Online Series: Baby Reindeer

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Has anyone else watched this on Netflix? It's an insane limited series that really takes off on episode three.

*Spoiler below*

If any woman came into a bar, started beating the shit out of a woman I was dating, I would be feeding her left and rights like a prime Tie Domi. That scene was brutal. I felt so bad for his date. She was petrified. The stalker woman was attacking like a rabid animal. Freaky stuff.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Think I binged it in a day last weekend. Had heard it mentioned here and there. Really well done. Touches on a lot of issues you wouldnt expect it to hit when you first start it. Really went down a road I didn't expect.

I really thought it was mainly going to be about a man being stalked, and because it was a man being stalked by a women they took forever to act. But its not really like that at all. Really dives deep into mental health, and how that can make someone make what look like some really strange decisions on the surface, but its really being fueled by something that is being supressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dubi Doo

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Think I binged it in a day last weekend. Had heard it mentioned here and there. Really well done. Touches on a lot of issues you wouldnt expect it to hit when you first start it. Really went down a road I didn't expect.

I really thought it was mainly going to be about a man being stalked, and because it was a man being stalked by a women they took forever to act. But its not really like that at all. Really dives deep into mental health, and how that can make someone make what look like some really strange decisions on the surface, but its really being fueled by something that is being supressed.
The acting is top notch, too. The main character has so many layers he needs to touch on, and he kills it.

The scene where he's strung out with that show producer was the chef's kiss. The actor killed it. Episode four in general was insane. I was wondering why this dude wasn't contacting the police earlier, and it became apparent during that episode why. Just too much damn trauma and he felt like she was mentally ill like he was. Also, that episode shows why it's so hard for rape victims to come forward; his entire self-worth was completely destroyed, and he lost who he was (and still can't find his old self).

Episode 6 was also insane. She smashes him in the head with a glass at the bar, and then he's clearly in shock of it all. The chef's kiss of that episode was him using his comedy show to let out all of his past demons. Amazing stuff. I love how the tension slowly rise then just explodes when Martha loses her shit.

Martha also deserves credit for her acting skills. Have to wonder if they'll win any awards. So much range in their acting. From her laugh to her violent outbursts to her lifeless eyes when he takes her home from the bench. It's so well done.

I thought it'd be boring, but it's one of those shows that will stick for me for life. The bar fight where she attacks his date really stuck with me. The way she was screaming and just physically attacking like a rabid animal. So well done that I wished I could've jumped in to save his date, but man- that amount of rage in person, even a woman, is very hard to control. She was like a defensive tackle trying to get to the QB!

So yeah, amazing show. Pretty much two extremely mentally ill people making matters worse for each other. It's been #1 for a bit on Netflix. I have one episode left, and can't wait to watch it!

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
The acting is top notch, too. The main character has so many layers he needs to touch on, and he kills it.

The scene where he's strung out with that show producer was the chef's kiss. The actor killed it. Episode four in general was insane. I was wondering why this dude wasn't contacting the police earlier, and it became apparent during that episode why. Just too much damn trauma and he felt like she was mentally ill like he was. Also, that episode shows why it's so hard for rape victims to come forward; his entire self-worth was completely destroyed, and he lost who he was (and still can't find his old self).

Episode 6 was also insane. She smashes him in the head with a glass at the bar, and then he's clearly in shock of it all. The chef's kiss of that episode was him using his comedy show to let out all of his past demons. Amazing stuff. I love how the tension slowly rise then just explodes when Martha loses her shit.

Martha also deserves credit for her acting skills. Have to wonder if they'll win any awards. So much range in their acting. From her laugh to her violent outbursts to her lifeless eyes when he takes her home from the bench. It's so well done.

I thought it'd be boring, but it's one of those shows that will stick for me for life. The bar fight where she attacks his date really stuck with me. The way she was screaming and just physically attacking like a rabid animal. So well done that I wished I could've jumped in to save his date, but man- that amount of rage in person, even a woman, is very hard to control. She was like a defensive tackle trying to get to the QB!

So yeah, amazing show. Pretty much two extremely mentally ill people making matters worse for each other. It's been #1 for a bit on Netflix. I have one episode left, and can't wait to watch it!
Yeah the entire first half of the series I just kept thinking, why tf hasnt this dude gone to the police yet? This girl is batshit insane. And then the shoe drops and you find out why... Great reveal and story telling.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

The best part is its true but probably embellished stalking story of the main actor richard gabb

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Did not expect it to be so dark, was kind of thinking it would be a Fleabag type dramedy show.

Really pushes the audience out of their comfort zone, or at least it did that for me. Sexual trauma is not something I think about very often and feel lucky to have not experienced. Used to work with youth in addiction and man did this show bring some of that stuff up and remind me why I got out of it.

The performances needed to be top notch and they really were. The actress playing Martha was incredible. The storytelling in this show was truly unique, I don't think I've seen anything quite like it before. That kind of vulnerability and deep level of honesty is rare. Well done Richard Gadd, I think he really pulled off something special here.

Reactions: Lshap and Dubi Doo

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Does anyone know if the emails they randomly show throughout the show are her real emails?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Does anyone know if the emails they randomly show throughout the show are her real emails?
I don't think so, but they're probably a very close reflection. In his interviews, Gadd explained he deliberately made the Martha character look and sound different enough to keep his real stalker's identity secret.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Watched in this in less than 24 hours and loved. The two main characters are such great actors.

I'm looking for another show like this...30 minute episodes, preferably limited series, where it seems like something is always happening and the plot doesn't drag. My attention span is not great. Any recommendations?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I don't think so, but they're probably a very close reflection. In his interviews, Gadd explained he deliberately made the Martha character look and sound different enough to keep his real stalker's identity secret.
I had no idea the actor was same guy as the movie is based on. No wonder be killed it!

Reactions: Lshap

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
Watched in this in less than 24 hours and loved. The two main characters are such great actors.

I'm looking for another show like this...30 minute episodes, preferably limited series, where it seems like something is always happening and the plot doesn't drag. My attention span is not great. Any recommendations?
Sugar on Apple.

Reactions: Megahab

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
I started this series without really knowing the premise, only read somewhere that Stephen King made a "Holy Shit" comment about it on social media.
And holy shit is right. I'm only 3 episodes in and Martha has got to be one of the most unnerving characters I've seen in a while. Like genuinely scary and gave me Misery vibes.

I normally don't comment on a show or movie as I'm watching it, but I was practically yelling "no! don't do it" in episode 1 as he was debating whether or not to accept her friend request.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I started this series without really knowing the premise, only read somewhere that Stephen King made a "Holy Shit" comment about it on social media.
And holy shit is right. I'm only 3 episodes in and Martha has got to be one of the most unnerving characters I've seen in a while. Like genuinely scary and gave me Misery vibes.

I normally don't comment on a show or movie as I'm watching it, but I was practically yelling "no! don't do it" in episode 1 as he was debating whether or not to accept her friend request.
I just finished ep 4 ... rough hard watch for any dude.

I was legit in a dark place after

Not even sure I want to finish the series.

------

Finished it .. it was good, id give it a 3.5/5 .. thought the first 3 EP were better the finish. The big monologue scene didnt stick the landing imo.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I just finished ep 4 ... rough hard watch for any dude.

I was legit in a dark place after

Not even sure I want to finish the series.
Episode 4 is the roughest for sure. If you got through that, then you should be able to get through the rest of it. But I do understand some people needing to take a step back, especially if said person has experienced similar trauma. My wife and I had to fast forward through one of the scenes in that episode.

Episode 3 spoiler:
Honestly, the fight in the bar with the woman he was dating freaked me out just as much. She completely destroyed an incredibly confident person. The look on anger on Martha's face and the terror on his date's face said it all. Crazy episode.

And people are still trying to find out who she is. I'm glad he tried to hide her identity. She's very clearly extremely mentally ill.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Episode 4 is the roughest for sure. If you got through that, then you should be able to get through the rest of it. But I do understand some people needing to take a step back, especially if said person has experienced similar trauma. My wife and I had to fast forward through one of the scenes in that episode.

Episode 3 spoiler:
Honestly, the fight in the bar with the woman he was dating freaked me out just as much. She completely destroyed an incredibly confident person. The look on anger on Martha's face and the terror on his date's face said it all. Crazy episode.

And people are still trying to find out who she is. I'm glad he tried to hide her identity. She's very clearly extremely mentally ill.
Shes spoken publicly basically saying a lot of it is fabricated and not true. Since she spoke out and identified herself, people have seen her facebook and everyone says she types and posts exactly like how she does in the show. Pretty sad.

• Wow

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I haven't seen this so I might be picking up this post very wrong but they found out who she is, he didn't try very hard, and she is very clearly in need of help:

(opinions on Piers Morgan shoehorning himself into such a scenario for his own benefit notwithstanding)

Reactions: Neil Racki

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad