Proposal: Tavares and the Hawks make sense

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
His play would have to fall off pretty dramatically to get offers that low. Look at what Marleau got from the Leafs, and Giroux got from the Sens. You‘re looking at 6.5 over 3 years. Maybe he works with them, but anything under 5 is a fantasy.
I don't expect him to get under 5M, he's still valuable. I just meant like the guy absolutely wants to stay here more than anything, he'll be back on a cheap team friendly deal. You'd be silly not to re-sign him at 5M ish.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
His play would have to fall off pretty dramatically to get offers that low. Look at what Marleau got from the Leafs, and Giroux got from the Sens. You‘re looking at 6.5 over 3 years. Maybe he works with them, but anything under 5 is a fantasy.

Giroux and Marleau are / have always been excellent skaters.

Tavares is obviously a fair bit younger than Marleau was, but I think there's probably a greater concern for Tavares' long term projections given how the game continues to get faster and faster, and that his skating has never been spectacular.

Could he get $6m x 3 from a rebuilding team? maybe, but I'm not so sure he wants to do that. I'd imagine that he's looking at contenders only.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Buyout Cap hit: $10,393,334

He's also get like 95% of his salary (since it's almost all bonus $$$) and then go wherever he wants with a new contract - thus making more money for that year.

That's an easy bluff to call for JT.
This board has a strange habit of just flat out ignoring conditions in a player contract in order to get fantasy deals done. JT having a contract that is basically buyout proof AND a full NMC is well documented.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad