Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I think that line lacks playmaking though. All 3 guys are more goal scorers than they are setup guys.
Playmaking is less essential in the typical construction of bottom 6 lines. Obviously in an ideal world you have that balance, but the role of the 3rd or 4th line is typically either as a defensive/matchup line or as an energy/crash and bang line.

Maltby-McCarty-Draper
Moen-Pahlsson-Niedermayer
Campbell-Paille-Thornton
Holik-Peluso-McKay
Staal-Cooke-Kennedy

These were some of the best 3rd lines in recent NHL history. None of these lines had anyone you could describe as a "playmaker" per se. Third lines don't need playmaker as much as our scoring lines because the offense they produce is not typically via a direct, possession game, but through turnovers created by a physical forecheck, dump and chase, and cycle game. Their job is to create havoc and chaos and soften up the defense. With their size and skating the line I proposed could be dominant in that style.

Of course, you could run three scoring lines if you want, but that seems more like a Dubas strategy than something Tre or Berube would do. Tre even singled out Nic Dowd as the kind of third line centre he wants, and he is by no means a playmaker.

Reactions: Gabriel426

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Playmaking is less essential in the typical construction of bottom 6 lines. Obviously in an ideal world you have that balance, but the role of the 3rd or 4th line is typically either as a defensive/matchup line or as an energy/crash and bang line.

Maltby-McCarty-Draper
Moen-Pahlsson-Niedermayer
Campbell-Paille-Thornton
Holik-Peluso-McKay
Staal-Cooke-Kennedy

These were some of the best 3rd lines in recent NHL history. None of these lines had anyone you could describe as a "playmaker" per se. Third lines don't need playmaker as much as our scoring lines because the offense they produce is not typically via a direct, possession game, but through turnovers created by a physical forecheck, dump and chase, and cycle game. Their job is to create havoc and chaos and soften up the defense. With their size and skating the line I proposed could be dominant in that style.

Of course, you could run three scoring lines if you want, but that seems more like a Dubas strategy than something Tre or Berube would do. Tre even singled out Nic Dowd as the kind of third line centre he wants, and he is by no means a playmaker.

I don't think your bottom 6 can be a black hole offensively, they need to contribute.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I don't think your bottom 6 can be a black hole offensively, they need to contribute.
Where did I say it should be a "black hole" offensively? I said they don't need a designated playmaker and gave you examples of very good third lines that did exactly that. Minten's playmaking ability is sufficient for what we need, and no line with the scoring potential of Knies and McMann is going to be a black hole like say the Kampf/Reaves line.

Reactions: horner and arso40

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think that line lacks playmaking though. All 3 guys are more goal scorers than they are setup guys.
Playmakers need goalscorers to be effective, one dimensional snipers need player makers to be effective, but while they can benefit from a playmaker finding them in space complete players that will get their hands dirty and happen to have great shots will get the job done regardless

Last edited:

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Knies
McMann
Have made the leap

Next up : who sticks next from Marlies?
Holmberg (for good?)
Steeves: like to see him get a longer look
Kokkonen: rounding into that solid 6/7 D?
Niemela: needs to have a big leap in development year.

Other Rookies
Minten:
Cowan:
Grebyokin:
Chadwick:
Webber:

Will Berube be willing to stick with a few young guys and put up with some mistakes?
I’m counting on Homberg, Dewar and NickRob cementing roles.
Greb and Cowan can force the issue with big camps.
Niemela, I don’t think the issue is so much development as it is frame. Smart kid, lots of pro experience, but pretty slight.
I hope Steeves can stick. He’s got some versatility. I wonder if he doesn’t end up part of deals this off-season.
More on the D side, I wonder if Marshall Rifai gets some games. Also a smart guy, decent size, late bloomer, didn’t look out of place during his cup of coffee. Or maybe an add-on to deals.
And Nick Abruzzese might get a sniff if MM is dealt; kids a bit of a PP wizard.

Reactions: arso40

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I’m counting on Homberg, Dewar and NickRob cementing roles.
Greb and Cowan can force the issue with big camps.
Niemela, I don’t think the issue is so much development as it is frame. Smart kid, lots of pro experience, but pretty slight.
I hope Steeves can stick. He’s got some versatility. I wonder if he doesn’t end up part of deals this off-season.
More on the D side, I wonder if Marshall Rifai gets some games. Also a smart guy, decent size, late bloomer, didn’t look out of place during his cup of coffee. Or maybe an add-on to deals.
And Nick Abruzzese might get a sniff if MM is dealt; kids a bit of a PP wizard.
That's a pretty good list, I would add Minten and Tverberg on the F list and maybe Webber (though he and Chadwick might need a year in the A).

We don't exactly have a lot of open F spots on the big league roster. We might find ourselves in a "trade for position of strength" position to build the D by expending from the F surplus?

Reactions: arso40 and aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
That's a pretty good list, I would add Minten and Tverberg on the F list and maybe Webber (though he and Chadwick might need a year in the A).

We don't exactly have a lot of open F spots on the big league roster. We might find ourselves in a "trade for position of strength" position to build the D by expending from the F surplus?
Those are viable prospects, too. I didn’t mention Minten, just because of the numbers.
Both should be in the mix for 25-26.
I think you’re right, some forwards could be in play. Hopefully, at they’re peak value - like Saad /CHI. Might also see some prospect for different type of prospect deals.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Those are viable prospects, too. I didn’t mention Minten, just because of the numbers.
Both should be in the mix for 25-26.
I think you’re right, some forwards could be in play. Hopefully, at they’re peak value - like Saad /CHI. Might also see some prospect for different type of prospect deals.
You have your eye on any good young D?

Robertson for Schneider?

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
You have your eye on any good young D?

Robertson for Schneider?
I can’t say I know other teams dudes that well. Im not sure on Schneider other than then lotsa people her liking him; seems like he mighta been “Schenn’d”. Fabbri sounds like a smart buy low add.
I feel like trading NickRob right now is a low value proposition.
Hbu?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I can’t say I know other teams dudes that well. Im not sure on Schneider other than then lotsa people her liking him; seems like he mighta been “Schenn’d”. Fabbri sounds like a smart buy low add.
I feel like trading NickRob right now is a low value proposition.
Hbu?
Agree with all of that, I am not sure how we get his value up? I guess if we have three scoring lines out of Matthews, Nylander, Bertuzzi, Domi, Knies, McMann, Tavares, Robertson, Holmberg/Jarnkrok and no Marner or any player we get in a trade for him or free agency with the cap space. A long way of saying, is Robertson ever going to get too time including PP?

That's why I wonder about Schneider, be seems to have similar difficulty showing he can climb the Rangers D depth chart.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Agree with all of that, I am not sure how we get his value up? I guess if we have three scoring lines out of Matthews, Nylander, Bertuzzi, Domi, Knies, McMann, Tavares, Robertson, Holmberg/Jarnkrok and no Marner or any player we get in a trade for him or free agency with the cap space. A long way of saying, is Robertson ever going to get too time including PP?

That's why I wonder about Schneider, be seems to have similar difficulty showing he can climb the Rangers D depth chart.
He'd look good on pp1 just not sure how to get him on there

horner

May 22, 2007
Knies
McMann
Have made the leap

Next up : who sticks next from Marlies?
Holmberg (for good?)
Steeves: like to see him get a longer look
Kokkonen: rounding into that solid 6/7 D?
Niemela: needs to have a big leap in development year.

Other Rookies
Minten:
Cowan:
Grebyokin:
Chadwick:
Webber:

Will Berube be willing to stick with a few young guys and put up with some mistakes?
He will have no choice.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
He'd look good on pp1 just not sure how to get him on there
Exactly. I guess if we get a return in a Marner around two dmen, or one dman and cap space to get a second one that might open a spot up front for him.

Of course I forgot Cowan in the mix for ice time too.

Bertuzzi Matthews Domi
Robertson Holmberg Nylander
Knies Tavares McMann
Jarnkrok Dewar Cowan
Reaves

Rielly XXX
XXX Liljegren
Benoit McCabe
Lyubushkin

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Exactly. I guess if we get a return in a Marner around two dmen, or one dman and cap space to get a second one that might open a spot up front for him.

Of course I forgot Cowan in the mix for ice time too.

Bertuzzi Matthews Domi
Robertson Holmberg Nylander
Knies Tavares McMann
Jarnkrok Dewar Cowan
Reaves

Rielly XXX
XXX Liljegren
Benoit McCabe
Lyubushkin
McCabe definitely In the top 4 depending on which top 4 dman we get he either plays off side or strong side with rielly or lily as far as the forward group I would love toffoli In our top 6 playing with matthews and domi and Bert with Willy Two guys on separate lines that'll help our top 2 forwards keep some bite In their game... lily better hit the weight room this off season no more getting bullied down low

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad