2024 NHL Entry Draft Discussion, June 28-29th

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Top 10 Mock Draft

San Jose Sharks - 1. Celebrini - This guy has everything you want in a first-overall pick. Easy decision at #1. Will be San Jose's #1C for a long time

Chicago Blackhawks - 2. Levshunov - decent size, right shot, great in the O-zone, great chance to be a top 4 d-man that logs heavy minutes. Bedard paired with Levshunov will help the Hawks the most in becoming a contending team again.

Anaheim Ducks - 3. Demidov - great skater, great hockey sense, confident with the puck and has skills you can't teach. I can't see Anaheim passing on a talent like Demidov, even if they may need another impact D-man.

Columbus Blue Jackets - 4. Bium - I keep flip flopping here between Bium and Catton. I have a feeling the Jackets will end up adding another impact D-prospect. What better guy than Bium, who had unbelievable numbers as a freshman in the NCAA this year. Bium-Werenski and Mateychuk-Jiricek has the potential to be a damn good top 4 in the future.

Montreal Canadiens - 5. Iginla - Another guy who thinks the game well and comes from hockey royalty. This guy could be a Tkachuk-level player. I could see him going in the top 5, because the potential with this player is untapped being one of the younger players in the draft.
Some guys have that extra confidence/swagger in big games, and this kid seems to have it in spades. Montreal needs another impact winger with decent size. I think this is the 1st surprise pick in the the 1st round. I can't see Montreal taking another injury-prone player in Lindstrom when they already got Dach.

Utah HC - 6. Silayev - I have him at #6 due to his size, and the minutes he played on a decent KHL team. I'm worried a bit about his 2nd half. His offensive production at the next level is a real issue. I could see him being a Tyler Myers type player. However, he would be great for what Utah is trying to build, and will fit in with the other Russians they have already drafted. We all know BA loves size on the backend and his Russian prospects.

Ottawa Senators - 7. Parekh - Even though I have this player ranked in the 12-15 range, Ottawa takes him here because he fills a big need for them. Unbelievable player in the O-zone, and would be a huge boon to Ottawa's PP.

Seattle Kraken - 8. Dickinson - Seattle has some decent D prospects in their system, but they don't have a guy like Dickinson. Great two-way player with a strong work ethic. He would log a lot of minutes on the Kraken's backend.

Calgary Flames - 9. Lindstrom - I have Lindstrom dropping due to his back issue. I can't see this kid going outside of the top 10 however. The intangibles and size this guy brings are too hard to pass up. Calgary is weak down the middle. They need an elite Centre man after trading Lindholm, I can't see them passing Lindstrom up at the 9 spot. If this kid's injury issues are behind him, he will be the steal of the draft.

New Jersey Devils - 10. Helenius - Great at anticipating play. He didn't look out of place playing against men this season, even if he is a smaller player. This guy is strong for his size. The Devils are looking to compete now, and Helenius is probably the most pro-ready player after Celebrini.

Last edited:

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Top 10 Mock Draft

San Jose Sharks - 1. Celebrini - This guy has everything you want in a first-overall pick. Easy decision at #1. Will be San Jose's #1C for a long time

Chicago Blackhawks - 2. Levshunov - decent size, right shot, great in the O-zone, great chance to be a top 4 d-man that logs heavy minutes. Bedard paired with Levshunov will help the Hawks the most in becoming a contending team again.

Anaheim Ducks - 3. Demidov - great skater, great hockey sense, confident with the puck and has skills you can't teach. I can't see Anaheim passing on a talent like Demidov, even if they may need another impact D-man.

Columbus Blue Jackets - 4. Bium - I keep flip flopping here between Bium and Catton. I have a feeling the Jackets will end up adding another impact D-prospect. What better guy than Bium, who had unbelievable numbers as a freshman in the NCAA this year. Bium-Werenski and Mateychuk-Jiricek has the potential to be a damn good top 4 in the future.

Montreal Canadiens - 5. Iginla - Another guy who thinks the game well and comes from hockey royalty. This guy could be a Tkachuk-level player. I could see him going in the top 5, because the potential with this player is untapped being one of the younger players in the draft.
Some guys have that extra confidence/swagger in big games, and this kid seems to have it in spades. Montreal needs another impact winger with decent size. I think this is the 1st surprise pick in the the 1st round. I can't see Montreal taking another injury-prone player in Lindstrom when they already got Dach.

Utah HC - 6. Silayev - I have him at #6 due to his size, and the minutes he played on a decent KHL team. I'm worried a bit about his 2nd half. His offensive production at the next level is a real issue. I could see him being a Tyler Myers type player. However, he would be great for what Utah is trying to build, and will fit in with the other Russians they have already drafted. We all know BA loves size on the backend and his Russian prospects.

Ottawa Senators - 7. Parekh - Even though I have this player ranked in the 12-15 range, Ottawa takes him here because he fills a big need for them. Unbelievable player in the O-zone, and would be a huge boon to Ottawa's PP.

Seattle Kraken - 8. Dickinson - Seattle has some decent D prospects in their system, but they don't have a guy like Dickinson. Great two-way player with a strong work ethic. He will log a lot of minutes on the Kraken's backend.

Calgary Flames - 9. Lindstrom - I have Lindstrom dropping due to his back issue. I can't see this kid going outside of the top 10 however. The intangibles and size this guy brings are too hard to pass up. Calgary is weak down the middle. They need an elite Centre man after trading Lindholm, I can't see them passing Lindstrom up at the 9 spot. If this kid's injury issues are behind him, he will be the steal of the draft.

New Jersey Devils - 10. Helenius - Might be the most pro-ready player available after Celebrini. Great at anticipating play. He didn't look out of place playing against men this season, even if he is a smaller player. This guy is strong for his size. The Devils are looking to compete now, and Helenius is probably the most pro-ready player after Celebrini.
Good stuff but I very much believe the Lindstrom being "injury-prone" thing is overplayed. He broke a hand, it healed and had a back injury that healed. He's fine.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I would just go with Dickinson and stay away from any Russian players at least for 1st pick. Definitely see defenseman being drafted 90% guarantee. Parekh be okay as well but I'm pretty sure they will draft Dickinson unless they end up doing something unexpected.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I would just go with Dickinson and stay away from any Russian players at least for 1st pick. Definitely see defenseman being drafted 90% guarantee. Parekh be okay as well but I'm pretty sure they will draft Dickinson unless they end up doing something unexpected.

Honestly moving to SLC with a culture that may not seem familiar to Russians (or maybe it would be similar to Russian Orthodox populations, not sure) I think the more Russians on the team the better.
1. We got two top 12 picks who are Russian. We NEED them to come over. The more comrades (see what I did that) they have the better.
2. Helps with the culture change, language barrier, and makes it more attractive to come over.
3. Gives us an advantage of scouting and drafting in Russia. WSH has always been able to keep a pipeline because of the Ovi/Russian effect. TBL and DET found franchise changing players from Russia because it's less scouted. I want every advantage we can find to build a better team and not being afraid to scout and draft Russians has been something we have done since BA's first draft. I'm all for keeping that up.

FYI I prefer Dickinson to Silayev, but not because one is in NA and the other is not.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Good stuff but I very much believe the Lindstrom being "injury-prone" thing is overplayed. He broke a hand, it healed and had a back injury that healed. He's fine.
You might be right, but I heard Lindstrom had a herniated disk. If that is true than that is a majory injury that a lot of athletes don't look the same after.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Using this fun little tool Draft Simulator
I did 2 drafts. One without trades and one with trades:

Without trades:

6 - Anton Silayev D
38 - Jett Luchanko C
49 - Tomas Galvas D
63 - Carter George G
71 - Stian Solberg D
89 - John Whipple D
90 - Julius Miettinen C
98 - Emil Vinni G
103 - Owen Allard C
135 - Eriks Mateiko RW
167 - David Svozil D
192 - Yegor Klimovich LW
199 - Adam Kral D

With trades:

6, 199 to CGY for 9, 29, 41
29, 41, 49 to MIN for 15
38, 71, 98 to DET for 47, 49

9 - Anton Silayev D
15 - Carter Yakemchuk D
47 - Brodie Zimmer RW
49 - Yegor Surin RW
63 - Carter George G
89 - Jesse Pulkinnen D
90 - Julius Miettinen C
103 - Ondrej Kos LW
135 - John Parsons G
167 - Tory Pitner D
192 - Miro Satan C
That thing is a cool tool but I’m always annoyed by how unrealistic their rankings are. I wish they’d do a combined ranking or something.

Honestly moving to SLC with a culture that may not seem familiar to Russians (or maybe it would be similar to Russian Orthodox populations, not sure) I think the more Russians on the team the better.
1. We got two top 12 picks who are Russian. We NEED them to come over. The more comrades (see what I did that) they have the better.
2. Helps with the culture change, language barrier, and makes it more attractive to come over.
3. Gives us an advantage of scouting and drafting in Russia. WSH has always been able to keep a pipeline because of the Ovi/Russian effect. TBL and DET found franchise changing players from Russia because it's less scouted. I want every advantage we can find to build a better team and not being afraid to scout and draft Russians has been something we have done since BA's first draft. I'm all for keeping that up.

FYI I prefer Dickinson to Silayev, but not because one is in NA and the other is not.
I especially think we should target Surin specifically by attempting to trade up. Not just any Russian but another Loko kid who’s splayed with Simashev and But for years.

Pretty sure that Bill isn't worried about the Russian factor. His new boss and that boss's boss might have some concerns.
Reading Danny Brieres most recent quote saying the flyers don’t know if or when Michkov will come over and that they’ve had no contact with him since the draft is extremely alarming.

rt

May 13, 2004
I just like Dickinson more as a prospect regardless. Silayev being Russian doesn’t even have to factor into that.

I’m thinking back over the last decade or so, and I’m struggling to come up with a defensive defenseman who doesn’t contribute much offense and can’t help a PP that’s ever been worth a top 6 pick. It’s got to be a small list.

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

May 13, 2004
I’m worried enough about Simashev. I don’t need to double down on a clone with yet another top six pick.

I have Silayev top ten and I like him. But he’s not in my top six for similar (though opposite) reasons as Parekh.

With a top six pick I want a player who can help inall three zones, up a man or down a man, and up a goal or down a goal. I see that in Buium and Dickinson which is why I have them top five. I see that a little less in Levshunov and Yakemchuk which is why I have them one tier behind. And with Silayev and Parekh I see guys who have so much development ahead of them to get to that point that I’m willing to gamble, but closer to 10th than 5th.

rt

May 13, 2004
You can gamble on tools (size, strength, skating, athleticism) or on talent (passing, shooting and puck skills) or on track record (results, successes, production). Some players have so much of one that you can overlook where they’re deficient in the others. That’s a gamble. Like Parekh or Silayev. Some players have all of it. Like Dickinson. It’s best not to overthink it. If you have a player fall to you that’s extremely good in every facet and has very very few deficiencies, just do the obvious thing and take them.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
That thing is a cool tool but I’m always annoyed by how unrealistic their rankings are. I wish they’d do a combined ranking or something.
Agreed. They usually do another revised one right before the draft with Bob Mckenzie rankings that is usually pretty accurate.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
The one defenseman projected in our range I do not want at all is Zayne Parekh. Sure, he scored a ton of points in junior. But his defensive stoutness is so bad - he got bullied by 160 pounders on defense at the junior level - that he'd have to be the next Erik Karlsson for the offense to make up for it.

I think we definitely go defense at 6. My order of preference would be 1. Silayev 2. Levshunov 3. Buium 4. Dickinson 5. Yakemchuk 6. Parekh

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Reading Danny Brieres most recent quote saying the flyers don’t know if or when Michkov will come over and that they’ve had no contact with him since the draft is extremely alarming.
I think that might be Briere's style of developing prospects. It was the same thing with Cutter Gauthier wasn't it?

Bill's style of developing prospects is at the other end of the spectrum. His staff is hyper-involved.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
If you're wanting Parekh then you're likely better off just moving up and taking a gamble on Hutson instead of using a top 10 pick.
Skip the gamble for later

Would be very happy walking out of the first two rounds with

Buium or Dickinson
Hutson (nice gamble)
Surin/Ritchie
Gridin

rt

May 13, 2004
The one defenseman projected in our range I do not want at all is Zayne Parekh. Sure, he scored a ton of points in junior. But his defensive stoutness is so bad - he got bullied by 160 pounders on defense at the junior level - that he'd have to be the next Erik Karlsson for the offense to make up for it.

I think we definitely go defense at 6. My order of preference would be 1. Silayev 2. Levshunov 3. Buium 4. Dickinson 5. Yakemchuk 6. Parekh
I also have Parekh 6th for D but I’ve still got him in my top 12 and I think he’s a really good prospect, and I think he’ll probably go 7th or 8th.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
If you're wanting Parekh then you're likely better off just moving up and taking a gamble on Hutson instead of using a top 10 pick.
Skip the gamble for later

Would be very happy walking out of the first two rounds with

Buium or Dickinson
Hutson (nice gamble)
Surin/Ritchie
Gridin

Surin is probably going top 25-ish with the playoffs he's had and the whole package of smarts, heart, snarl, size/strength, decent skating, and underrated skill that he has.

To add, I actually think Surin might possibly be the single most physically-punishing player available in this year's draft, as indicated by the sheer magnitude and quantity of hits he laid in the MHL this year.

Ergo, unless you trade-up for him by sacrificing second-rounders for next year I don't think he's gonna last until Utah picks in the second-round if you are also trading-up and drafting Hutson in the first.

And while he's a completely different player, the same also applies for Ritchie. Though in his case I could see him slip to the late first-round.

In my opinion, the smart move by Utah would be to luck-out, not overthink it, and just get Dickinson at #6, the #1 D in the draft for me (and third-best prospect in the draft overall in my opinion).

Seriously, the guy is as close to a slamdunk future top-4 D as you can get while still a prospect.

And what's ridiculous is that I can perfectly see Dickinson becoming a top PP option at the NHL level with progression here and there given how well he holds the line, finds/creates lanes, and distributes the puck out there. He wouldn't be your main playmaker on that PP unit, but I personally think he'd thrive playing as a connector for more purely-talented players like Keller, Cooley, Guenther, and Maccelli.

Then you look at Dickinson's sky-high defensive potential, the silky-smooth skating, the frame, the strength, the smarts, the raw athleticism, and the dedication to the game/intangibles that he exhibits and as I've said, it's just a no-brainer pick considering Arizona has needs at both LD and RD.

I'll go even farther; It might just be me, but I actually think Dickinson is not only "safer" and more advanced defensively than Levshunov, but I also think that his top-end potential beats-out Levshunov's.

I'll close this statement by saying that I genuinely see shades of Pietrangelo in Dickinson's game and would be 100% willing for the Habs, my favorite team that's already overloaded in D everywhere, to draft him at #5 if Demidov has been taken before.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
Surin is probably going top 25-ish with the playoffs he's had and the whole package of smarts, heart, snarl, size/strength, decent skating, and underrated skill that he has.

To add, I actually think Surin might possibly be the single most physically-punishing player available in this year's draft, as indicated by the sheer magnitude and quantity of hits he laid in the MHL this year.

Ergo, unless you trade-up for him by sacrificing second-rounders for next year I don't think he's gonna last until Utah picks in the second-round if you are also trading-up and drafting Hutson in the first.

And while he's a completely different player, the same also applies for Ritchie. Though in his case I could see him slip to the late first-round.

In my opinion, the smart move by Utah would be to luck-out, not overthink it, and just get Dickinson at #6, the #1 D in the draft for me (and third-best prospect in the draft overall in my opinion).

Seriously, the guy is as close to a slamdunk future top-4 D as you can get while still a prospect.

And what's ridiculous is that I can perfectly see Dickinson becoming a top PP option at the NHL level with progression here and there given how well he holds the line, finds/creates lanes, and distributes the puck out there. He wouldn't be your main playmaker on that PP unit, but I personally think he'd thrive playing as a connector for more purely-talented players like Keller, Cooley, Guenther, and Maccelli.

Then you look at Dickinson's sky-high defensive potential, the silky-smooth skating, the frame, the strength, the smarts, the raw athleticism, and the dedication to the game/intangibles that he exhibits and as I've said, it's just a no-brainer pick considering Arizona has needs at both LD and RD.

I'll go even farther; It might just be me, but I actually think Dickinson is not only "safer" and more advanced defensively than Levshunov, but I also think that his top-end potential beats-out Levshunov's.

I'll close this statement by saying that I genuinely see shades of Pietrangelo in Dickinson's game and would be 100% willing for the Habs, my favorite team that's already overloaded in D everywhere, to draft him at #5 if Demidov has been taken before.
I’ve got Dickinson 4th and Surin 15th. I’d be thrilled to get both (Dickinson at 6th & Surin by trading 38th & 49th for a late 1st).

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Buium doesn’t have Dickinson’s size. Levshunov doesn’t have Dickinson’s smarts. Yakemchuk doesn’t have Dickinson’s skating. Silayev doesn’t have Dickinson’s skills. And Parekh? That’s whole other conversation. lol.
Dickenson is the whole package for sure. He will be a top 4 200 foot Dman for the next 15 years.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Teams got more than enough ammo to trade up. It's almost a guarantee that they will. You don't want to be losing players because you don't have enough contract slots to sign them. On top of that Russians haven't typically been moving up in drafts (unless BA is picking obviously)
There is a very fair chance Surin slips to 38 in the second.. but if he is your guy and you're scared he doesn't make it. Trade up.. a third might even be enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad