OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions 2023 Thread

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess Rourke has earned a lot more cash than he'd have made staying in the CFL for another season.

But it's hard at this point to see his move the NFL as anything other than a disappointment. He's now on his third team, after Jacksonville signed him and obviously never intended to ever play him. He was scooped up on waivers by New England, but never got any reps there either.

Now he's with the New York Giants--who see him as little more than practice roster fodder at this point. So much about playing in the NFL is about 'opportunity'. And some college hotshot that a team drafts and pumps the tires on, will always get more opportunities even if they fail, over and over again.

Rourke is this undrafted kid who played in a pro league north of the border on a big field, with rules that almost nobody in America understands. He might as well be a QB from Aussie Rules Football.

Sadly, Rourke still has a long road ahead of him to earn the credibility he needs to get on the field somewhere.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I guess Rourke has earned a lot more cash than he'd have made staying in the CFL for another season.

But it's hard at this point to see his move the NFL as anything other than a disappointment. He's now on his third team, after Jacksonville signed him and obviously never intended to ever play him. He was scooped up on waivers by New England, but never got any reps there either.

Now he's with the New York Giants--who see him as little more than practice roster fodder at this point. So much about playing in the NFL is about 'opportunity'. And some college hotshot that a team drafts and pumps the tires on, will always get more opportunities even if they fail, over and over again.

Rourke is this undrafted kid who played in a pro league north of the border on a big field, with rules that almost nobody in America understands. He might as well be a QB from Aussie Rules Football.

Sadly, Rourke still has a long road ahead of him to earn the credibility he needs to get on the field somewhere.
I believe players get like $12K USD per week if they are on a Practice squad. So, that's $216K USD or $285K CAD give or take. don't recall if he was ever on the 53 man roster which would have tripled (at least) his weekly salary.

But, correct on him being considered a camp arm. It was vital that he chose a team that would believe in him last summer. Jax just wasn't it. Lawrence was going into year 3. Unlikely that they go with an unproven QB.
NFL teams value game experience. I do not think much of Beatherd, but he and Mullens are milking the 2 years they got starts because of Hoyer and Jimmy G getting hurt.

In NYG, he's either 3rd or 4th string. Jones and Lock are 1 and 2. Like I said earlier, only if Jones is out for a while recovering from the acl would that open up more snaps in pre-season and camp for Rourke. He has to either ball out in the game or kill it in the meeting room.

Reactions: Lindgren

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Anyone else looking forward to the CFL season? My fiancé and I watch all the games and are Bombers ST holders. We went to a game in October 2022 and really enjoyed the atmosphere. It sucked that Rourke was injured.

I too am a Blue Bombers fan, growing up in the peg that's all we looked forward too when summer hit. Also, it was a good time trashing Rider fans whenever they came over to gloat about Rider Pride and whatever the **** they were barking about.

New season, new games. I have a soft spot for the CFL.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Lions looking good tonight. The entire panel picked the Lions to win the cup this year. I don't recall ever seeing unanimous predictions like that so that's probably the kiss of death..

Adams looked great but he will need to string some good games together before I believe in him. I think I said last year we will never win the cup with Adams as QB. I've softened on that a little but he has to be more consistent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad