Cale Makar enters top 30 all-time playoff points among dmen

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
This thread is a great example of postmodern deconstruction of how individuals choose to define things by their own terms without realizing that is simply their individual opinion and that opinion cannot be conflated or confused with consensus.

Reactions: Joe MacMillan

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Throughout the RS Makar was fumbling the puck quite a bit and therefore he was a bit frustrating to watch at times.

The down year people are referring to IMO was more n the defensive side of his game. Cale was not as good defensively as the years prior. Still pretty good but a down year by his standard. He was a lot more like himself in this series.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
This thread is a great example of postmodern deconstruction of how individuals choose to define things by their own terms without realizing that is simply their individual opinion and that opinion cannot be conflated or confused with consensus.
I’m confused…. I’d venture that the consensus is that if we deconstruct this post, the individual opines that the topic is divisive yet they conflate the argument with an exorbitant abundance of polysyllabic expressions.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
my mind is an enigma.jpg

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Wow, impressive! I can see him getting to the top 5-10 if Colorado continues to have a competitive team as the years go on.

Crazy to see Ray Bourque on that list despite all the years the Bruins were mediocre in the 80s and 90s.
More teams made the playoffs than missed them in those day. For example, in 1985 you had 21 teams, so only 5 teams missed the playoffs. By 1994 it was 24 teams so only 8 missed. It was easier to get lots of playoffs games and stats in the smaller league. Even today, half the teams will be in the playoffs every season.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Not sure what you were watching but he looked like the best player in the world against Winnipeg. He was up and down against Dallas but he had games where he was dominant as well like game 5.
Outside of game 1 yea he was dominant vs Winnipeg. I expected a lot more out of the Jets. They really disappointed.

I'm not trying to hate on Makar. When he is on his game he is the best offensive dman and its not close. But we are talking generational . Which means the entire package. He didn't play at that level this year.

Reactions: Alex1234

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I think it's fair to point out he wasn't at his best defensively in the Dallas series at least. He wasn't alone in that regard, Dallas is a really good team. He ended up -6 in the series despite being PPG.

If that's Makar playing bad, i'll take that.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Not sure what you were watching but he looked like the best player in the world against Winnipeg. He was up and down against Dallas but he had games where he was dominant as well like game 5.
Excellent offensivelly
Was -3 on a +6 team in the PO though
Struggled defensively

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I’m higher than Makar than most but even then generational seems like a pretty tame statement at this point.

Hobey Baker, Calder, Norris (will have 4 consecutive nominations after this season and assuredly would have won the Fox Norris if he wasn’t injured), Conn Smythe + cup to go along with being number 3 all time in regular season PPG as well as number 2 all time in playoff ppg and the sample size is large in both. His is probably the best or second best start to a defenceman career of all time, only rivalled by Orr who took a few years to get going (but was younger at the time).

i agree with you and will add that Denis Potvin transformed the NYI franchise but sure those 2 and Makr and then who has the 4th best start to their careers from the back end, probably Bourque and....coming up blank.

I guess some might have Bourque at the same age ahead though.
I challenge anyone to watch two playoff series’ of Matthews, Mackinnon, or Draisaitl and then do the same with Makar, most people will come away with the opinion that Makar is the best player of the four.
Man I don't know Draisaitl and Mack really bring it too.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
He didn't look very generational this playoff run or season.
Did you actually watch? lol

He had 2ppg through the first 6 games and was leading his team in scoring over that stretch. He had several dominant games stretches before and after that. That was after an injured down season (I’m guessing the classic painkiller cocktail cuz it was literally like a light switch from the end of the regular season to the playoffs)

He definitely had a down year in the regular season because his skating wasn’t (as) there. He was pacing 130 points and still playing great defense pre-injury. A down season of that caliber is pretty impressive

Dallas is also a great, deep team all around. Someone had to outplay the other.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I watched most of the Av games in the playoffs. He had a few big Offensive games. He also had a few duds. He also had some really bad games in his own end. You cant call what he did generational . He is still the cream of the crop.
Soundly outplayed by Heskainen. Wasn't even close. Makar showed he can control the blue line with the best of them and very few in nhl history can take over the offensive and defensive side like Makar can when he's on.

The problem with Makar is the last part of the sentence. When he's on. Makar hasn't looked good defensively for almost all of this season. And the season before. There are spurts where he looks like he can be the best player in the league. And much longer stretches of ten to twenty games in a row where he puts up some good PP numbers but looks very pedestrian defensively.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
He's definitely good at shooting the puck from the blue line but I didn't think he was very engaged defensively against Dallas.
He was great when his team had some momentum but Dallas depth (not all stars, but really good lines and D) just took over.

The first couple periods of game 6 Makar looked like the best player, made a bunch of great defensive/breakout plays and could have gotten a few more points. Dallas just stole all the momentum after that. May very well be their year

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I think it's fair to point out he wasn't at his best defensively in the Dallas series at least. He wasn't alone in that regard, Dallas is a really good team. He ended up -6 in the series despite being PPG.

If that's Makar playing bad, i'll take that.
Makar's offensive game this season and playoffs has been elite, just like it has been since he entered the league.

However, during his Norris/Conn Smythe season, he was also great defensively (not as elite as his offensive game, but great nonetheless).

This entire season, I would not classify Makar's defensive game as "great."

So that's why many say he was having a "down" year. The offense was there, the defense was not.

Even then, his "down" year was still Norris nomination worthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad