Player Discussion Vincent Trocheck

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
The best Rangers UFA signing ever. I don't remember the last time a UFA was underpaid. You can say Panarin is better, but Bread gets double the cap hit. Tro is unbelievable for the money he gets. Instead of coasting once he got his big pay day, he just got better. He's very much a first line player.

Last edited:

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
Ya know, due to having a much older (85 year old dad when he passed in September) who was a life long Rangers fan, even through his teens and twenties when he first moved from Italy to Montreal in like 1952, I often had conversation with him where we would equated modern players to players in the 80’s and 90’s. Like who is the modern John Leclair, who is the modern Phil Housley etc, I always tend to think of modern players in relation to players from those eras.

Vinny Trochek to me is so much like the modern day Mark Messier. Super talented playmaker with a nose for the net, while being a “bull in a china shop”. His physical play makes him so difficult to play against but unlike so many players that have that particular skill, Vinny has nasty on ice IQ, and can find the net with goals via a pretty legit (but maybe not elite) shot selection.

This guy is a godsend for our squad, and I couldn’t be happier with his play game in and game out.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I love him, but Laf is the next captain of this team. Fox already turned it down. It’s Lafs time. He’ll have that C for a decade.

Troch has redeemed himself after that abomination last year. What a gem of a player he’s been for us, playing the best hockey of his life here.
I believe it would be a huge mistake to put that burden on Laf at 22 or anywhere close to 22.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I believe it would be a huge mistake to put that burden on Laf at 22 or anywhere close to 22.

Worked for Landeskog, no? And Laf is far and away the better player - already.

I think when trouba goes, he’ll be ready.

However , I agree Troch would be a suitable stopgap cap.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Worked for Landeskog, no? And Laf is far and away the better player - already.

I think when trouba goes, he’ll be ready.

However , I agree Troch would be a suitable stopgap cap.
I do not think the captain role is about who is the better player. For every young captain that thrives in the role I can name at least a handful that do not. I felt it was a burden for both Dave Maloney and Brian Leetch as NYR.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I do not think the captain role is about who is the better player. For every young captain that thrives in the role I can name at least a handful that do not. I felt it was a burden for both Dave Maloney and Brian Leetch as NYR.

I just can’t see Kreids/Fox AND Laf not being ready.

I think the boy will do just fine for the next decade. He has overcome more than any player on the team.

*also, to keep it on topic, Troch rulez.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I just can’t see Kreids/Fox AND Laf not being ready.

I think the boy will do just fine for the next decade. He has overcome more than any player on the team.

*also, to keep it on topic, Troch rulez.
Kreider didn't want it when young. Its not about play. Its about the feel in the locker room. Could Laf do it in the future? Sure but its not likely a 22 year old Laf wants to be telling guys in their 30s right what to do right now. Especially not guys like Kreider or Bread. I have always felt like the best choice for a team captain is the choice the players make themselves. CK has acted like a captain for years. The team looks to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad