Prospect Info: 2023 1st Rd Selection - #28 OA (via BOS, WSH) - C, Easton Cowan [London Knights, OHL; [Height 5.11 -- Weight 185]

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I've no idea what metrics that particular guy is using in his model, BUT it's worth noting that the broad consensus at the time was he was a bit of a left field selection

The Leafs must have some interesting things for their internal modles
I'm guessing it was due to watching him play.

If we're realistic, there is limited money for physically scouting players.

Spreadsheets are good for crunching numbers, they you don't build a house by checking lumber prices at HomeDepot.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Knights consecutive game scoring record now belongs to the Cowboy, 26 games 20G 29A.

Cowan is second in team scoring with 77 points over 44 games. He's 5 points behind Denver Barkley who has 9 more appearences

Its looking like he might be a good one and his Leafs rookie and training camp was no mirage. Hes been playing 5v5, pp, pk he is doing it all for London who are leading the O and maybe heading for a Memorial Cup.
Considering elite players like Perry, Marner, Tkachuk, Domi played for the knights along with their historic history, that is an amazing accomplishment

I think he's another example of why we can't whine and complain about every draft pick 30 seconds after they are taken. Especially when some spent 30 seconds reading Bob's top list or watched one TSN draft hit and had their minds made up. Or just checked HockeyDB for stats, height and weight and it didn't meet their criteria.
I was one of them.

Now I'm eating crow.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I'm guessing it was due to watching him play.

If we're realistic, there is limited money for physically scouting players.

Spreadsheets are good for crunching numbers, they you don't build a house by checking lumber prices at HomeDepot.
I mean, you could argue you build a house by first studying material science, pricing out materials, factoring in labour costs, space, etc.

Sometimes you do just need to go to see the job site - figure out the square footage, the layout, what you have to play with, what quality of lumber you've been given, etc. But sometimes you just get the measurements and materials list, talk to others who have done similar builds, and follow the blueprints based on your experience and the research people have done before you.

That's all your scouting.
The development of the actual player is the house building.
And that build is going to take longer depending on what you started with at the job site, and how much you want to invest into it.

Of course, it's nice to check out the player in person (a combination of stats, research, and first-hand observation will ALWAYS be best), but sometimes you can check the lumber prices at Home Depot and it gives you a pretty good idea on if it's worth investing in the job or not.

The real trick is digging through the spreadsheets of labour costs, project timelines, available materials, similar builds, etc. and then deciding which job sites are worth your time to check out before you start building!

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Can't tell if you are serious or not.

Getting a first for Sandin was some shrewd business. He is a LD. Is he playing ahead of Rielly, Brodie or Benoit right now if we have him?

He has now getting ice time , even some PP in Washington. He has 18 points (14 ES) all season. He is a large minus and he is not driving possession either.

I don't think Washington could get a late first rounder this year for him.

I also think this was a Wes Clark pick and not a Tre pick. I really don't know you could suggest otherwise.
I was shocked we got a 1st rounder. I just felt at that point his development was not quite up to what another team would pay a 1st for. I would have thought at most he'd garner a late 2nd in return.

I was also shocked at how pissed this board was at the deal. Sandin wasn't really hyped up here too much. Many felt he was small and slow. But I also do find this board tends to crap on guys but then the second they get traded, they are like, "Hey wait a minute.... No!"

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I've no idea what metrics that particular guy is using in his model, BUT it's worth noting that the broad consensus at the time was he was a bit of a left field selection

Ya, eyes

Reactions: ULF_55

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I was shocked we got a 1st rounder. I just felt at that point his development was not quite up to what another team would pay a 1st for. I would have thought at most he'd garner a late 2nd in return.

I was also shocked at how pissed this board was at the deal. Sandin wasn't really hyped up here too much. Many felt he was small and slow. But I also do find this board tends to crap on guys but then the second they get traded, they are like, "Hey wait a minute.... No!"
We were never going to pay Sundin what he thought he was worth. He wasn't progressing.We win that trade hands down.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I mean, you could argue you build a house by first studying material science, pricing out materials, factoring in labour costs, space, etc.

Sometimes you do just need to go to see the job site - figure out the square footage, the layout, what you have to play with, what quality of lumber you've been given, etc. But sometimes you just get the measurements and materials list, talk to others who have done similar builds, and follow the blueprints based on your experience and the research people have done before you.

That's all your scouting.
The development of the actual player is the house building.
And that build is going to take longer depending on what you started with at the job site, and how much you want to invest into it.

Of course, it's nice to check out the player in person (a combination of stats, research, and first-hand observation will ALWAYS be best), but sometimes you can check the lumber prices at Home Depot and it gives you a pretty good idea on if it's worth investing in the job or not.

The real trick is digging through the spreadsheets of labour costs, project timelines, available materials, similar builds, etc. and then deciding which job sites are worth your time to check out before you start building!

Yes, and then look at the talent of your builder.

Our house was built in 1996, and we had it re-sided about 10 years later due to a flying debris.

Anyway, the siding company commented that whoever built our house did a better job. Made comments about other builders houses they had worked on being suspect.

Not all scouts are created equal.

Where Bergman go anyway?

Reactions: uncleben

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

I do think he had some strong underlying analytics but was also a late riser with a strong second half/playoff with the Knights, where he was given bigger role from Hunter (which is a good compliment).

Anyway I think Wes Clark had a lot of intel on this kid .. his first 1st round pick, so he did a lot of research. I would wager he had the strongest influence in the selection.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I do think he had some strong underlying analytics but was also a late riser with a strong second half/playoff with the Knights, where he was given bigger role from Hunter (which is a good compliment).

Anyway I think Wes Clark had a lot of intel on this kid .. his first 1st round pick, so he did a lot of research. I would wager he had the strongest influence in the selection.

Oh, I'm guessing here, but I'm sure he had more than numbers to go by.

It's like that projection calculator, nonNHL League to NHL.

If people were machines that would be enough.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Tre wasn’t even involved with that pic lol
Tre signing *. "Tre" was equivalent to "non-dubas team".

Sandin trade was brutal. Lil-Sandin was putting up best 3rd pair in league numbers. It is fitting a non-dubas team saved the trade is all I mean since Dubas made the trade and left.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

My first gut reaction to that pick was, what the heck is this pick? followed by a quick YouTube search where it looked like Cowan was a little pepper pot who pinballed around the ice with boundless energy, had great hands and cheeky finish.

His stats line looked pretty mediocre but very quickly I was thinking, Brayden Point project pick and have loved the pick ever since. Edit, actually I thought Yanni Gourde. And Kerfoot, but in a good way.

So I think the model would be the eye test plus probably some positive feedback from the Knights on what this guy is all about. It’s obvious when you watch him.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
My first gut reaction to that pick was, what the heck is this pick? followed by a quick YouTube search where it looked like Cowan was a little pepper pot who pinballed around the ice with boundless energy, had great hands and cheeky finish.

His stats line looked pretty mediocre but very quickly I was thinking, Brayden Point project pick and have loved the pick ever since.

So I think the model would be the eye test plus probably some positive feedback from the Knights on what this guy is all about. It’s obvious when you watch him.
Point had more skill than Cowan IMO at the same stage. They both do have drive and a chip on their shoulder, I would say something like a Kadri who has a gear to just want to get things rolling.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Point had more skill than Cowan IMO at the same stage. They both do have drive and a chip on their shoulder, I would say something like a Kadri who has a gear to just want to get things rolling.

I think Point was a much worse skater in junior to the extent it would limit his pro game... I didn't put in any time watching Moose Jaw hockey obviously but that's the literature on him anyway. But since then he's turned into a speedy, compact, good edgework guy a la Barb Underhill.

Cowan's handles, skating and mechanics are a little different than Kadri's. Kadri likes the long stick and has a funny blend of choppy to really smooth dekes and that underpowered spindly hopping skating stride, but Cowan seems more compact and integrated in his stride, power, puckhandling to passing and shooting.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

Everyone on the list is D+2 except Kyrou and Cowan.

Cowan just scored to tie Kyrou for the OHL record for D+1 players.

U just can't trade him .there is nothing left to trade for that can help the leafs enough to go all in
Stupid is a stupid does they say lol

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
It will be interesting to see what they do with him next season. Probably too good for the OHL but I would like to see him battled tested before he goes to the NHL imo.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I'm expecting this board to be head over heels with him when he gets the typical veteran Knights player points bump, and not much will have actually changed as far as projections going forward. As said, with the Knights it is rare for a kid to be at the very top of the line-up at 17. In recent years it's basically limited to Marner, Juolevi and Domi off the top of my head (M. Tkachuk if you count late-birthdays), even Bo Horvat while in an important role was the 2nd line center I believe in his draft year, and he's a guy whose stock I remember jumping up due to his playoff performance.

@93LEAFS

I always enjoy reading your low key and insightful posts.

Did Cowan exceed your expectations so far to date?

Reactions: 93LEAFS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad