Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
This is where i'm at. Talking & thinking about what the Kings should do roster wise, building, PLD, trades, new coach, etc., etc. -- it's all a waste of time & energy if Blake/etc. stick around. This was the least engaged i was in the Kings for many years....even at the beginning when they started off hot. I knew what was coming and it was not good. I didn't go to one single game this year -- I don't recall when the last time that happened. If ownership doesn't care, then why should I? Show me you care ownership, and i'm in. Otherwise, i'm on the sidelines.
I’m with you, it’s the least engaged I’ve been since I became a Kings fan in the 80’s. Plus the first season in a while that I bought zero merchandise.

I will defend this method to the end of time. There is ZERO reason for the cereal to go in first. It’s done nothing impressive to supersede the milk. 0 Goals 0 assists and ZERO hoes. Milk is better.
I knew you were crazy! It’s arguably the worst post I’ve ever read on these boards.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
I think Rosen got it right when he said a couple of guys fall on their sword and the fans get smoke blown up their ass in the form of The Plan 2.0.

Blake and Hiller are the obvious guys to fall. My guess is Blake quits immediately and Jim keeps the interim tag for a couple of months before the real next coach is hired. I'm sure they'll allow him to interview in the interim. Who knows, if Sturm bounces then Hiller might want the Ontario job.

I think Luc stays and it is because Dan Beckerman isn't prepared to overhaul the franchise. And the team, while disappointing in the post season, remains a playoff team next year and for a couple more, as long as Kopitar and Doughty are still productive.

As for the new GM, my money is on Bergie. And he'll get the official title, not interim. There are just too many connections to the front office to assume anyone else has the inside track. And I think there is no appetite for a protracted GM search. The only thing that makes me hesitate somewhat is I can see Luc wanting to look like a sharp President who scours the league for the next man (or woman) to be our GM.

The single biggest pressure point is the question of whether to buy out Dubois now. I've already heard the fake news about QB's next contract being the biggest question of the off season. First, all he is owed is his qualifying offer by, I believe, July 3rd. And then he has until camp to accept it. In the interim, they negotiate. So there is no deadline for QB until camp or the regular season or December deadline. He has zero rights and leverage and his 50 point season doesn't earn him a big money, long term deal, a la Stutzle. And his young age is going to make comparables difficult. Finally, Lafreniere signed a 3 year $2.35M deal last summer and scored like 40 goals this year. So he's going to fall somewhere north of there, but I doubt it's more than $5M on a short term deal, 2-3 years.

But the decision on Dubois is due first, before the draft or free agency, and it's purely driven by his age and birthdate. My guess is that it is too large a change at this time if you include the new GM and coach in the equation. Frankly, the only hope I have of them actually buying out Dubois is if Blake remains GM. He'll have the job security to make the tough decision. But I don't really see either scenario happening.

I think The Plan 2.0 will include a weighty post mortem on the Dubois year one disaster. One of the lessons learned will be that it turned out the head coach completely screwed up Dubois' line mates and deployment. Fingers will be pointed directly at Blake, McLellan and Hiller for not turning Dubois into Phil Danault, but more physical.

On a podcast, McLellan was recently interviewed and spoke at length about his admiration of Torts and their close friendship. I didn't know that before. And it was interesting to think about Dubois' notorious time under Torts and some of the comments right after McLellan got fired about the lift in the mood of the locker room. We were told McLellan was a hard coach who could be a real downer. When were uniformly fed the line about the only real problem with the team was confidence, what they meant was Todd was a good task master but didn't do a good enough job pointing out good things when the team was struggling to key players, like Dubois and I'm sure others will be called out (Gavrikov, Anderson, any other guys who regressed to the point of underperforming their contract value).

So assuming the answer to the Dubois question is that he is coming back, then we get right back to the question of next head coach. If it is Bergie's call, then the top two candidates that jump to my mind are Claude Julien and Gerard Gallant. I won't go into why, just look at the names. But whoever it is, I'm almost certain it will be a veteran coach. The big names are Quennville and Berube, but they'll have multiple suitors, and I don't see the Kings over paying for the next coach in order to win a bidding war. As for the rest of Blake's supporting cast (Emmer, Muzz, etc), I think they're on the clock for getting fired and busily updating their resumes since five minutes to go in the third period last night.

Bottom line, I foresee us continuing to operate like a mom and pop franchise, while Beckerman keeps Luc in charge. Hell, who know what TF these guys will do after this massively disappointing (by their own public expectations) season. All I know is that us fans will continue to cling to the ever fading memories of 2012 and 2014 as this front office continues to blow smoke up our collective rears.

God I hope you're wrong on everything you've said

With Utah, Seattle, Minny, St Louis competing , Anaheim rising and potentially only Winnipeg dipping...

given your analysis, we're not making the playoffs next season

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Yeah I don’t know why people gave me shit for this either. What have we necessarily accomplished with Kopitar at the helm? Also, why even extend him in the beginning of the season? Why not just evaluate later? It’s not like he gave the Kings a good deal either. Kopitar has gotten paid well his entire life with the Kings. They extended Todd for zero reason beginning of the season, and strapped an anchor to the Kings another two seasons with Kopitar
Don't disagree with you at all. Was Blake doing TMac a solid by giving him another year? Puzzling stuff has happened for sure, but what do I know.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
1000004222.gif

1-3-1 completely dismantled over and over.

It's time to move on.

Reactions: KINGS17

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think Rosen got it right when he said a couple of guys fall on their sword and the fans get smoke blown up their ass in the form of The Plan 2.0.

Blake and Hiller are the obvious guys to fall. My guess is Blake quits immediately and Jim keeps the interim tag for a couple of months before the real next coach is hired. I'm sure they'll allow him to interview in the interim. Who knows, if Sturm bounces then Hiller might want the Ontario job.

I think Luc stays and it is because Dan Beckerman isn't prepared to overhaul the franchise. And the team, while disappointing in the post season, remains a playoff team next year and for a couple more, as long as Kopitar and Doughty are still productive.

As for the new GM, my money is on Bergie. And he'll get the official title, not interim. There are just too many connections to the front office to assume anyone else has the inside track. And I think there is no appetite for a protracted GM search. The only thing that makes me hesitate somewhat is I can see Luc wanting to look like a sharp President who scours the league for the next man (or woman) to be our GM.

The single biggest pressure point is the question of whether to buy out Dubois now. I've already heard the fake news about QB's next contract being the biggest question of the off season. First, all he is owed is his qualifying offer by, I believe, July 3rd. And then he has until camp to accept it. In the interim, they negotiate. So there is no deadline for QB until camp or the regular season or December deadline. He has zero rights and leverage and his 50 point season doesn't earn him a big money, long term deal, a la Stutzle. And his young age is going to make comparables difficult. Finally, Lafreniere signed a 3 year $2.35M deal last summer and scored like 40 goals this year. So he's going to fall somewhere north of there, but I doubt it's more than $5M on a short term deal, 2-3 years.

But the decision on Dubois is due first, before the draft or free agency, and it's purely driven by his age and birthdate. My guess is that it is too large a change at this time if you include the new GM and coach in the equation. Frankly, the only hope I have of them actually buying out Dubois is if Blake remains GM. He'll have the job security to make the tough decision. But I don't really see either scenario happening.

I think The Plan 2.0 will include a weighty post mortem on the Dubois year one disaster. One of the lessons learned will be that it turned out the head coach completely screwed up Dubois' line mates and deployment. Fingers will be pointed directly at Blake, McLellan and Hiller for not turning Dubois into Phil Danault, but more physical.

On a podcast, McLellan was recently interviewed and spoke at length about his admiration of Torts and their close friendship. I didn't know that before. And it was interesting to think about Dubois' notorious time under Torts and some of the comments right after McLellan got fired about the lift in the mood of the locker room. We were told McLellan was a hard coach who could be a real downer. When were uniformly fed the line about the only real problem with the team was confidence, what they meant was Todd was a good task master but didn't do a good enough job pointing out good things when the team was struggling to key players, like Dubois and I'm sure others will be called out (Gavrikov, Anderson, any other guys who regressed to the point of underperforming their contract value).

So assuming the answer to the Dubois question is that he is coming back, then we get right back to the question of next head coach. If it is Bergie's call, then the top two candidates that jump to my mind are Claude Julien and Gerard Gallant. I won't go into why, just look at the names. But whoever it is, I'm almost certain it will be a veteran coach. The big names are Quennville and Berube, but they'll have multiple suitors, and I don't see the Kings over paying for the next coach in order to win a bidding war. As for the rest of Blake's supporting cast (Emmer, Muzz, etc), I think they're on the clock for getting fired and busily updating their resumes since five minutes to go in the third period last night.

Bottom line, I foresee us continuing to operate like a mom and pop franchise, while Beckerman keeps Luc in charge. Hell, who know what TF these guys will do after this massively disappointing (by their own public expectations) season. All I know is that us fans will continue to cling to the ever fading memories of 2012 and 2014 as this front office continues to blow smoke up our collective rears.
Thanks. I feel so much better :help:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not sure if that is the solution. Helped draft some OHL kids he had a good grasp on from his time as a scout. Was there other highlights?

Want an outside the organization hire with fresh eyes.
He is a former junior hockey GM as well, so he has experience as an executive. Was 2004-05 GM of the year.

Along with identifying players like Wayne Simmonds to target, when even CSS didn't have him ranked among all NA skaters, he seemed to have a pretty good eye for talent.

Reactions: KINGS17 and funky

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes

That's dark man.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
I love 95% of our posts and love reading them. But today I find myself quickly skimming through posts looking for links to media posts announcing terminations if the front office.

No use dreaming about summer transactions until we know what direction this franchise will take.

I am scared for our fan base right now. Been a fan since 88 and this may be the scariest summer to date.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica

This is an amazing summary of things. I pray it's wrong and we get something changing higher up than just Blake fired.

But just excellent work typing that all out and know it was appreciated. Doesn't make me feel much better, but I can totally see it happening.

Last edited:

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
the Wild helped make a spot for Faber by letting Dumba go. They saw what they had and made at least a top 4 spot for him.

Similary--if the Kings had Faber, suddenly Roy or Doughty is expendable, but the Kings would never.
The Wild could've also just not had the money to re-sign Dumba, especially with their $14m in dead cap (lol). Tough to say for sure what their reasoning was for letting him go but you bring up a good ass point for sure.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
For those waiting on breaking news, I’d point to the league not liking distractions during the playoffs. So, I think the second round starts next week. In the dead time, we should get some news IMO.

Reactions: funky

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
2024-25 Roster:

Kevin Fiala - Quinton Byfield - Adrian Kempe
Trevor Moore - Anze Kopitar - Samuel Fagemo
Alex Turcotte - Philip Danault - Alex Laferriere
Yakov Trenin - Blake Lizotte - Akil Thomas
*Kyle Clifford, A.J. Greer

Mikey Anderson - Drew Doughty
Vladislav Gavrikov - Brandt Clarke
Brendon Dillon - Jordan Spence
*Andreas Englund

Linus Ullmark
David Rittich

- PLD bought out
- David Rittich re-signed 1 year x 900k
- Yakov Trenin 3 years x 3M
- A.J. Greer 2 years x 1M
- Brendon Dillon 2 years x 3.5M
- Kyle Clifford try-out
- Ullmark traded for Kaliyev + 1st package
- Roy, Grundstrom, Arvidsson, let go

Reactions: Johnny Utah

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
This seems about right.
I would deal Doughty for Marner and re-sign Roy

Kempe-Kopitar-Marner
Fiala-Byfield-Moore
Turcotte-Danault-Fagemo
Laf-Thomas-Lewis
PLD (or bought out)

Anderson-Spence
Gavrikov-Roy
Moverare-Clarke

UFA/Trade
Ritich/Protillo
The last thing the Kings need is yet another B level scorer with zero toughness and who disappears in the playoffs. In fact, the only thing I’d accept out of Toronto at this point are picks.

Reactions: KINGS17

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
kings need to sell fully. If the Kings are serious about becoming a worthwhile team then next years roster cannot have Kopitar and Doughty on it. That’s the minimum buy in. If those two are on the roster next year then the Kings are going to be toiling away in mediocrity until they retire

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Kopi is not going anywhere.
DD only goes if he wants it and ask to be traded.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Lets keep it 100. Kopitar and Doughty have to both go.

Also, if we want to talk about failures during the post season... I think Trevor Moore is the biggest loser. I've never seen a player so defeated since the Joe Thornton days. What a loser. Trevor Moore continued to be a ghost despite being on the second line.

Trevor "31" goals Moore looked like he had already lost when the puck dropped and has looked like this since the previous game. Absolute loser.

Danualt gets a pass, he was doing great defensively until he got hit in the head.

Arvidsson. Trash. Fast, Flashy, and balance of a 3 year old with less clutch in him than Jordan Nolan.

Lizzo needs to play pingpong because he has no business being in a physical sport.
Lewis needs to go to florida and talk about his personal experiences during pearl harbor. Provided nothing Mr PK specialist.

Everyone else got shafted by awful line combinations.

Laf did well to be honest compared to how much shit he gets.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I know most people here don't follow the Galaxy, but since they are also owned by AEG I'll add some of my perspective when it comes to what AEG will do. And obviously Soccer is run differently than hockey so it won't like for like, but it is somewhat similar to what the Kings are going through right now.

Galaxy last won MLS in 2014 (already starting to sound familiar right?) Galaxy started to go downhill when their head coach and GM Bruce Arena left to join the US National team in 2016-17. And ever since that happened the Galaxy have been utter shit for a good portion of that time. A former player Chris Klein was promoted to President of the Galaxy around 2013 or so (again sound familiar?) The Galaxy had gone through about 4 different coaches since 2016 (really hitting home now) and missing the playoffs 5 out of the last 7 seasons and winning 2 playoffs games. Now fast forward to about late 2022/ early 2023 AEG secretly awards a contract extension to Chris Klein, much to the dismay of the Galaxy fans and their supporters groups for which they responded to by boycotting the games until Klein was fired. Galaxy were having a terrible 2023 season and he was indeed eventually fired.

Another member of the front office, Jovan Kirovski who also happened to be a former player, was noted for using his connections with European agents and find players who were out of favor with their club and needed a new one. He was also let go over the past couple of months.

Galaxy just brought in a new GM from outside the organization at the end of last season and made several moves that was extremely different from previous regimes. Galaxy now find themselves 2nd in the Western Conference and 3rd overall in the entire league over the first 10 games into the season.

I don't know if AEG and Beckerman are going to do the same thing with the Kings, but there are striking similarities between the 2 teams. I'm hoping that because the Kings are probably more of their priority than the Galaxy that they will be more aggressive with potential changes.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I know most people here don't follow the Galaxy, but since they are also owned by AEG I'll add some of my perspective when it comes to what AEG will do. And obviously Soccer is run differently than hockey so it won't like for like, but it is somewhat similar to what the Kings are going through right now.

Galaxy last won MLS in 2014 (already starting to sound familiar right?) Galaxy started to go downhill when their head coach and GM Bruce Arena left to join the US National team in 2016-17. And ever since that happened the Galaxy have been utter shit for a good portion of that time. A former player Chris Klein was promoted to President of the Galaxy around 2013 or so (again sound familiar?) The Galaxy had gone through about 4 different coaches since 2016 (really hitting home now) and missing the playoffs 5 out of the last 7 seasons and winning 2 playoffs games. Now fast forward to about late 2022/ early 2023 AEG secretly awards a contract extension to Chris Klein, much to the dismay of the Galaxy fans and their supporters groups for which they responded to by boycotting the games until Klein was fired. Galaxy were having a terrible 2023 season and he was indeed eventually fired.

Another member of the front office, Jovan Kirovski who also happened to be a former player, was noted for using his connections with European agents and find players who were out of favor with their club and needed a new one. He was also let go over the past couple of months.

Galaxy just brought in a new GM from outside the organization at the end of last season and made several moves that was extremely different from previous regimes. Galaxy now find themselves 2nd in the Western Conference and 3rd overall in the entire league over the first 10 games into the season.

I don't know if AEG and Beckerman are going to do the same thing with the Kings, but there are striking similarities between the 2 teams. I'm hoping that because the Kings are probably more of their priority than the Galaxy that they will be more aggressive with potential changes.
This begs the question, why hasn't Beckerman been fired?

Reactions: tbrown33

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
This begs the question, why hasn't Beckerman been fired?

It does beg the question. Beckerman has been here since what 2013? He obviously had no influence on the 2014 teams, but since then? We all know Lieweke could be polarizing, but I don't think anyone would doubt that he wanted to win. I think Beckerman is just there to keep making money.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Dubois needed to be better, but the Kings' poor planning with this trade is just as much of an issue.

That word planning is key there, because what has the plan been under Blake, Robitaille and this front office?

Was it to rebuild through the draft after 2019? Because they didn't do that. Was it to chase another Cup with Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty? After three consecutive first-round losses and limited room for improvement, that seems very unlikely.

Five years after the "rebuild" started, it doesn't seem there was ever a firm plan from this front office. No long-term planning on how to get this team back to Cup contention.

Or, perhaps more concerning, this was the plan. Drafting a lot of high-picks with no development path for them, only to trade some of your best prospects for pieces that won't get you over the hump as you chase a Cup with two fading legends.

This piece right here. Either this was the plan, and it failed spectacularly, or it wasn't the plan, and... what the hell happened? Why did the plan fail? Blake and company had everything they wanted and look at what we've accomplished.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

kinda lends credence to the claims that AEG is hands off til they don't have a choice. that's a very interesting chronology and definitely looks familiar. guess ultimately it depends on if beckerman sees any kind of light at the end of the tunnel with luc in charge or not. i think blake's probably toast either way but as much as i want it, i'm not entirely convinced luc's in any real danger

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad