Around the NHL 2023 - Playoffs 2024

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Necas is slightly larger and slightly more physical than Marner. Necas isn't as responsible with the puck with nearly twice as many giveaways/60 than takeaways/60. They both giveaway at roughly the same rate but marners takeaways make it a break even for him.

Marner is the superior player. Necas won't cost as much to acquire or cap to extend. Necas should be in the 7-8 million range whereas marner is already near 11 million. A cap savings of 4ish million is a another player upgrade elsewhere. So I guess it would depend on what you want ... a premium talent or 1 good/great and room to add 1 more good player

I'm personally interested in Kotkaniemi as well. He is still very young but his contract currently is terrible

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'm personally interested in Kotkaniemi as well. He is still very young but his contract currently is terrible
Yeah I'd be very interested in Kotkaniemi as a reclamation project. I'm not super high on him really but a young C that has shown flashes of being a 2C is definitely compelling. Would much rather give him a try than another season of Glass at this point.

Reactions: herzausstein

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Necas is a revolving door. He can be really good when he's there. But then he disappears again. Has a propensity to make some boneheaded plays that Canes fans always get a bit of a kick in the pants over.

Will be very interesting to see where Guentzel winds up.......
Word is he wants to stay and be stapled to Aho.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I haven't ever really watched much of Necas but I think Necas is generally considered to be pretty poor defensively whereas Marner is at least above average.

FWIW I saw that Evolving Hockey has a projected Necas contract in the $7.5M x 7year range. That's a lot for a guy who isn't a surefire top liner. Given the choice I'd still prefer to pay a bit more and give up more assets to get Marner.
Not that I'm saying we should offer him that but with the Cap going up 7.5 is now 2nd line money

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If you were an Av's fan you knew if the hockey gods stepped in that was going to be who scored it.
I wonder what they can do with Nichushkin? He still has 6 years left on that contract. It has to be such a gut-punch when a key guy playing that well gets kicked out in the middle of the playoffs TWICE now. I don't see how an organization is able to accept that? Maybe they don't have any actual recourse if the player is in the NHLPA program? But damn, losing Landeskog and then having him self-destruct like that can't be fun. It's also Rantanen's last season under contract coming up...

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I wonder what they can do with Nichushkin? He still has 6 years left on that contract. It has to be such a gut-punch when a key guy playing that well gets kicked out in the middle of the playoffs TWICE now. I don't see how an organization is able to accept that? Maybe they don't have any actual recourse if the player is in the NHLPA program? But damn, losing Landeskog and then having him self-destruct like that can't be fun. It's also Rantanen's last season under contract coming up...
Don't they have to keep him until he's out of the program? He's suspended 6 months, right?

In the end though, I'd think MacFarland has to buy him out. He proven he's completely unreliable in the most pivotal moments. Best for everyone not to run it back again.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
As far as I know as long as he follows the program the only thing they can do is buy him out, and I don't know that they can do that while he is still in it. Now if he doesn't follow the program I think they can terminate the contract but that's something they won't know for a while.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
A Nichushkin buyout would be an interesting risk/reward option for a team willing to give another shot since it would presumably be low $$. Seems jist as plausible he goes back to Russia though.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
As far as I know as long as he follows the program the only thing they can do is buy him out, and I don't know that they can do that while he is still in it. Now if he doesn't follow the program I think they can terminate the contract but that's something they won't know for a while.
Colorado will probably be hoping he violates his program conditions in some way so that they can just terminate him. Or that he wants to maintain his recreational habits badly enough to agree to a mutual termination so that he can carry on with his lifestyle in the KHL.

They wouldn’t be able to buy him out until the ordinary course window opens in June 2025.

Well of course they can also hope that he completely and permanently rehabilitates instead.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Colorado will probably be hoping he violates his program conditions in some way so that they can just terminate him. Or that he wants to maintain his recreational habits badly enough to agree to a mutual termination so that he can carry on with his lifestyle in the KHL.

They wouldn’t be able to buy him out until the ordinary course window opens in June 2025.

Well of course they can also hope that he completely and permanently rehabilitates instead.
My guess is the team hopes he gets his life back together, but they may prefer he do it somewhere else. I mean two years in a row? Even for the most patient guys thats gotta be a tough pill to swallow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad