team.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Depends on the team he would be traded to. I obviously cannot see a trade to teams like CBJ for example. There is no way Mikko re-signs with them. It would have to be a team that has a very good future ahead of them. It might also have to include a 3rd team.

If he goes to free agency, he maximizes his value and chooses his team. He has no incentive to do a S&T.

Just stop with this delusion.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Why is it a delusion? CMac wouldn't be doing his job if he doesn't look at it as a serious option.

What a daft reply. What does C Mac have to do with this? Yes, CMac can decide to not pay Rantanen. But then the ball is in Rantanen's court. He has virtually no incentive to do a S&T vs getting to FA from an economics perspective.

CMac can decide to not pay him. And CMac can decide to trade him. But the return is a ball thats in Rantanen's court, and again, basic economics dictates hes better off going to FA...and that diminishes his trade value.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Presumably yes:

Wood - Colton - Kovalenko
LOC - ???? - ????

Is pretty much what they are already committed too.
They signed Wagner to a one-year extension back in the beginning of April. I'd almost pencil him in at 4C.

It sucks. I'd like to keep Walker but I don't see them moving on from Manson and we just can't afford him otherwise. Although I found Duhaime to actually take a step back in the playoffs, I still think Yakov will be cheaper to re-sign, but still ultimately too expensive unless he finds that he REALLY loves the Colorado River.

Got a feeling CMac wasn't joking when he said, "Don't fall in love with the new guys." Mitts is probably it.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
What a daft reply. What does C Mac have to do with this? Yes, CMac can decide to not pay Rantanen. But then the ball is in Rantanen's court. He has virtually no incentive to do a S&T vs getting to FA from an economics perspective.

CMac can decide to not pay him. And CMac can decide to trade him. But the return is a ball thats in Rantanen's court, and again, basic economics dictates hes better off going to FA...and that diminishes his trade value.
I don't know how much more Rants gets you in a sign and trade vs trading him July 1st. July 1st still gives a team a full season for him to adjust and potentially develop a real liking for the city/team and a desire to stay. That would be the plan at least. It's not guaranteed by any means and Mikko might be nuts to not test the market, but then again, this season could have been the start of his decline and a full year without a contract could hurt his value. It certainly isn't going to help his value; he's already valued as the pretty much the best RW in the NHL.

The best thing for everyone involved is to find a reasonable contract that rewards Mikko but also doesn't completely screw the Avs. Cost certainty on July 1st would be such a nice thing for CMac, so the sooner the better.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I don't know how much more Rants gets you in a sign and trade vs trading him July 1st. July 1st still gives a team a full season for him to adjust and potentially develop a real liking for the city/team and a desire to stay. That would be the plan at least. It's not guaranteed by any means and Mikko might be nuts to not test the market, but then again, this season could have been the start of his decline and a full year without a contract could hurt his value. It certainly isn't going to help his value; he's already valued as the pretty much the best RW in the NHL.

The best thing for everyone involved is to find a reasonable contract that rewards Mikko but also doesn't completely screw the Avs. Cost certainty on July 1st would be such a nice thing for CMac, so the sooner the better.

Nice half pregnant post. 👎

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

So you are saying CMac has something to do with this...Your reply might be the daft one....

This summer CMac has everything to do with it. The only thing Mikko has control over this summer besides contract negotiations is his 9-teams NTC. CMac controls where Mikko would go except for those 9 teams. What happens after the deal is the other team's problem and then like you said Mikko would decide what he wants to do. But until then if CMac wants to trade him he can. Mikko might not want to do a sign and trade but that would not stop CMac to trade him if the other team plays ball.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
They signed Wagner to a one-year extension back in the beginning of April. I'd almost pencil him in at 4C.

It sucks. I'd like to keep Walker but I don't see them moving on from Manson and we just can't afford him otherwise. Although I found Duhaime to actually take a step back in the playoffs, I still think Yakov will be cheaper to re-sign, but still ultimately too expensive unless he finds that he REALLY loves the Colorado River.

Got a feeling CMac wasn't joking when he said, "Don't fall in love with the new guys." Mitts is probably it.

How much do we have to shop for with this roster?

Lehkonen - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Mittelstadt - Colton - Nichushkin
Wood - Ritchie - Kovalenko
Tufte - Wagner - O'Connor
Cogliano ($1M)

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Johnson ($1M) - Malinski
Behrens

Georgiev
Annunen

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

Cogliano ($1M)

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Johnson ($1M) - Malinski
Behrens

Georgiev
Annunen

Why is Mittelstadt playing left-wing?

Where is Landeskog?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

With a sign and trade Rantanen could get an 8 year deal, as opposed to only 7 years as an UFA, potentially making an 8 year deal with a sign and trade more lucrative.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
So you are saying CMac has something to do with this...Your reply might be the daft one....

This summer CMac has everything to do with it. The only thing Mikko has control over this summer besides contract negotiations is his 9-teams NTC. CMac controls where Mikko would go except for those 9 teams. What happens after the deal is the other team's problem and then like you said Mikko would decide what he wants to do. But until then if CMac wants to trade him he can. Mikko might not want to do a sign and trade but that would not stop CMac to trade him if the other team plays ball.

What are you even talking about? This was already acknowledged. If Mikko doesn’t do a S&T, the return isn’t likely going to be what many believe. In fact, it may be so underwhelming that the Avs would consider its worth keeping him for the last year. That is unless, the simply trade him for an underwhelming return where mgt agrees with many here that the main benefit is cap space.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
With a sign and trade Rantanen could get an 8 year deal, as opposed to only 7 years as an UFA, potentially making an 8 year deal with a sign and trade more lucrative.

But he doesn’t maximize his value like he would in free agency. And its not like he’s not allowed to play an 8th year if he takes a 7 year deal.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Malinski is fine for call up depth, but until he can play defense and PK… he shouldn’t be anything more than that.

Reactions: GeoRox89

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Cogliano ($1M)

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Johnson ($1M) - Malinski
Behrens

Georgiev
Annunen
A few guys in the wrong positions/on the wrong line, a couple of other guys who should probably retire.

And as @RoyIsALegend said, one other player under contract is not accounted for.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Nichushkin ($6.125m) - MacKinnon ($12.6m) - Rantanen ($9.25m)
Landeskog ($7m) - Mittelstadt (RFA) - Lehkonen ($4.5m)
Wood ($2.5m) - Colton ($4m) - O'Connor ($1.05m)
Kovalenko ($900k) - Wagner ($775k) - ?1
?2/?3

Toews ($7.25m) - Makar ($9m)
Girard ($5m) - Manson ($4.5m)
?4 - ?5
?6

Georgiev ($3.4m)
Annunen ($840k)

--

That's a $78.7m team without including Mittelstadt's ~$6.5m and filling out 5-6 additional spots which includes an entire third pairing of defense.

Internal/signed options for ?1/?2/?3 = Foudy($850k), Ivan($850k), Pavel($870k), Ritchie(not signed yet)

Internal/signed options for ?4/?5/?6 = Behrens($905k), Malinski($850k)

Assume Mitts at $6.5m and $900k each for the open spots, you're looking at a $91m team.

It... doesn't... work.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
this.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad