Prospect Info: [2023 - 69th] Jacob Fowler (NCAA - Boston College)

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I assumed Perreault would go back as he needs to bulk up. There were rumors saying Smith would turn pro right after their season ended but it didn't sound like a good idea. I said last summer that Cooley should have stayed one more year to bulk up more. Not a big fan of kids going to the NCAA for 1 year and turning pro.
cooley did fine in his d+2 season. its obvious that 5v5, he needed the extra strength. as for perreault and smith, i agree. They aren't physically ready and there's no rush. one's team is the worst in the league and the other is the presidents trophy winner. Honestly, it would've made more sense for Leonard to go pro but i guess that isnt happening

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Dangerous decision. Hughes was lucky to see him still available in the 3rd round. 4 or 5 other goalies have been drafted ahead of him.
Then he wasn’t lucky, his talent evaluation is maybe just better then the ones who picked the other goalies.

Fowler has been passed over and over his entire life, it took our scouts to spot the specialness of this player.

So out of this draft, we got Reinbacher, Newhook, Xhekaj and Fowler…….great haul if you ask me!

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I assumed Perreault would go back as he needs to bulk up. There were rumors saying Smith would turn pro right after their season ended but it didn't sound like a good idea. I said last summer that Cooley should have stayed one more year to bulk up more. Not a big fan of kids going to the NCAA for 1 year and turning pro.
If the NCAA isn't going to allow players to sign an NHL contract they should leave after one year

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Luckily he also has the good numbers to go with the wins... Unlike Fucale.
But he doesn't have the TSN cheering section Fucale had. They pushed Dvorak, too. MB made some good moves but someone should have told him not to watch dumb sports TV.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
That's a positive sign, though it doesn't mean he's actually 6'2. BU's website lists Hutson as 5'10. But we're not sure that's in fact his height.
Probably means Demko isn’t really 6’4

I don’t mind Fowler’s size because of what’s between his ears.

If he can shred down to 195 for endurance purposes, he’s gonna be one special goalie.

Between he, Volokhin, Dobes and Primeau, the future is bright between the pipes.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Probably means Demko isn’t really 6’4

I don’t mind Fowler’s size because of what’s between his ears.

If he can shred down to 195 for endurance purposes, he’s gonna be one special goalie.

Between he, Volokhin, Dobes and Primeau, the future is bright between the pipes.
We just need one of them to pop.

• Love
Reactions: jaffy27

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
just saw where BC is losing Leddy to transfer portal, sounds like he's going to the ECAC. They have 2 Seniors on D as well so the D will be interesting next since half of them will b gone. They led the entire NCAA in shot blocks and were among the best teams in GA as well.

I also saw where Smith is still undecided, it sounds like the Sharks really want him to turn pro but he wants to return.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fowler reminds me of Jeremy Swayman. A mid round pick out of US high school. First year college save percentage in .920s.

Primeau had great numbers in the NCAA as well. Fowler is on his track but could be better. I like his confidence. He seems like a leader and is well respected from guys around his age. There is a certain level of "it" factor with this kid. Not like Price but kind of.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fucale was always a trash pick. Anyone that could look past the W column could tell you that Jarry and even Comrie were better picks. So much draft PTSD with this team.

That's easy to say today. I am in Halifax and watch a lot of Mooseheads games. Fucale was considered a big piece of that core back when and had a lot of pedigree. His numbers in his draft year was very good for regular season and playoffs.

An early 2nd round dart was used and the biggest problem was he just didn't improve when he turned pro. At the time of the draft, he was highly rated. There is no way to spin this. Maybe there were a few people who didn't like him but most did. Looking back in hindsight, he looked better because that Mooseheads roster was stacked. They lost several players for the World Juniors and the players left went on a 5 game winning streak without their top core.

Not a bad pick. It happens. Look at the up/down rollercoaster ride Primeau has went through. Same with Monty who is a bit older. This is about being stubborn and improving while dealing with rough times. Fucale couldn't handle it. Same with Drouin. It's very possible they thought they made it after being drafted and let their foot off the gas in wanting to improve. Not mentally strong enough to handle set backs.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
BC won't be as strong, curious to see how he reacts. It's also an opportunity to see maybe see him sign.

They'll still be very good. Leonard and Perrault will be back and Hagens is joining that roster.

No way Fowler signs this summer. He -might- at the end of next year, but I'd like to see him do 3 years so we can ensure Dobes gets enough of the net.

Reactions: morhilane

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Never allowed it but why can't they change it? I guess that is the question? What are the reasons why the NCAA won't allow it?

they are corrupt for one thing. If you are interested in a really good movie that exposes them back in the '70's, it's about one of USA's all time greatest track stars and his coach who created Nike, He was at the University of Oregon where he worked with the legendary coach Bill Bowerman, later to Olympics in Munich where the governing body that it's my understanding were the ones that kept them from being paid athletes, would play games with his eligibility so that they could extract fees in put in their pockets to get him to race at non Olympic events and if he didn't and ran in the races they didn't want they would use their pull to have anyone that raced against him banned from Olympic eligibility.

If they get sued then it would likely change as that's what has happened in college football if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
they are corrupt for one thing. If you are interested in a really good movie that exposes them back in the '70's, it's about one of USA's all time greatest track stars and his coach who created Nike, He was at the University of Oregon where he worked with the legendary coach Bill Bowerman, later to Olympics in Munich where the governing body that it's my understanding were the ones that kept them from being paid athletes, would play games with his eligibility so that they could extract fees in put in their pockets to get him to race at non Olympic events and if he didn't and ran in the races they didn't want they would use their pull to have anyone that raced against him banned from Olympic eligibility.

If they get sued then it would likely change as that's what has happened in college football if I'm not mistaken.

Good stuff. Definitely going to check into this

Reactions: montreal

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
The NCAA has always been full of themselves.... Allowing athletes to be exploited while the university and coaching staff rake in millions...

Two-way street. So-called scholar-athletes reaped the benefits and riches (either under the table or by other means) while doing little or no academic work.

The system is crashing and the next few years are going to be tumultuous for college sports in the USA.

In many ways, the club system in Europe - by completely separating athletics and academics - is far more beneficial to individuals (both in terms of receiving a quality education while developing to their full potential as an athlete).

Last edited:

Mudz

David >> Michkov
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
They'll still be very good. Leonard and Perrault will be back and Hagens is joining that roster.

No way Fowler signs this summer. He -might- at the end of next year, but I'd like to see him do 3 years so we can ensure Dobes gets enough of the net.

Yeah I meant Fowler signing at the end of next season. IMO it's highly probable he does. And I don't mean BC will be a bottom feeder, just less a powerhouse maybe. Gauthier leaving is big too. Selfishly, the more BC struggle, the happier I am.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad